• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OTClient Stuck on "Please wait : Connecting to login server" (ERROR: got a network message with invalid checksum)

Epsilons

Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
EpsilonsQc
Dear OTLand community,

I'm reaching out for assistance regarding issues I'm encountering while attempting to connect to my server with the Edubart OTClient v0.6.6. I'll provide detailed steps of my setup, hoping someone can offer a solution.

DETAILS
I began by cloning repositories for The Forgotten Server v1.4.2 (github.com/otland/forgottenserver) and Edubart OTClient v0.6.6 (github.com/edubart/otclient), followed by installing all necessary libraries to compile both server and client successfully in Visual Studio. Additionally, I set up Apache and MySQL using XAMPP, created a database with PhpMyAdmin, and imported TFS "schema.sql" into the database.

In the TFS "config.lua" I configured the MySQL connection details as follows:
Lua:
-- MySQL
mysqlHost = "localhost"
mysqlUser = "root"
mysqlPass = ""
mysqlDatabase = "forgottenserver"
mysqlPort = 3306
mysqlSock = ""
passwordType = "sha1"

For the Edubart OTClient, I obtained the required files (Tibia.dat and Tibia.spr) from downloads.ots.me/?dir=data/tibia-clients/dat_and_spr and placed them in "data\things\VERSION" (mine is "data\things\1098").

I then installed the latest release of MyACC (github.com/slawkens/myaac) and created a god (admin) account successfully. Confirming the server's online status via the web browser at "localhost/?online" and verifying the account's presence in the database through PhpMyAdmin.

Screenshot from MyACC webpage with server up and running:
Screenshot_1.png

THE PROBLEM
Despite successful setup, when attempting to connect to the game with the client, I encounter the following error message (within the client console):
C++:
ERROR: got a network message with invalid checksum
at:
    [C++]: ?internalRecvData@Protocol@@AEAAXPEAEG@Z

The connection remains stuck at "Please wait: Connecting to login server..."

I'm uncertain about the cause or how to proceed further. Any help, explanation, or solution would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to any assistance you can provide.

Server running:
TheForgottenServer.png

Issue Encountered when i'm trying to login in the client:
OTClient.png

ADDITIONAL NOTES
This is how I attempt to connect to the game in the client:
Server: localhost
Client version: 1098
Port: 3306 [edit: this is erroneous, the correct port to connect to the game is 7171]

Last edited:
I've managed to pinpoint the source of my issue. It seems I've been using the incorrect port on the client side. Silly oversight on my part! Instead of the MySQL port (3306), I should have been utilizing port 7171 for connectivity. This crucial detail is actually specified within the TFS "config.lua". Lesson learned!

Lua:
-- Connection Config
-- NOTE: maxPlayers set to 0 means no limit
-- NOTE: allowWalkthrough is only applicable to players
ip = "127.0.0.1"
bindOnlyGlobalAddress = false
loginProtocolPort = 7171
gameProtocolPort = 7172
statusProtocolPort = 7171
maxPlayers = 0
motd = "Welcome to The Forgotten Server!"

Unfortunately, my struggles persisted, and a new hurdle emerged.
Now the connection is being blocked with the error message: "Login Error: Only clients with protocol 13.10 allowed!"

In the Edubart OTClient v0.6.6, the maximum available client version/protocol is 1099. However, I'm receiving an error from the server login indicating that the only supported client version/protocol is 13.10.

I then proceeded to modify the server as described below and compiled it again.
[edit: do not do the following step if you have a similar problem, this will not fix the issue at hand, and will only cause other client prococol problem's]
I noticed that this protocol/client version is configurable on TFS within the "definitions.h" file. To resolve this issue, I edited the CLIENT_VERSION_MIN and CLIENT_VERSION_MAX values and compiled the server again.

definitions.h from TFS:
C++:
static constexpr auto CLIENT_VERSION_MIN = 1099;
static constexpr auto CLIENT_VERSION_MAX = 1099;
static constexpr auto CLIENT_VERSION_STR = "10.99";

STILL CAN'T GET IN-GAME
Despite this progress, I'm still unable to connect to the game. But now I can access the Character List. But unfortunatly, when I select a character and click "OK", the client then remain stuck on "Please wait: Connecting to game server..." indefinitely while the following error pop up in the client console.

C++:
ERROR: ProtocolGame parse message exception (4875 bytes unread, last opcode is 0, prev opcode is 160): unhandled opcode 0

Not sure why that is so I tried to re-clone both repo, re-compile, re-install the MySQL database and the MyACC website from scratch, etc. but ended up with the exact same issue again.

Looking forward to any assistance you can provide.

Last edited:
Are you using Edubart's OTClient? It doesn't support versions 13x+ or v8... The correct choice is to use Mehah, which supports up to version 13.21+. Even I know that Canary works very well with Mehah's OTClient only... I've seen someone make a request to the developer about using TFS 1.5 13.21 with OTClient. He replied that he couldn't provide any help and suggested searching on YouTube or finding a tutorial, haha... No one can get an OTClient for that TFS 1.5 13.21 xD.

Why don't you use TFS 1.4.2 with 10.98? It works very well with OTClient Mehah or OTClient v8...

Are you using Edubart's OTClient?
Indeed, i am.

Why don't you use TFS 1.4.2 with 10.98? It works very well with Mehah OTClient or OTClient v8...
I was instructed to use Edubart OTClient alongside TFS, although specific version details and compatibility information were not provided.

After careful troubleshooting, I have successfully resolved the remaining issues and gained access to the game environment. I had to use The Forgotten Server v1.2 (github.com/otland/forgottenserver/releases/tag/v1.2) in conjunction with Edubart OTClient v0.6.6 (github.com/edubart/otclient).

I encountered a lingering problem when attempting to utilize The Forgotten Server v1.4.2, as it proved incompatible with Edubart OTClient v0.6.6 due to conflicting client protocols. So despite adjusting the CLIENT_VERSION_MIN and CLIENT_VERSION_MAX settings in the definitions.h file on the server, I remained unable to access the game. However, I've successfully resolved the issue by using The Forgotten Server v1.2 instead.

So basically, the proper setup for my use case is :
  • The Forgotten Server v1.2 [compatible with client protocol 1097 and 1098]
    github.com/otland/forgottenserver/releases/tag/v1.2

• Edubart OTClient v0.6.6
    github.com/edubart/otclient

• Client/data/things/1098 (for Tibia.dat and Tibia.spr)
    downloads.ots.me/data/tibia-clients/dat_and_spr/1098.zip

• XAMPP with Apache and MySQL/PhpMyAdmin (for server database)
    apachefriends.org

• MyACC v0.8.16 (for website and account creation/management)
    github.com/slawkens/myaac/releases

Enter_Game.png

In_Game.png

Last edited:
I would suggest utilizing OTC v8 developed by Kondra or Academy, as they are more current and offer superior performance compared to Edubart, which is considered outdated.

1-Kondra.

2- Academy.

And what about Mehah OTClient Redemption, based off Edubart?

Can you resume the differences between all these clients?
Are they all based off the same base and just forked at some point in the past into their own thing?

Also am I better off using Canary instead of TFS 1.4.2?

And what about Mehah OTClient Redemption, based off Edubart?

Can you resume the differences between all these clients?
Are they all based off the same base and just forked at some point in the past into their own thing?

Also am I better off using Canary instead of TFS 1.4.2?

There are several publications.

It will always generate debate and supporters for each one. It's better to try both and draw your own conclusions

Mehah's is the ONLY ONE ACTIVELY DEVELOPED AND TESTED. Both OTCv8 and Mehah's (redemption) are based on edubarts, however OTCv8 was created with a built-in bot to target devs trying to make money, so the person who made it could also make a lot of money... and now that the money flow is gone, the project is back to being dead. Mehah's doesn't suffer from that problem.

I encountered a lingering problem when attempting to utilize The Forgotten Server v1.4.2, as it proved incompatible with Edubart OTClient v0.6.6 due to conflicting client protocols. So despite adjusting the CLIENT_VERSION_MIN and CLIENT_VERSION_MAX settings in the definitions.h file on the server, I remained unable to access the game. However, I've successfully resolved the issue by using The Forgotten Server v1.2 instead.

I'm using Edubart's OTClient with the same versions you were trying with, OTC 0.6.6 and client version/protocol 10.98, and I just managed to log into my character and load into the world by using TFS 1.4.0.

The other clients that got mentioned might still be better options to work off, but I thought I'd share it in case anybody found it useful regardless. It's not 1.4.2 exactly, but the leap from 1.2 to 1.4 might still be worth taking if you want to keep using this client. I didn't have to do anything strange to get it working either, it seems the only allowed protocol for TFS 1.4.0 is 10.98, much like it was telling the OP that 1.4.2 required 13.10.