• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tibia Server on RoR?

chevele

Reaction score
Hello!

I didn´t know where to post this so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong topic.
I used to make tibia servers for fun, waaay back, at least 10 years ago, I loved messing around with the files, making new powerful monsters, quests, etc. I want to go back to those days and make my own tibia server. I currently study computer science so I am an experienced programmer, but not so much in Lua and C++ (I still can manage on these).
From what I've seen, the files haven't changed too much (correct me if I am wrong). So I want to make a cool website for my server, for everyone to see and interact with, download required files, see high lvls, etc.
I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a tibia website using Ruby on Rails, since is quite easy once you get the hang of it, and the website could be hosted on heroku or something like that for free. But this would require the website and the server to be on the same database, I'm not sure if this is possible nor how to do it, so I'm here asking for advice 😁. I'm not willing to pay for a host service since I can't afford it 😅.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if there is any fresh tutorials on making a server from scratch would be very helpful since it's been a while since I've gotten my hands inside a tibia server.

EDIT: Is there a way to host the server for free? I haven't looked much into this. I know that, if it can be achieved, it will have it's limitations...

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am an experienced programmer
I'm not sure if this is possible nor how to do it, so I'm here asking for advice

If you were experienced, you will know that it's possible by rewrite php systems into RoR, and nothing really bothers you. If you know how to deal with database queries you are able to do anything you want because web site apps like acc makers are not dealing with Lua/c++ only with php. I am not a RoR programmer but I suspect that you already know how to start developing a website in this technology. The main thing you have to know its a database schema and sql to retrieve/update/add objects in db.

honestly any language that can handle sending and receiving packets will work, but do you really want to write a server engine from scratch when you have so many C++ distributions and so easy way of adding new things through lua?

Ruby is also probably slower than C++

honestly any language that can handle sending and receiving packets will work, but do you really want to write a server engine from scratch when you have so many C++ distributions and so easy way of adding new things through lua?

Ruby is also probably slower than C++

I think you miss understood me, I want to make a website based on ruby on rails to make accounts, post news, etc. So I would need that database to be connected to the server's database, but the server engine itself would be a regular one.

oh, then it should be fairly easy, just connect your app to the same database as config.lua and secure your aac from sql injection

nobody tried RoR for that purpose yet as far as I know

oh, then it should be fairly easy, just connect your app to the same database as config.lua and secure your aac from sql injection

nobody tried RoR for that purpose yet as far as I know

I'll give it a shot ;)

Back