• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Lua TFS 0.3.7, NPC default speech, how to change?

Xikini

I whore myself out for likes
Senator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
I use the below script for the starting of all of my npc's.
I want to change their default text behaviour, but I don't understand the npc system well enough to alter it.

I found the below/below information in data/npc/lib/npcsystem/npchandler.lua
However this obviously changes it for every npc, and not just npc to npc.

I've attempted to integrate that section into my actual npc, however my attempts are laughable at best, as I have no idea why, how, or where to place it, or even if that is the correct approach.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Xikini
XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<npc name="Test Npc" script="data/npc/scripts/test.lua" walkinterval="500" floorchange="0">
   <health now="100" max="100"/>
   <look type="132" head="57" body="0" legs="0" feet="56" addons="2"/>
</npc>
Lua:
local keywordHandler = KeywordHandler:new()
local npcHandler = NpcHandler:new(keywordHandler)
NpcSystem.parseParameters(npcHandler)
local talkState = {}

function onCreatureAppear(cid)       npcHandler:onCreatureAppear(cid)       end
function onCreatureDisappear(cid)     npcHandler:onCreatureDisappear(cid)       end
function onCreatureSay(cid, type, msg)     npcHandler:onCreatureSay(cid, type, msg)     end

function onThink()
   npcHandler:onThink()
end

function getNpcName()
    return getCreatureName(getNpcId())
end

function greet(cid)
   talkState[cid] = 0
   return true
end

function creatureSayCallback(cid, type, msg)
    if(not npcHandler:isFocused(cid)) then
        return false
    end

local talkUser = NPCHANDLER_CONVBEHAVIOR == CONVERSATION_DEFAULT and 0 or cid

if msgcontains(msg, "job") then
       selfSay("I am a test Npc.", cid)
       talkState[talkUser] = 0
   elseif msgcontains(msg, "name") then
       selfSay("My name is " .. getNpcName() .. ".", cid)
       talkState[talkUser] = 0
   end

return true
end

npcHandler:setCallback(CALLBACK_GREET, greet)
npcHandler:setCallback(CALLBACK_MESSAGE_DEFAULT, creatureSayCallback)
npcHandler:addModule(FocusModule:new())
Lua:
messages = {
           -- These are the default replies of all npcs. They can/should be changed individually for each npc.
           [MESSAGE_GREET]    = 'Welcome, |PLAYERNAME|! I have been expecting you.',
           [MESSAGE_FAREWELL]    = 'Good bye, |PLAYERNAME|!',
           [MESSAGE_BUY]        = 'Do you want to buy |ITEMCOUNT| |ITEMNAME| for |TOTALCOST| gold coins?',
           [MESSAGE_ONBUY]    = 'It was a pleasure doing business with you.',
           [MESSAGE_BOUGHT]    = 'Bought |ITEMCOUNT|x |ITEMNAME| for |TOTALCOST| gold.',
           [MESSAGE_SELL]        = 'Do you want to sell |ITEMCOUNT| |ITEMNAME| for |TOTALCOST| gold coins?',
           [MESSAGE_ONSELL]    = 'Thank you for this |ITEMNAME|, |PLAYERNAME|.',
           [MESSAGE_SOLD]       = 'Sold |ITEMCOUNT|x |ITEMNAME| for |TOTALCOST| gold.',
           [MESSAGE_MISSINGMONEY]   = 'Sorry, you don\'t have enough money.',
           [MESSAGE_MISSINGITEM]    = 'You don\'t even have that item, |PLAYERNAME|!',
           [MESSAGE_NEEDMONEY]    = 'You do not have enough money.',
           [MESSAGE_NEEDITEM]   = 'You do not have this object.',
           [MESSAGE_NEEDSPACE]   = 'You do not have enough capacity.',
           [MESSAGE_NEEDMORESPACE]   = 'You do not have enough capacity for all items.',
           [MESSAGE_IDLETIMEOUT]    = 'Next, please!',
           [MESSAGE_WALKAWAY]    = 'How rude!',
           [MESSAGE_DECLINE]   = 'Not good enough, is it... ?',
           [MESSAGE_SENDTRADE]   = 'Here\'s my offer, |PLAYERNAME|. Don\'t you like it?',
           [MESSAGE_NOSHOP]   = 'Sorry, I\'m not offering anything.',
           [MESSAGE_ONCLOSESHOP]   = 'Thank you, come back when you want something more.',
           [MESSAGE_ALREADYFOCUSED]= '|PLAYERNAME|! I am already talking to you...',
           [MESSAGE_PLACEDINQUEUE] = '|PLAYERNAME|, please wait for your turn. There are |QUEUESIZE| customers before you.'
       }

Solution
If you had gone through the content of npchandler.lua thoroughly, you would have seen that you're presented with two options ;)

Lua:
npcHandler:setMessage(MESSAGE_GREET, "someGreetMessage")
XML:
<parameter key="message_greet" value="someGreetMessage" />

-- Edit --

Sorry, the XML approach can be found in npcsystem.lua and not npchandler.lua. :oops:
If you had gone through the content of npchandler.lua thoroughly, you would have seen that you're presented with two options ;)

Lua:
XML:

-- Edit --

Sorry, the XML approach can be found in npcsystem.lua and not npchandler.lua. :oops:

Last edited:
Solution

Lua:
XML:

-- Edit --

That's my bad, I actually wrote it wrong. Your correct it's npcsystem.lua not npchandler.lua :rolleyes:
This works great for me. I don't have any problem adding the applicable lines into the xml document. xP

Thanks!