• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion to better accommodate new people asking for advice

Bahaha

Reaction score
WOW unrelated title. I hit the wrong button somewhere ;)
"Suggestion to better accommodate new people asking for advice"

I understand it is frustrating, but I feel it is also this sites fault. We should put some effort into making an official resource page for new people looking to compile a server. It would only have to be very basic:

How to set up a MYSQL server (already exists)
How to set up a server + config (already exists)
How to connect with the client (already exists)

We should understand that a lot of people who are new to this are young and stupid or naive. If we had a simple and easy to find spot which listed this information I think we could save a lot of hassle as well as grow the community. This information is on the boards now, but it is not very intuitive to find. I feel like we should have a whole forum subsection directly under "news" entitled "3 simple guides to start your own OT." Doing this, we could remove every problem associated with this from the boards and leave it in there.

The forum set-up does not have to be set in stone guys, the community is always changing and it is worth looking at ways to improve it. If we want the community to survive and strive we have to accomodate new people.

Sorry to bump this old thread but... since I used your great and wonderful search bar and it brought me here i figured I might as well put my 2 cents in..
If it had not been for otfans when i first started i would never have stuck around .. since there you could find alot of help .. here the community feeling is lacking i'm afraid .. and as for the search you ask i searched for " How do I make a GM character without running a server?" which brought me here.. makes no since really. How ever hopefully otfans will be what it once was in the near future. Here's one guy that is looking up at the stars and hoping anyway. Good day.

For something like this it's best to make a thread on Support
It's pretty simple to do so I think you could expect an solution really quickly.
The support community here is lacking a little I guess, but recently there has been 5 members who are actively helping members out with scripts and compiling issues etc, they're very skilled with what they do and they reply very quickly.

Back