• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Tutorial] How to create a beautiful city!

Clinten

Banned User
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to my first tutorial!

When I first started mapping I appreciated all tutorials that was out there, they really helped me alot, I would like to help new mappers to become good, therefore I wrote this tutorial to help everyone that would like to improve their mapping.

In this tutorial I will show you how to plan and create a city, cool huh?:D

Step 1:

I really had a rough time when I first tried to create cities, I had no idea of how the city would look like before I started, this really effected the result, unfortunatly. :(
Planning your city is very important. First we are going to decide what walls, grounds, details and more we are going to use. I usually put every sprite I would like to use on to the map so they are easy accessible.

I have decided to use these sprites, I will probably add more later.

Step 2:

Now that we have decided what most frequently sprites we are going to use, we are ready to start with the structure. When you are creating a map you most imagine how it will look ingame.
When I create a map I ask myself "Is this realistic?", "Will this be playable?" etc.

This is my structure:

Ground floor:

Second floor:

Step 3:

Now we are going to add borders and what I call "big details".
I do all my mapping with the raw palette, that way I'm capable of doing much more with the sprites and it's easier to avoid border bugs etc.

This is how it looks after I added the "big details".

Step 4:

This is where the maps becomes playable - we are going to add ground tiles. As with everything else I have already decided what ground tiles I'm going to use, if you are not satisfied with the floors you chose at the beginning just change them.

This is how the map looks with grounds:

Ground floor:

Second floor:

Step 5:

We have now got quite far with our town, we are now going to add house furniture.
Once again, keep in mind that the map must be playable and all houses cannot be full of furniture!

This is how the town looks with house furniture:

Ground floor:

Second floor:

Step 6:
This is the final step and according to me this is where the magic happens.
Now we are going to add the "small details". The map is already playable but a few details will make everything look alot better.

Ground floor:

Second floor:

That's it, if you have managed to struggle yourself through my messy tutorial you should have ended up with a beatiful city! Or atleast a decent city:)
I hope that you have learned anything by reading this tutorial.

Yours,
Clinten.

Last edited:
I was bored so I posted and said "Nice work.", oh wait... well I meant what I said.

All the mapping tutorials are like:
step 1: make shape
step 2: make ground
step 3: add detail
step 4: i map so 1337
u should add some tips and explaining what fits with what and more bigger tutorial. I find this for example useless. Explain why u placed houses just the way u did and maybe how to plan ur houses before starting city, what houses u should have in city etc

All the mapping tutorials are like:
step 1: make shape
step 2: make ground
step 3: add detail
step 4: i map so 1337
u should add some tips and explaining what fits with what and more bigger tutorial. I find this for example useless. Explain why u placed houses just the way u did and maybe how to plan ur houses before starting city, what houses u should have in city etc

With these steps people learn how to create a basic city, what houses they chose to have in their town is their own decision, right? If you would have mapped just a few times before and you would like to create a city, don't you think that this tutorial would help you?

Good tutorial, tho I don't think those walls fit with that floor.

It is indeed a great tutorial for beginners.
I would also like to see something more advanced that I could use myself, and an explaination of why you do some things like you do. Maybe some catacombs for undead, or some desert theme , 'cause I'm currently working on some, and I really doubt about some things.

Ofcourse, every mapper has his unique style [unless you're ripping someone] , but it'd be nice if you could make this tutorial in few parts, some for more advanced mappers :p

It is indeed a great tutorial for beginners.
I would also like to see something more advanced that I could use myself, and an explaination of why you do some things like you do. Maybe some catacombs for undead, or some desert theme , 'cause I'm currently working on some, and I really doubt about some things.

Ofcourse, every mapper has his unique style [unless you're ripping someone] , but it'd be nice if you could make this tutorial in few parts, some for more advanced mappers :p

I might do this when I got time for it.

Back