• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tutorial suggestions

Evan

A splendid one to behold
Senator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Guys, I'm at a point where I want to make more tutorials for this community.
As a support team member, my job is the make sure members have enough resources to develop OpenTibia servers.

As you can see in my signature, I have tried to make tutorials as descriptive, easy-to-understand, and visual as possible.

If you like what I am doing with these tutorials, give me some suggestions that I should make tutorials for.
When I get the time, I can write them up and share with you people. I can't promise that I will do them all, though.

Tutorial list:
  • Talkactions
  • NPCs
  • When to return true/false
  • Using exhaustion in scripts

Last edited:
I would love to see an up to date tutorial on how to compile Avesta Sources with VB studio express 2012.

Creating and using new objects in source ? It can be also really detailed and advanced NPC creating tutorial. Never saw one.

Make a talkactions tutorial. I see many people fail in this area of lua scripting.

I could see someone struggle with using parameters in talkactions.
I could do some short tutorial on making simple talkactions that covers some of the more difficult things.
If you could give me additional things that could be considered confusing or difficult, please let me know.

Creating and using new objects in source ? It can be also really detailed and advanced NPC creating tutorial. Never saw one.

I'd need to spend more time on the source code to ensure that I know what I am saying/doing.
I'm experienced with C++, but looking at TFS source code and modifying things, blindingly, can be a dangerous thing.

However, I love making NPCs, I could do a simple tutorial on the outline of a basic NPC script, talkStates, and a couple other things.
If you could give examples of NPCs (even if its advanced), I'd appreciate it. Coming up with example ideas is not my favorite thing.

By Advanced I meant things like movement from pos A to pos B. If player have xxxx storage value then npc is not talking with him. Npc has different moods and depending about mood, he is making other action. It can be also something like NPC has x items to sell but this x is decreasing everytime NPC sells something to player and increasing everytime he buys something from player. I know how write it but people maybe could learn more than making NPC just to say hi, bye.

Regards Advent

i just wanted to know how to make a exhaustion to (action-talkaction) if you can do it ^_^

Ty in Advance

2 more fabulous ideas! Will start working on making them tomorrow (I hope, might have to do yard work, blech)

Evan make a boss creature tutorial (Interesting systems for boss creatures) I'd upvote the shit out of that ;)

~Knighter

Can you give me an example of a boss?

Also, people have asked me on Skype, I will NOT do a tutorial on creating mods.
[rage]If I see anyone asking me anything about mods, I will bitchslap you and put you on my permanent ignore list.
It is by far the worst thing I've ever seen implemented in an OpenTibia server.[/rage]

Okay, today I will work on a NPC tutorial and hopefully finish it.

Back