• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Tutorial Requests] Flatlander Source Code Changes

Flatlander

Species Developer
Solutions
Reaction score
I've had a few people recently asking me to help them do some of the changes I have made to the source code.

An example would be this week I was contacted asking if I could help with a few things, but their most important change they wanted was Monster View Range.

So I decided to make this thread, and i'll make myself a To-Do list here (In order of first come, first serve)

Current Tutorial Requests:
  1. customBlockMode - Turn Tibia Blocking on/off so you can manage it yourself.
  2. Monster View Range - Make it so you can change how far a monster can see in the monster's xml file.
  3. Aggro System - Add the Aggro/Threat system
  4. Monster Patrol - Make it so monsters can "patrol" and move around.
  5. NPC/Monster Outfit Randomizer -- Make monsters able to have multiple possible outfits (Mostly for humanoids)
  6. Creature Nickname - Make it so you can nick-name creatures

If anyone else has a tutorial request, let me know.

An incomplete (last updated 2015...) list of changes I have made is below:
TheImaginedServer & TheImaginedClient (custom TFS and Client) - Updated 1/16/2015

But you can also just ask if there is something you want a tutorial for in TFS, and I will let you know if I have done it yet.

THIS IS ONLY FOR TFS Source Code, I do not plan to do OtClient Tutorials or Lua Tutorials.

Tutorials released so far:

Optimizing TFS Pathfinding
Monster ViewRange configured in monster.xml files

Last edited:
+1 for block mode and aggro system

Also, seeing your added tiles tutorial, have you increases z view range while underground (remove the + - 2 limit)

• Monster Level Randomizer: Be able to set damage multipliers, and even spells with level requirements for monsters.
  • Creature Alert Friends: Creature will alert nearby monsters to your presence.
  • Monsters/NPCs can fight other Monsters/NPCs: (Have Orcs automatically fight Minotaurs, etc)
  • Monster Hold Items: Create a list of items creatures are holding. (This can be used to have monsters pick up items off the ground, or from players/creatures they kill) Also could make a "steal" ability so players can steal items from each other, npcs, or monsters.

Those are some of the tutorials id like seeing.
    Thank you for your great work!

How about a tutorial that teaches people C++ 1st and then how it can be applied to the TFS sources? People will & are not learning anything if you keep fragmenting specific topics or "systems". It just doesn't work. Unless this is how the current education system works? In my day we learned the basics of mathematics before we jumped into physics not the other way around and the same should hold true for developing.

I use to tell people of this guy i knew who owned a website that had several tools on it something that resembled an online desktop. He asked me to help him optimize it, since the code in general was primitive, i suggested that he learn the languages to which he replied "he has no time". He would work on this thing everyday for 20 hours a day. It took him years to finish it, the work that he had done and the time it took him to complete it could have been a lot shorter & simpler if he had just stopped to learn the languages. I think it took him 3 or 4 years to complete it whereas if he knew even just the general aspects of the languages it would have taken maybe 3 or 4 months if that to complete.

I consider myself a pretty smart guy but it just baffles me why this community continues to do things the long & hard way.

First Tutorial is up.
I'll do the Monster View Range one today too then i'm done for awhile.

Optimizing TFS Pathfinding

also @bayview if you want to learn you go to google and type in C++ Tutorials.

You do not teach people C++, you teach people how to learn.
If you want to learn C++, then you just do it, there is enough free tutorials and information just googling for everyone to become a master, but not many people want to be like me and spend 15 years fiddling around with C++, some people just want to use the things I have and I enjoy sharing them.

Different people have different interests, and pretending it is my fault, or anyone elses that you do not know C++ is just stupidity. If you want to learn anything just google it. That's how you learn things in the modern age of the internet, not by crying on Forums that I am not your private tutor.

EDIT:
Finished the ViewRange tutorial: (Hope it works)
Monster ViewRange configured in monster.xml files

Last edited:
LIGHT SYSTEM!!!

I actually finished bug-testing and fixing my lighting system Yesterday.

I don't think I'll be making a tutorial on it any time soon, it's way too big of a thing for me to do now.

@Flatlander i already know C++ i don't need you to teach me anything. Fiddling around with something is not how you learn even in this modern age of computing & if its taken you 15 years to learn something then you have been doing it wrong. And i am sorry you feel every suggestion i make is considered "crying" but that seems like a personal problem which i can't help you with.

@Flatlander Thank you for your efforts.

Is your github repository up to date? I mean, all the changes that are listed as done in "theImaginedServer" are in there? Since everything says last modified 4 years ago.
Thank you for your time.

@Flatlander Thank you for your efforts.

Is your github repository up to date? I mean, all the changes that are listed as done in "theImaginedServer" are in there? Since everything says last modified 4 years ago.
Thank you for your time.

No the repository is not up to date, I honestly dislike Github and stopped using it due to annoyances.

@Flatlander i already know C++ i don't need you to teach me anything. Fiddling around with something is not how you learn even in this modern age of computing & if its taken you 15 years to learn something then you have been doing it wrong. And i am sorry you feel every suggestion i make is considered "crying" but that seems like a personal problem which i can't help you with.

If you think you can simply "Learn" C++ or any coding language and just know everything, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Programming is a field where you are constantly learning, at all times, and if you stop learning, you basically stopped being a programmer.

floor reset and area map save/clean :)
also thanks for this, your effort makes me try to go higher as you do.

I thought so hehe!

Is there any way to see those changes? I mean, is TheImaginedServer open or is a personal project which you are releasing some parts of it?
Many of your features are really interesting and i like to know more.

Thank you for your time.

No the repository is not up to date, I honestly dislike Github and stopped using it due to annoyances.

If you think you can simply "Learn" C++ or any coding language and just know everything, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Programming is a field where you are constantly learning, at all times, and if you stop learning, you basically stopped being a programmer.
I am very proud that i am self taught but there is nothing you know that i don't already, because i took the time to learn things the right way whereas by your own admission you did not. :)

I am very proud that i am self taught but there is nothing you know that i don't already, because i took the time to learn things the right way whereas by your own admission you did not. :)

Maybe that is true, maybe it is not.

I highly doubt whatever "class" you went to taught you every single thing there is to know about C++ or programming.
Most of the best Programmers I know, that now work designing stuff at Intel (like my uncle) are self-taught.

The thirst for knowledge is the most powerful thing you can have when being a programmer, not a sheet of paper showing you went to a classroom where a guy talked at you a few times.

HeLlO i'M baYVIeW I'm vErY SMaRt wHy DoEs NobOdy TeACh c pLUs PluS To cOmPleTe StrANgeRs iN HiS FreE TiME aaNd wItHOuT ComPEnSatIoN ??!1 Oh AlSo DiD i AlREaDy MenTiOn thAT I'm veRY sMarT??

* spongebob goes here *

plonker.

Back