• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows [Tutorial] How to take picture on your computer using "Print Screen", and save (jpg)

Znote

<?php echo $title; ?>
Staff member
Global Moderator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
Znote
Greetings.
In this tutorial I will show you how to take a picture from your computer using the function "Print Screen" that at least all Windows operating systems got.
(This tutorial is so detailed my grand father would understand it)

I believe other operating systems like Linux also got this, but im not 100% sure about that.

• 1.1 = Find the button "print screen" on a stationary computer.
  • 1.2 = Find the button "PrtSc" on a laptop without num pad.
  • 1.3 = Find the button "PrtSc" on a laptop with num pad.
  • 2.0 = How to look/save/edit the picture you created when executing prt sc or print screen.
  • 3.0 = How to save the picture as JPEG/JPG to make the picture load much faster online.
  • 4.0 = How to upload the picture to OTland so they can view the picture.

Getting started:

First we might need to find this button?

1.1 = Find the button "print screen" on a stationary computer. (Jump to step 1.2 if you got a laptop!)
Have a look at this picture:
picture.php

And then you have executed the button print screen. Jump to step 2.0

Computers using a Laptop: (if you don't got a laptop, skip this step)

1.2 = Without Numpad: (small laptops)
Down to the left at your keyboard between your "ctrl" and "space" button, you will find a button named "fn".
Up to the right at your keyboard between "F12" and "deleted", you may find buttons like "scroll", "pause", "insert" but if you look at those buttons, you might find another options there, like "num lk" "break" "prt sc".

So, hold in fn, and click once on "prt sc".
And then you have finally executed the button print screen.

1.3 = With Numpad: (big laptops)
Down to the left at your keyboard between your "ctrl" and "space" buttom, you will find a buttom named "fn".
To the right of your keyboard you will find your numpad, most recogniseable as "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9" whick is sorted in a square, not a line. If you look above thoose numbers, you will find buttoms like home, end, pg down, pg up. Look if any of those buttons got description "prt sc" or "print screen".

So, hold in fn, and click once on "prt sc".
And then you have finally executed the buttom print screen.

Next step:
2.0 How to look/save or edit the picture you just created?

First we need to find Paint on your computer?
Click on windows - all programs - accessories and you should find the Paint.
All versions of windows got this, from Windows 95, Windows Vista and all windows based OS's between theese two. Guaranteed.
(unless you have deleted the program).

Now that you have found the program Paint, then open it!

In paint, hold in "ctrl" and click on "v". Then the picture that you created when clicking "prt sc" or "print screen" will finally appear.

There is some tools you can use from paint of you want to edit the picture.
In paint, go on file - save as.

And then choose a place to save the picture.
REMEMBER to save the picture in JPG format if you want to post it at otland. This will make the picture load much faster.

3.0 = How to save the picture as JPEG/JPG to make the picture load much faster online.

When you have clicked "save as" you can choose your name in one of the bars, but below that bar, you can choose what format to save it as, usually, the default format is 24bit format.

You want to save this as jpeg, to change it to jpg from there.

Have a look at this picture:
picture.php

Its something similar for you as well.

4.0 = How to upload the picture to OTland so they can view the picture.

Click HERE to see how to upload the picture to OTland so they can view the picture.

You know I got a reputation button, so feel free to click it and give some rep! ^^

CLICK HERE TO GIVE ME REPUTATION!
Write your name when giving reputation and who knows what will happen? O.O?

Just a trick that should have been mentioned in your tutorial: If you only want to take a picture of the active window, press Alt + Print screen.

Last edited:
JPEG SUCKS, USE PNG. Damn retards...

PNG suck when showing to other at forum...

And then choose a place to save the picture.
REMEMBER to save the picture in JPEG format if you want to post it at otland. This will make the picture load much faster!

Last edited:
PNG doesn't suck, JPG is designed for images, compressing continuous color tones, while PNG is short for 'Portable Network Graphics'.

PNG uses lossless compression, JPG uses lossy compression.

de_cpl_mill0005.PNG

Crappy? Look at my screenshot and at Znote's, his look washed out due JPG loosy compression ;)

Dont you listen to what my tutorial says?

PNG is good quality pictures, but if you don't care so much about quality, and only wants to show players a think, for an example your uber score at CS, they can easily see your at top, how many kills you had, how many looses etc... An information picture, they got the required information the picture was made to show them, and they recieved it much faster than it would do if you saved it as an PNG. (note that I am not saying your picture is jpeg or png, this is just an example)

But if you want, I can give out information about PNG and JPEG and when to use it at my tutorial aswell.

Just simple easy info:
JPEG: low quality - requires little bandwith. Reason: The size of the file is little.
PNG: high quality - requires more bandwith than JPEG. Reason: The size of the file is bigger than it would be if it would be in JPEG format.

Thanks for fixing grammar misstakes etc, my english ain't the best :p

Well, the size depends a little on what picture you use, I have managed to turn a png picture of 800kb down to 200kb. Which is only 25% of the PNG picture.

picture.php

Last edited:
PNG is much better quality even with that little size difference

When did I say it wasn't?

and btw, ye, with todays internett speed normally you wouldn't be able to see the picture unt'll its done loading?

Well still mostly of the users here, for some strange reason still uses imageshack, which is very slow....

And comparing jpeg and png through imageshack, shows results.

Cant remember the count where I wait lots of seconds for a picture to load <.<

imageshack because its popular
for someone people is fast for some uber slow
nothing much could be done about it ^^

imageshack because its popular
for someone people is fast for some uber slow
nothing much could be done about it ^^

just save the picture as jpeg, helps alot :p

Just a trick that should have been mentioned in your tutorial: If you only want to take a picture of the active window, press Alt + Print screen.

when i use ur way it become more than the otland need to post so i can't ^^ Thanks Znote But I'm Sad From you:(

Last edited:
when i use ur way it become more than the otland need to post so i can't ^^ Thanks Znote But I'm Sad From you:(

Well i am "sad from you", because you forgot to save it in correct format, JPEG/JPG or PNG. You are using 24bit most likely which is uber-big size, which you absolutely don't need.

Back