• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Support Shadowcores!

Is paying for an update a good way to revive the server?

• Total voters

kokosanka

Reaction score
@Mark , how would you like to please us all and make some new stuff for the server?
I have a proposition, perhaps you'd be interested. I would just like to know your opinion about it.

I know that adding new expansions requires people to be interested in creating it, so therefore I'd like to bring up a proposal called "donations for next update". It wouldn't give players anything, perhaps just a "contributor" rank on forums, and would help to collect money purely for updating the server - you could even hire people for regular jobs this way. Just tell us how much money to get for you, and I'm sure plenty of people will contribute. We all love playing Shadowcores, but its a fact that the server is dying. We'd like to keep it alive somehow.

So here it is. If you're interested, I'm interested aswell.
It's your call.

Last edited:
The lack of updates has nothing to do with money, none of us are doing this for money. It's because of other commitments and lack of interest for different reasons. As for making enough money to hire someone else to do it, I don't think "donations for next update" would bring in enough. We'd have to count it as sales, and the amount that would be the hires salary would most likely amount to less than 20% of what you contributed after payroll tax, corporate tax, up to two thirds lost to DaoPay/phone operator fees, 25% in VAT from everyone in EU countries. We would need to make at least 3000 EUR through PayPal per month to make it work (and twice the amount if the payments are through phone/SMS).

If you don't like ShadowCores as-is, you're better off finding a different server to play on. We're looking into updating to 10.8, but that's about it.

^up
Thank you for the reply.
As to the whole "u don't like it, don't play it" attitude - it is very distrubing, yet I can still accept it - its your server. I think you do realise that I'm not writing all this becouse I don't like the server, but becouse I really, REALLY do.

As to hiring someone, it doesn't really require all that effort. You could start a kickstarter campaign for "paying the server cost", this way you'd only pay a small fee to the service and a simple tax. The hired people aren't really needed to be from the EU or US. I've seen Brazilian programmers or even Chinese ones making stuff like this for 1/10 of the regular price. You can hire them like a gardener, paying for the job done, not for the hours of work. To them, the price is enough. Whats your daily payroll is their years income. You wouldn't even be necessary at all during this, only accepting and launching every server version.

It's your call, I'm not really into telling you what to do. All in all it was just an idea. The server is still playable as hell... a bit empty - yes - but playable.

I'm pretty sure theres tons of dedicated people that would like to help in some way without getting payed, weither it's mapping, coding or scripting. Though I can understand that finding people you can trust may be a issue. But somehow you should be able to solve it.

The lack of updates has nothing to do with money, none of us are doing this for money. It's because of other commitments and lack of interest for different reasons. As for making enough money to hire someone else to do it, I don't think "donations for next update" would bring in enough. We'd have to count it as sales, and the amount that would be the hires salary would most likely amount to less than 20% of what you contributed after payroll tax, corporate tax, up to two thirds lost to DaoPay/phone operator fees, 25% in VAT from everyone in EU countries. We would need to make at least 3000 EUR through PayPal per month to make it work (and twice the amount if the payments are through phone/SMS).

If you don't like ShadowCores as-is, you're better off finding a different server to play on. We're looking into updating to 10.8, but that's about it.
You can be proud of you and your team. Shadowcores has been the most populated and the best OT server. (in my opinion) People usually get bored after a X time but, thats just a cycle, and the Shadowcores' cycle has rocked.

@Mark really you can get free packages on the ot list for update roshamuul and no way would it cost £3000 to update the server are you kidding me? shadowcores was best ot for 2-3 years straight and if you wanna keep shadowcores open then best to update it as if you did trust me you will reach 1000+ players online daily again. not saying this to cause problems or anything just saying you worked hard to keep this server up since 2012 so why not keep that up?

mark is just lazy to do it, he gathered x amount of cash and now he doesnt give a fuck. simple

cry is free quit the server and start enjoying ur life newbies.

@Mark really you can get free packages on the ot list for update roshamuul and no way would it cost £3000 to update the server are you kidding me? shadowcores was best ot for 2-3 years straight and if you wanna keep shadowcores open then best to update it as if you did trust me you will reach 1000+ players online daily again. not saying this to cause problems or anything just saying you worked hard to keep this server up since 2012 so why not keep that up?

No one with servers* like Twifysoft would download things like that, would be just as much work as tracking a new map.
* In most cases people add items like golden helmet etc to be able to "abuse" on servers that do use them.

The main problem I guess is that the team he had? does not feel up for it anymore, you do that with most things - after a long time you wanna move on to newer things to explore.

mark is just lazy to do it, he gathered x amount of cash and now he doesnt give a fuck. simple

cry is free quit the server and start enjoying ur life newbies.

If that was the issue, how come he had icechaw etc up for such a long time with like 2-3 players online?
You really can't compare good OT owners with those that kill a server after they have gained the first 1k.
Aka 99% of all rlmaps on otservlist.

Back