• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

TFS and OTClient Commercial use?

Acedayz

Reaction score
Would I be able to sell a modified OTClient (on Steam for example) that connects to TFS legally? Without using CipSoft's sprites of course.
If so, are there any requirements to do so?

I'm interested in creating an mmo using these, but I'm no lawyer and I'd like to be certain it's legal before I continue.

TFS is licensed under the GNU General Public License v2.0.
OTClient is made available under the MIT License.

some copy pasta

Can Open Source software be used for commercial purposes?

Absolutely. All Open Source software can be used for commercial purpose; the Open Source Definition guarantees this. You can even sell Open Source software.
However, note that commercial is not the same as proprietary.
If you receive software under an Open Source license, you can always use that software for commercial purposes, but that doesn't always mean you can place further restrictions on people who receive the software from you. In particular, copyleft-style Open Source licenses require that, in at least some cases, when you distribute the software, you must do so under the same license you received it under.

Google and learn what the respective license means and you will know what you can and can not do. Some licenses require you to give the anyone whos asking your source code if you use it commercially. Some just require you to have a notice somewhere on your app that you use their stuff or whatever. Im not an expert so I can not answer your question tho :)

For OTClient you have MIT License, that will alow it's use for whatever you want with the only restriction of copyright notice and copy of the License distribuited together.

For TFS you have GNU GPL v2 License, it stated that if you change the code and make the software available you should make the source code available also, but since the server is used internally, you won't need to share anything, and can totally use it for commercial purpose. So you can USE it for commercial purpose, but not sell the software without the source code, or distribute the software without the source code. For curiosity sake, notice that TFS has GNU GPL v2 License because it's a branch of OtServ, that originally has it too. Also if you sell it, the person that bought and you will both still have the rights to distribute it for free, since you can't restrict the rights stated in the License and whoever you sell it to must be allowed to use, modify and redistribute it as allowed by the GPL.

I'm actually following the same path, and had the same concerns. I'm also using OpenTibia Sprite Pack that uses CC-BY 4.0 and was a choice I made after reading about this license stuff (which is not technically perfect since there are some free domain sprites in it), and impose the sole restriction of attribution, so it might be stated that you are using sprites from the OpenTibia Sprite Pack or details about the authors.

Last edited:
For OTClient you have MIT License, that will alow it's use for whatever you want with the only restriction of copyright notice and copy of the License distribuited together.

For TFS you have GNU GPL v2 License, it stated that if you change the code and make the software available you should make the source code available also, but since the server is used internally, you won't need to share anything, and can totally use it for commercial purpose. So you can USE it for commercial purpose, but not sell the software without the source code, or distribute the software without the source code. For curiosity sake, notice that TFS has GNU GPL v2 License because it's a branch of OtServ, that originally has it too. Also if you sell it, the person that bought and you will both still have the rights to distribute it for free, since you can't restrict the rights stated in the License and whoever you sell it to must be allowed to use, modify and redistribute it as allowed by the GPL.

I'm actually following the same path, and had the same concerns. I'm also using OpenTibia Sprite Pack that uses CC-BY 4.0 and was a choice I made after reading about this license stuff (which is not technically perfect since there are some free domain sprites in it), and impose the sole restriction of attribution, so it might be stated that you are using sprites from the OpenTibia Sprite Pack or details about the authors.

Thanks a lot, that's the answer I was looking for!

Back