• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The state of Dragon Ball OT servers (as for 2024)

TheSeviest

Reaction score
GitHub
Sevelar
Hello, my first post here!

I've recently came back to OT servers after almost a decade long break (I was just 13 years old, when I first started playing on OT servers, thanks to my uncle).
I'm seeing new Dragon Ball OT servers popping up every now and then and I thought about starting a discussion on them. Who knows, maybe the market and interest of custom OT servers isn't that small?

As I am aware - Dragon Ball OT servers are mostly recognized within Polish and Brazilians (I'm Polish myself), though maybe that can apply to the entire Tibia community. I'm not sure. I tried classic Tibia a few times myself, but I found myself enjoying custom servers more.
Back when last time I was playing on OT servers, I recall classic DB servers like DBVictory (which is surprisingly still alive), DBNS (and the infamous clone server DBBS; also huge drama between owners) or DBKO.
DBV was definitely the slowest server to level on, which is why I took liking to DBNS more back then.
I probably skipped dozens of more DB servers, which I haven't played on, like WoDBO, but yeah - haven't played, can't say much about them.
The things I loved about them: Leveling, Reborn systems (god, I loved every new transformation/outfit), quests!

But all these Dragon Ball servers had lots in common (maybe even too much...), like... almost all the graphics.
Coming back today, I'm still surprised how modern DB servers are still using the same graphics from over 10 years ago!

I'm aware that lots of these servers are literally using graphics from Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury, but it still surprises me so much how none of these servers tried anything new. Have they been told that Super Saiyan 2 doesn't look like 1:1 Super Saiyan 1? I'm not even sure, if the game itself had SSJ2 transformation, as I'm pretty sure that would be probably impossible to distinguish them, while having only 32x32 pixels available.
Buuuut it's also known to me, that a lot of these servers literally copied graphics from one and another...

Personally, I think it's a shame that these servers aren't more ambitious for the funding they often receive... Personally I started playing on recent DBKO Inferno server and so far, it's decent enough. But it's also extremely pay-to-win, and opinions like "it's a good server, but once you put some money into it" are really distorting my idea of a fun server to commit my time into.
I'd be nice to see something beyond Buu's Fury graphics (or just actually put effort to try making something new out of them, not gonna lie I started playing with these sprites myself in the free time).
It would be nice to have a proper saga system and really put emphasis on "Dragon Ball", rather than being jack of all trades (DBKOI for example has a mix bag of Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail...? Like, why?).

Additionally, I think it's a shame that almost all of these servers are just PVP focused. Like, I understand that PVE servers might be much less popular than PVP in Tibia community (since there's an appeal of WARs), but personally I'm a fan of just beating monsters rather than players. Especially, when a server has a literal bot built into it, lol.

IMO current modern Dragon Ball OTS serve more as a cash grabs rather than servers to invest your time into, which is a huge shame. I'd love to see them leave that mentality and focus more on all players, rather than only those, who can spend thousands on the server just to get a private outfit. Like okay, if you have that generous sponsors, then why we don't see big things on the server? Oh right, because only two people are working on it...

Recently I even started gathering my own ideas for the "perfect" DB-focused game, buuut I'm not really talented in art, so making my ideas come true would defitely take years... That simple front Goku took me a few days to create:
1710011319042.png
I might know how to code, but coder's biggest obstacle will always be design-
Personally, I'd love to be a part of Dragon Ball project, simply because I love this franchise.

I'm curious about other people's opinions on that matter.
Does it also bother you, that Dragon Ball servers almost didn't change at all over the span of 10 years? That these servers still use the same graphics from 10 years ago and their poor saga systems are still very basic, rather than being one of the main focus of the gameplay? What would you like to see from a good Dragon Ball OT server, that tries to be something more than just another clone of old servers?

Would you like it to be more "Dragon Ball" and less "Tibia" or the other way around?

OTSs that I think are worth checking out:
DBLots - first and still the best DB OTS, well balanced, a lot of content, good PvP, no bots, no resets.
RotS - custom sprites, Tibia perspective outfits, unique content, but slow-paced compared to other DB OTS, no resets.
DBP - DB Priority - one main server with no resets, but mainly editions lasting few months. Fast pace, huge maps.
DBW ots - DB World - hard server, old-school DBLots style.

There are a few other DB OTS, such as DB Universe or DBSU, but they are mostly "cash grab ots" with resets after 2-3 weeks.

OTSs that I think are worth checking out:
DBLots - first and still the best DB OTS, well balanced, a lot of content, good PvP, no bots, no resets.
RotS - custom sprites, Tibia perspective outfits, unique content, but slow-paced compared to other DB OTS, no resets.
DBP - DB Priority - one main server with no resets, but mainly editions lasting few months. Fast pace, huge maps.
DBW ots - DB World - hard server, old-school DBLots style.

There are a few other DB OTS, such as DB Universe or DBSU, but they are mostly "cash grab ots" with resets after 2-3 weeks.
Woah, thank you for the detailed list. I will make sure to check them out!

hi im a returning player too played wodbo as a kid and now i wanna start again bc of nostalgia blablabla. did u found any good server to play without p2w

Hello, my first post here!

I've recently came back to OT servers after almost a decade long break (I was just 13 years old, when I first started playing on OT servers, thanks to my uncle).
I'm seeing new Dragon Ball OT servers popping up every now and then and I thought about starting a discussion on them. Who knows, maybe the market and interest of custom OT servers isn't that small?

As I am aware - Dragon Ball OT servers are mostly recognized within Polish and Brazilians (I'm Polish myself), though maybe that can apply to the entire Tibia community. I'm not sure. I tried classic Tibia a few times myself, but I found myself enjoying custom servers more.
Back when last time I was playing on OT servers, I recall classic DB servers like DBVictory (which is surprisingly still alive), DBNS (and the infamous clone server DBBS; also huge drama between owners) or DBKO.
DBV was definitely the slowest server to level on, which is why I took liking to DBNS more back then.
I probably skipped dozens of more DB servers, which I haven't played on, like WoDBO, but yeah - haven't played, can't say much about them.
The things I loved about them: Leveling, Reborn systems (god, I loved every new transformation/outfit), quests!

But all these Dragon Ball servers had lots in common (maybe even too much...), like... almost all the graphics.
Coming back today, I'm still surprised how modern DB servers are still using the same graphics from over 10 years ago!

I'm aware that lots of these servers are literally using graphics from Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury, but it still surprises me so much how none of these servers tried anything new. Have they been told that Super Saiyan 2 doesn't look like 1:1 Super Saiyan 1? I'm not even sure, if the game itself had SSJ2 transformation, as I'm pretty sure that would be probably impossible to distinguish them, while having only 32x32 pixels available.
Buuuut it's also known to me, that a lot of these servers literally copied graphics from one and another...

Personally, I think it's a shame that these servers aren't more ambitious for the funding they often receive... Personally I started playing on recent DBKO Inferno server and so far, it's decent enough. But it's also extremely pay-to-win, and opinions like "it's a good server, but once you put some money into it" are really distorting my idea of a fun server to commit my time into.
I'd be nice to see something beyond Buu's Fury graphics (or just actually put effort to try making something new out of them, not gonna lie I started playing with these sprites myself in the free time).
It would be nice to have a proper saga system and really put emphasis on "Dragon Ball", rather than being jack of all trades (DBKOI for example has a mix bag of Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail...? Like, why?).

Additionally, I think it's a shame that almost all of these servers are just PVP focused. Like, I understand that PVE servers might be much less popular than PVP in Tibia community (since there's an appeal of WARs), but personally I'm a fan of just beating monsters rather than players. Especially, when a server has a literal bot built into it, lol.

IMO current modern Dragon Ball OTS serve more as a cash grabs rather than servers to invest your time into, which is a huge shame. I'd love to see them leave that mentality and focus more on all players, rather than only those, who can spend thousands on the server just to get a private outfit. Like okay, if you have that generous sponsors, then why we don't see big things on the server? Oh right, because only two people are working on it...

Recently I even started gathering my own ideas for the "perfect" DB-focused game, buuut I'm not really talented in art, so making my ideas come true would defitely take years... That simple front Goku took me a few days to create:
View attachment 82871
I might know how to code, but coder's biggest obstacle will always be design-
Personally, I'd love to be a part of Dragon Ball project, simply because I love this franchise.

I'm curious about other people's opinions on that matter.
Does it also bother you, that Dragon Ball servers almost didn't change at all over the span of 10 years? That these servers still use the same graphics from 10 years ago and their poor saga systems are still very basic, rather than being one of the main focus of the gameplay? What would you like to see from a good Dragon Ball OT server, that tries to be something more than just another clone of old servers?

Would you like it to be more "Dragon Ball" and less "Tibia" or the other way around?
I love the topic, I hope it will somehow influence the current situation of Anime OTS.

Does it also bother you, that Dragon Ball servers almost didn't change at all over the span of 10 years?
To be honest its not about Dragon Ball servers its about the whole Anime OTS community (not sure whats about normal tibia), servers are not improving, there are no new unique projects, we can notice the same patterns over the last 5-10 years, the fact is we haven't seen any new ambitious projects and I'm not sure if we will see any.

But I like to check out every new project that comes out, so if something cool comes out, I will definitely try it out.

That these servers still use the same graphics from 10 years ago and their poor saga systems are still very basic, rather than being one of the main focus of the gameplay?
Graphics don't bother me, but I love to see new graphics (like ROTS), and I agree with the saga system its not a hype anymore.(I liked them on WoDBO and Wos(naruto server) tho)

What would you like to see from a good Dragon Ball OT server, that tries to be something more than just another clone of old servers?
I'm honestly not sure, but I'll list some thoughts:
  • The main thing that annoys me about most Dragon Ball servers is the map, I hate the fact that new servers just have this basic Wodbo/DBKO/etc map
  • The vocations and spells on servers are usually boring and use similar patterns
  • Maybe it would be cool to see something like DBHeritage, something with a completely different idea on the server, not picking Goku and spamming Kamehameha or Genki Dama, but races or creating your own character like on Pokemon servers
  • A lot of annoying, boring grinding that could be done better. I hate the fact that you just have to go out and mindlessly kill monsters
That's all I have on my mind at the moment. I hope it's helpful somehow, regards.

I doubt there is any hope for DB servers. I havent seen any depth within them, most that I played were "evo with colorful graphics and focus on pvp around the temple"

All promising anime ot projects that I saw in 2023 were being developed by BR and they were other animes (pokemon, demon slayer, some naruto, sao)
But due to being too ambitious they ended up being abandoned/not really further developed.

Back