• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The LINYE (Linux Is Not Your Enemy) Q&A Thread - Ask away

Damon

Check my status to contact me :)
Solutions
Reaction score
Having observed the years of change on Otland and OT in general, Linux has become more and more important as an efficient solution for OTS. What also seems to be the case though is that many people still seem to be "afraid" or hesitant to use Linux. I've been the same back then. I've only sticked to those often ridiculously expensive Windows VPS hosts instead of getting my a** app and dealing with Linux. I wish I had done so earlier. Not only is using Linux cheaper and more efficient (imho) but also do you aquire important soft skills which you can make use of not only in the OTS scene (similar to PHP and LUA which can also be used for other things than OT). I, myself, am not much into OTS development anymore but what I've taken away from learning/getting into Linux has paid back tenfold. I am by no means an expert. What I'd like to say about myself is that I've learned through trial and error and found out how to google efficiently. Of course, after some time you also remember some things but what I'm getting at is: Linux is not your enemy. Hence the title of the project.

Soo.. this thread is meant for you to ask any quick questions about how you can do X on Linux or any other Linux related questions. While I won't be able to help much with questions on the OTS side, I can help with general Linux things. Then, of course, this community has great people who know Linux and OTS like @HalfAway (cheaters anyway heh?!) that will probably also chime in here I can imagine. So see this thread as an opportunity to tackle Linux! Get involved! Mingle with it. Mess with it. Embrace it. When there are any questions, come back!

So now, ask away your questions ;)

Getting a cheap vps to mingle with:
Check out some hourly billed CloudVPS services like Vultr, DigitalOcean and LunaNode. You pay like 0,05$/hour and can re-install/re-image/destroy/backup/cancel anytime. Often they also have free 10$-50$ credit for newcomers :)

Or spin up a Virtualbox on Localhost on your home PC :)

Last edited:
How you can successfully maintain any linux distro on machine with nvidia graphic card installed?
A simple task of updating your system may result in a complete annihilation and total drivers mayhem (i.e. recent ubuntu 8.x update)
As servers? Fuck yea, As dev stations? Why not, it's fine. But as your every day time consumer it is just not convenient enough

How you can successfully maintain any linux distro on machine with nvidia graphic card installed?
A simple task of updating your system may result in a complete annihilation and total drivers mayhem (i.e. recent ubuntu 8.x update)
As servers? Fuck yea, As dev stations? Why not, it's fine. But as your every day time consumer it is just not convenient enough

To be honest I have ceased using Linux as any kind of desktop alternative. For one, I'm a gamer (Graphic Card & Game compatability issues..you name it) and most Software I use for Development/Design also runs on Windows. I only use Linux for servers. Either some public vps for gameservers/development/staging/loadtest/template-creation.. or my RaspberryPi at home for a Plex Media Server ;)

I guess there are ways to setup linux distros with an nvidea graphics card, and there are ways to emulate games (playonlinux).. but that's just not my cup of tea. I use linux for convenience in a server environment. For desktop/graphics usage I stick to Windows since I am not using Linux for "privacy" reasons or whatever either.

@Damon If you use Windows 10, I don't think you even need virtualbox. In fact you can kinda run Linux... Natively... in Windows!

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL):

I havent tried it myself, but it would be awesome if you could install Ubuntu 18.04 as a WSL container and get a TFS server running there.
I'm considering experimenting with this and get a tutorial up.

I believe this is especially powerful for local development. Since you don't have to worry about syncing files between VMs etc, no SFTP or rsync or FTP neccesary since you can work directly with the same files in Linux as you use in Windows. (This gets installed by default, no Linux knowledge or mounting commands neccesary).

Last edited:
@Damon If you use Windows 10, I don't think you even need virtualbox. In fact you can kinda run Linux... Natively... in Windows!

I havent tried it myself, but it would be awesome if you could install Ubuntu 18.04 as a WSL container and get a TFS server running there.

I believe this is especially powerful for local development. Since you don't have to worry about syncing files between VMs etc, no SFTP or rsync or FTP neccesary since you can work directly with the same files in Linux as you use in Windows. (This gets installed by default, no Linux knowledge or mounting commands neccesary).

Thanks for the hint :) I agree that it appears to be quite powerful and easy to use but some times a separated development/server environment can be more beneficial. I've actually heard about this Windows Subsystem for Linux before, but never got around to make use of it. Perhaps I'll give it a test run in the future to move some folders, rsync or try installing youtube-dl/ffmpeg. Need to watch the video to see how separated it actually is, if we are talking about containerss. Interesting nontheless :p

Well, Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu are a pain in the ass, like many things are in this field.
I eventually gave up. Though I don't really need it, which is why I didn't bother too much.
There are basically 3 ways to go with it.
1: You actually manage to always update it in a good way and have it running. (Good luck)
2: You get it running once and just leave it that way (never touch a running system)
3: Simply don't use it. I don't know about all GUIs. I use i3 with a self-made i3status-bar and a self-made i3lock. It simply doesn't need the driver. Luckily. Since I only use it for work and university, I don't play on it anways. That's why there is dual-boot.

Didn't know that WSL is already stable. Combination with Docker makes it a suitable platform for development almost any kind of application on Windows.

What about WSL performance? Is it good enough for production use? (host linux version of TFS on windows directly using WSL)

Didn't know that WSL is already stable. Combination with Docker makes it a suitable platform for development almost any kind of application on Windows.

What about WSL performance? Is it good enough for production use? (host linux version of TFS on windows directly using WSL)

I havent gotten around to stress test it. But I imagine it will perform better than other virtualisation programs such as VMWare or VirtualBox, especially if you don't have hardware accelerators such as VT-x/AMD-V enabled in your bios.

And the pre-configured windows integration is amazing, especially for development. This isn't a sandbox, you got access to the windows filesystem and directories right off the bat. No need to sync files, since you can work in the same files.

No need to fiddle around with networking or anything. You can work with it as if its the same computer. (It is, but if you have played with virtualisation before, you get my point)?

Last edited:

Did geekbench test, very impressive results:

Windows 10 host system:

WSL Ubuntu 18.04 (Windows 10):

Most things are actually faster in the WSL container than in native Windows. :eek:
Everything except Text Rendering and Image Inpainting is faster, some things like Ray Tracing is significantly faster in WSL Ubuntu 18.04.

Performance might actually be better in WSL Ubuntu 18.04 than running natively in Windows.

Did geekbench test, very impressive results:

Windows 10 host system:

WSL Ubuntu 18.04 (Windows 10):

Most things are actually faster in the WSL container than in native Windows. :eek:
Everything except Text Rendering and Image Inpainting is faster, some things like Ray Tracing is significantly faster in WSL Ubuntu 18.04.

Performance might actually be better in WSL Ubuntu 18.04 than running natively in Windows.
would be nice if someone made a tutorial on how to compile+run tfs on WSL windows blink blink

nginx 1.17, php 7.4 beta, TFS 1.3.

Smooth sailing. :) The official compiling guide for Ubuntu worked just fine.

But sockets don't autostart in WSL and has to be manually started after you restart your computer.
Solved this by just running these commands (I wrap them into start.sh file and shell it):
Code:
sudo service nginx start
sudo service mysql start
sudo service php7.4-fpm start

WSL_Ubuntu_success.JPG

Im currently in the process of moving my dev environment (VirtualBox Ubuntu VM) into WSL. Saving some disk space.

Compiling was super fast, since I was able to use all my threads (Got a Ryzen 8 core, 16 thread CPU). In my virtualbox VM I had to allocate these resources so I would cut down on reserved CPU cores, memmory etc.

Is this "built in" Linux in Windows just like a standalone Ubuntu? I got really curious about this now as this would make my life working with realOTS 10x better.

It's just a terminal, requires more configuration to get it working with a GUI.

Back