• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tibia Multiverse

machinehum

Reaction score
I've been tossing this idea around for a while now, I'm a C/C++/Rust developer very interested is distributed systems/networks.

The idea is to build a Tibia Multiverse, meaning a collection of OT servers, where players are free to move their assets from server to server with minimal effort. Imagine getting on a boat and being teleported to a completely different server. This makes one massive OT maintained by several independent developers. This yealds several advantages...
  1. If one server goes offline, the player can just move to another server. You keep your char forever.
  2. Different stories, lore and experiences on different servers.
  3. Huge world.
  4. Bigger community, thousands of players spanned across dozens of servers.
  5. Different style of servers, hardcore PvP, open PvP etc...
So the first question everyone asks is: how do you make it fair? There is an entity called the "coordinator", which is a centralized entity that is controlled by the community. In practice it's an open source application that runs on a server. It consumes a json file which outlines various things.
  1. IP addresses of all servers. If a server wants to join the network, they can apply through some process and the community will decide.
  2. Asset budget: how much gold may a server distribute per unit time. This may scale as a function of players online.
  3. Experience budget: how much exp may a server distribute per unit time. This may scale as a function of players online.

On the first go things might not be completely fair, but that's a sacrifice people might be willing to make, as this is a totally new idea.

Please find information on the database structure here: worlds-db. This isn't the exact structure that the first attempt will use, as I want to build it fast. There will be a "staged rollout"

I'm interested in getting anyone's feedback, good idea? Shitty idea?

Yeah, won't happen. Servers would have to be ctrl+c -> ctrl+v in basically everything besides map and scripts.
Imagine if items were different on the servers. U get some shitty item on one, but on the other one its super duper op. Boom, economy is gone in few hours.
It might not even be the strenght or the item, but for example drop chance. You can't drop it here? Go to the other server and get it in few minutes.
And of course imagine some people creating servers just to join, create op characters (as gm of course) and sell it to players.
I really can't imagine it ever happening, but besides that I think it is fairly possible if you have good cooperation between developers.
Who knows, you might even create few servers on your own and apply it.

Bro you are watching Sword Art Online too much. Open tibia doesn't work like aincrad seed.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's possible to federate drop chance with the "Asset budget" I was speaking of above, it doesn't have to be just gold it can also be item's per hour. As for items being op, the server you're playing on determines the strength of the items, not the items themselves.

GM/God strength would only apply on the server where the chars are created. You wouldn't be able to just max exp a char, the coordinator would block anything like that.

Unfortunately you won't get a great response to this here as most of the vocal community cannot think outside the box.
I think it is an interesting concept, personally I can see it being more applicable in replacing the current "world transfer" systems of existing servers and/or as an instancing-system, but I also can't see any reason why the coordinator wouldn't be able to sufficiently normalise characters cross-game as necessary too.

I have developed a system where you can transfer characters from one database to another (from one server to another). With everything that belongs to him, like items etc.

It's a PHP script that consist of two parts: PHP Rest API point, and client-like script.

Msg me if you interested ;)

Not sure that would work as most people customize their servers - even those that you just download and and are ready to run. What would happen with custom items/spells/outfits/mounts... or just servers that have p2w items/other monetization that affects gameplay?

I don't know about the challenges but can't see much practical use for this.

Well I was thinking about something simillar, but different.
Basically modify the otclient to contain the server list and modify the tfs to use centralized login system.

What would it change:
1. The monopoly of otservlist.org which many dislike including me would be over.
2. Players wouldn't need to create account for each server instead having one for every server.
3. Your login/password would be safer, you wouldn't entrust it to some randoms owning the servers where you can't even be sure the data is hashed.

Some features it could provide:
1. Multi accounting solved via additional authentication processes like sms verification, facebook verification etc. You could choose which security level your server expects.
2. Global player nickname reservations.
3. Account reputation like if you get banned on one server it would be public for other server owners.

Sounds really fun actually. However it sounds like a mammoth task asking up to dozens of server owners to all agree with each other. Not to mention there would be some severely unhealthy competition for players due to the commercial nature of OTs now. For something like this to truly succeed and actually not just be 2-3 'good' servers and 30 bad ones with 3 players online it would have to be non profit at least.

While I'm not a programmer, I also was approached for something similar with my esports team where a company wanted to create a self-sustaining league between dozens of pro teams working together to pull viewers into one place while all teams get the same fair exposure that any would from being watched like a TV series.

It would take an immense amount of work with everyone having the exact same idealistic mindset for something like this to work without being just another corrupt ring of someone owning everything with just a few important heads running it. Like @mdwilliams said, unfortunately this isn't the best place to start up a project like this purely for the fact that most people here are close minded and/or selfish. Not enough good big brains for something like that to actually be feasible and work.

@Silba it could be either non-profit or equal profit distribution regardless of performance. Depends on the market really

Back