• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Solved Trouble importing NPCs with remere's

mike800

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm having some trouble making my NPCs work in-game. I use remere's map editor for a 7.4 client, and I can properly import and place costum NPCs however these do not appear in-game.
I'm pretty clueless about all of this, but I did notice that other NPCs that came with some download had .lua files, and my costum ones didn't have them. I use Elime's NPC Editor to create my NPCs, but it only creates a .xml file, no .lua. Do I have to make one myself, and how?

If someone could run me through creating, importing, and actually correctly placing and NPC in my map, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

I don't see any errors, I can place them in the map editor and see them, just not in-game. They don't have any .lua files, can you tell me how to create those? edit: or point me to a tutorial, I can't find any.
Thanks

Can you create the npcs ingame? If not, does it give errors? If the npcs are added to the map but don't spawn ingame there should be some error in your console when you start your server.
Do you have the same problem with other npcs? Are there any npcs and monsters spawning?

Post an npc that doesn't load and an npc that does load.

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right, I get the error:
"Warning: [NpcScript: :NpcScript] Can not load script. data/npc/scripts/data/npc/scripts/default.lua
cannot open data/npc/scripts/data/npc/scripts/default.lua: No such file or directory"

Yes, monsters spawn correctly, and the NPCs that came with the download of Avesta also work correctly. The only ones that don't are those that I made using Elime's NPC Editor.
I guess the problem is obvious, I need to create a default.lua file?

Remove the directory in the npc xml file. The file default.lua should be already added to your server.
The errors says this: cannot open data/npc/scripts/data/npc/scripts/default.lua: No such file or directory"
This means it tries to find the lua file in the folder data/npc/scripts/data/npc/scripts, which doesn't exist, so remove data/npc/scripts in the npc xml file.

I may misunderstand you, but I can't find default.lua anywhere in any folder. Also my directory doesnt go further than Avesta/data/npc/scripts/lib.

https://code.google.com/p/avesta74/downloads/list This is where I downloaded it. I selected Avesta.7z.
If you're going to download it, be careful as my AVG warned of a trojan. I disabled AVG since I saw some posts about this saying that it's false alarm. I haven't had any issues yet, but I can't really recommend it.
I recommend to scan your PC because trojan hides in the c: disk sometimes:S
EDIT#2 I just saw you are using protocol under 8.00 they are often classed as viruses. :)

Alright so if I edit the messages of that file, then I'm supposed to rename it to the matching NPCs name, and put it in the data/npc/scripts folder?

Virusscanners often say servers have a virus, like the Crying Damson servers, most anti-virus programs see them as a virus, but this is just because of certain things that are added to these servers.
https://otland.net/threads/the-forgotten-server-virus-win32-delf.13368/

About the npcs, you can use edvard.lua and just change the messages.
There was a guy about year 2012 giving out a kummerack server 8.00 but it didnt work. It had only massive of malwares. But he got a deletion

Bump!

I tried my hand at making some NPCs and the first few turned out without problems (vendor and a guy that simply responds to some keywords) however, I tried creating another vendor and put him in the game. When this happens, my last created vendor loses his "offers" and my new one gains them (or some of them). As in, I just made an NPC selling blank runes and mana/life fluids, worked perfect. Then I made a new vendor (using the previous' .lua, editing only the offers) and the new vendor now sells blank runes, and the previous one sells nothing!

Hope someone knows how to solve this

edit: the npc's lua that i used for both my vendors is alexander.lua. When I put him in the game, his offers work just fine.

Back