• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Success Tips to Creating a Great OT [By Leftwing]

I won't agree with you here.

DREAM BIG, OR GO HOME.

The huge world outline is like canvas, it's inspiring, the areas just fit themselves in like puzzle when you have time to think about how do you want the world to look like - you can just block out unfinished parts with like like ... a bridge with boulders on it, that get "removed" by the nearby peasants once you finish the area, or whatever else

Starting small and building on causes people to make maps that are made of 30+ same-sized islands, which as a whole just looks crappy.

People who are to give up, WILL give up either way - be it building the world from scratch at once, OR starting small and then giving up after X update

Last edited:
Thanks Red for sharing those tips, they are very useful.

Last edited:
Good tips!

Yeah those super custom ots are usually fun, but they also get boring after a few days with the alchemy, mining, the hundred other features.

Interesting map (can even use the tibia mainland and go from there if no time to make a whole map), vocations can be a bit tweaked to fit their jobs better but not too much, nice rates = perfect for me :)

One of the best thread I have ever seen here in otland.net! If some "creators" of servers... give pause to analyze these mentioned points, we would have a better quality of otservs :cool:

I disagree a lot with this post. I think deaming big is important, wether you make it to your goal or not is not what matters. Attempting to create an epic project form scratch provides a massive amount of knowledge for any developer.

I've have to dream big and go against what everyone says a couple of times in my life, and I do not regret a thing, that's how I started my company.

Please note I do not disagree in starting small, I think projects should be tested each step of the way, start with core features and then get to the details, first nail it, then scale it.

Hello guys, I am a bit tempted to start my own ot server but i would need someones help. If anyone here knows what program i need to use to open a datapack please give me a link and i will try it because now i can't even open a start pack ;D

Mgs me as fast as you can please.

Hello guys, I am a bit tempted to start my own ot server but i would need someones help. If anyone here knows what program i need to use to open a datapack please give me a link and i will try it because now i can't even open a start pack ;D

Mgs me as fast as you can please.

I watched this tutorial when I first came to OtLand and it taught me all the basics to getting a server set up:
https://otland.net/threads/video-tu...ing-ot-server-website-and-shop-system.166818/

Thread created by Leftwing. I reposted it since he was not a moderator.

Are you creating a new OT server and you want it to be successful? Then I suggest reading this! Also please disregard my sarcasm and suggestions of death, I mean no offence. If this is too long then check the TL;DR, but please I implore you to read on!

Every single time I check this forum I see at least one new thread, whether it be here in the discussion forum, the jobs forum or even the mapping forum. What are these threads? Why they are the threads people create when they are starting their OT project. Simple enough right? Your going to make something and you want people to know. However, do you know the consequences to making one such thread? I bet most of you don't, or else you'd have 50+ people on your server that's hosted on a Dedicated Server you support with donations every month. But that's why I'm creating this thread: To help you!

I mentioned above that there are consequences to making such threads, however there is also benefits too. Although these benefits might seem worth the trouble, it's often not. You see, people don't realize that advertisement is a double edged sword. Previewing information, images and ideas to the public can hurt the servers potential. You might ask why? Here's why:

~ People do not realize that giving out too much information can be overwhelming to potential players.
This means: 1) Giving us too much information discourages new players from joining
2) Differing too much from the Norm can also discourage players from joining
3) Far-fetched ideas are often ridiculed and seen as a waste of time

Say someone creates a totally new server with a massive new map, massive new features such as professions (Alchemist, Tanner etc), and creates a whole new spell system. In this thread readers are bombarded by information. If you read the comments, you'll notice people saying "Sounds awesome!" and "I can't wait to play!" Congratulations, those are your only two dedicated players. What you aren't seeing are the masses in your thread. You see a select few of our community members telling you "dude, good job!" but what you are really missing is that large, core group of players you can only get by sticking to time-tested standards we see in successful OT servers all over the world.

~ Want to start a project from scratch? Think again.
I don't like discouraging people from embarking on quests of glory to create something epic, but please. You are wasting your time. Creating something large out of the gate is foolish. For one, your attention span isn't likely going to last 3 years. You will get bored, you will give up. It's happened to me, it will happen to you.

~ Trying to make a team? Why not join one instead?
I hate going into the job section and seeing someone with a thread recruiting members, yet they barely have 70 posts. We don't know who you are, so why would we want to team up with you? I can tell you that you'll get farther into the core community by joining a project that's looking for people than by making one yourself. However, if no one is currently making a project, then that's your cue to make one yourself. Just one warning: Don't try to be too fancy. I'd suggest recruiting lesser-known and newer members as well into your project. Just because your map doesn't look like Neon's work or HesteN's Scarlet Horn doesn't mean your server can't be successful. Look at most of the custom OTs that have lots of players: Their maps suck.

~ Creating some massive continent with tons of islands? Kill yourself.
I don't mean to be rude, but this is the first mistake everyone makes when starting a project. You say you want to make some massive map, you want to fill it up with every spawn imaginable, and you want to do it all in say 6 months. It's time to put the gun in your mouth. BUT WAIT! You also want a desert continent, jungle continent and ice islands! PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER. You sir, or ma'am, have jumped into the pit of wasting your god damn time and should just out yourself from this world.

Just kidding, but please, do not waste your time. Start small. Make key spawns. Look at Real Tibia. They started with Thais. Their map size was litterally 500x500 SQM in their original version. I got to tell you, the best thing you can do is work on a strong yet small map, create interesting quests and balance the gameplay. Maps can be added on after release! Not only does this reduce development time, it sets realistic goals and attracts users. Your server is simple, yet elegant. You will be able to be active and update as you see fit.

Addition on 18/1/2012:

~ Communicate with your players!
The best thing you can do as the owner of a server is communicating with your players. Not only will just having contact with someone who runs the server keep them around, it will give them a link to the server, a reason to stay. Through communication you can learn much about what people want, why they want it and how you should modify your server. Remember that you as an owner are offering a service, a service which must be frequently updated to keep the population around. When it comes down to it this is the best way to get into the community and to make new friends, which in my experience is the best thing about OTs, it connects people.

~ Don't just observe, interact!
This goes along with the point above: If you aren't actually involved with your server and are simply just watching it grow from the shadows you are less likely to keep players around. I've logged into servers and played for weeks, never ever finding a GM or talking to someone who could answer my questions about the server. This is one problem with OTs: No matter where you are from you cannot interact with all your players at the same time inside the game, however outside the game is something that works well. By using these forums and the advertisement section you can communicate with your players even if you or they are not online. OTland itself is massive resource for your server, why not make it the hub of your offline-communication? In other words, don't waste your time making a forum requiring people to register, because people are lazy!

TL;DR
~ Don't try to create the perfect
~ Keep it simple and easy for people to play
~ Don't waste your time with a 10000x10000 map
~ Start small and update
~ Listen to your players
~ Don't bother making a team if you know people won't help you
~ Try joining other teams

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to post here!

Sincerely,
Leftwing

Permalink to the old thread.

It is funny to read your post and then check your signature hAHAHAHAHAHAH that made my day!!! Btw good job, seems awesome your OT.

I like this most of it was true and he did give good advice ! start from small and grow bigger after step by step :) like Rl tibia ! i mostly loved that part !
Thank you Sir for the tread. :)

Back