• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Configuration Ubuntu - From nothing to complete server (TFS, ModernAAC, MySQL, Lighttpd)!

i tried this on my other PC, mostly for testing and experimenting and to learn.
some stuff i got working but i need help with other things. i dont get what your suppose to put in place of "yourserver" for the URL's. ones IP address?
also how do i add all my mods and edits? how do i get them from this PC with XP my other pc that now has ubuntu server on it.
how do i "upload" 0.4 into the home directory?
right now i can get the server running but it fails to connect to the DB which is fine b/c i didnt make it yet. i wasnt sure how to do that.

iv only ever really used windows operating systems so i dont know much ubuntu. all together iv used linux based OSs for maybe 30minutes.

also znote pictures are fine and ur(stain's) post under it was helpful to you should at that to the main post... at least the blue picture was. i never got up to anything that looked like his last 2 screens

Last edited:
The last 2 screens had nothing to do with this tutorial :p I just installed a text-based web browser.
(sudo apt-get install lynx i think).
And then just write lynx http://google.com
for an example and you browse it text based! D:

I though it was smart so I could test if the website and phpmyadmin and such things worked fine. Since I couldn't reach it outside the VPS I had to think of a solution to check it on the VPS.

i tried this on my other PC, mostly for testing and experimenting and to learn.
some stuff i got working but i need help with other things. i dont get what your suppose to put in place of "yourserver" for the URL's. ones IP address?
also how do i add all my mods and edits? how do i get them from this PC with XP my other pc that now has ubuntu server on it.
how do i "upload" 0.4 into the home directory?
right now i can get the server running but it fails to connect to the DB which is fine b/c i didnt make it yet. i wasnt sure how to do that.

iv only ever really used windows operating systems so i dont know much ubuntu. all together iv used linux based OSs for maybe 30minutes.

also znote pictures are fine and ur(stain's) post under it was helpful to you should at that to the main post... at least the blue picture was. i never got up to anything that looked like his last 2 screens

yourserver is either 127.0.0.1, localhost (on the local machine) or the IP address/hostname/domain name on the public.

@all
Next time I install it, I'll give you screenshot for screenshot howto.

3269-phpmyadmin.png

Is this bad? :O

Also on priviledges in phpmyadmin it has like 4 root accounts :S why? I like to have like, 1 root account, that has another name than root. :p
/But I don't dare to delete anyone yet as it might be important?

Problems extracting the tar.gz trunk file:

"tar: trunk.r3747/map.cpp: Cannot open: No such file or directory"

Happens to every file inside the tar.gz archive.

stefan@linuxubuntuserver:/home$ ls
stefan trunk.tar.gz

I have the file. :/ (confused).

Edit: Nevermind, did sudo before the command and it worked.

Also you forgot to write sudo mkdir tfs

Problems with autogen.sh! xD

/home/tfs/server$ ./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: line 1: autoreconf: command not found

Last edited:
1. No need for the "sudo mkdir". You SHOULD owe your own home directory by default. I believe you've played too much with your chmods :p. And no, I don't put it in /home like you, but /home/username/tfs. You got 4 root accounts? You should have 3, one for 127.0.0.1, one for localhost and one for your hostname. All except the localhost one can technicly be deleted.

There are 3 "full priviledges" users with the name root. 127.0.0.1, localhost and computername.

And there is 1 "full priviledges" users with the name debian-sys-maint.

But I can create my own root user with my own custom name, and delete all the other root users for security reasons. And things will still work fine, the other root users are not being used for a specific reason?

What about my autogen issue?

/home/tfs/server$ ./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: line 1: autoreconf: command not found

The tfs folder got chmod 777 -R

I have checked and confirmed that autogen.sh exist in the server folder.
I have tried to launch it using sudo as well. Also tried to do it over full root (sudo su).
So it should not be a permission issue.
It should not be a "file don't exist" issue.

At this moment I am only familiar with those issues. Any ideas what other kind of issues might cause autogen.sh not to work?

autoreconf. Command not found. I opened autogen.sh and found only 1 line, "autoreconf - vfi".

I try to write that command outside the .sh filename and I get this:
"Program 'autoreconf' only exist in these packages:
* autoconf
* autoconf2.13
Try sudo apt-get install <selected package>"

So I need to install a package for it, shouldn't this be included in the OP? :p

Anyway waiting for your reply before I install any additional packages, I want the server to be as light weighted as possible.

Last edited:
stian after reinstalling mysql server, i have to delete init.d file manually, when new mysql server was installed the init.d file wasnt succesfull created, tried creating the file manually but wont work :/ same happened with others applications (not from this guide),
you know any solution? also tried apt-get --purge remove didnt work either

@Znote: My guess is that you forgot to run this:

cd
sudo apt-get install subversion autoconf build-essential pkg-config libboost-dev libgmp3-dev libxml2-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libmysqlclient-dev libcrypto++-dev ccache libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-regex-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-thread-dev screen

@stian

Thanks, you are absolutely correct. I managed to miss it because I though it was steps you had to do if you wanted to install the 0.3.6 version. :p

I just gave it a fast glance and skipped to the 0.4 part without paying attention. :p

We all do that sometimes. Remember in the old ages when I tried to setup qmail, was a damn own book for the install guilde :p

Edit: Found out.

Well I might have fucked it a little bit up :p
3275-fucked.png

But now at least trunk (which contains website) has 777 - R permission

Ok, I have a feeling that that little dot ( . ) had A lot to say (like give permission to everyone in current folder) and I have a feeling it was wrong thing to do in the var, perhaps should be in www not var. :p

Anyway, sudo is halfway fucked and phpmyadmin is fucked. :D

Any ideas how to undo/give correct permission again?

Last edited:
Well server got so fucked I couldn't even connect to it today. D:

Going to reinstall, setting up 2 new Linux boxes now. :)

"Checking for boost/asio.hpp usability..." Takes very long time. D:

edit: Redid it and it worked fine.

edit2:
YAAAAY
3289-wohoo.png

Websitek: http://188.126.223.74:7399/

:)

Was just for testing. Thinking of hosting another dudes OT on it later.

Last edited:
I got this error when I inputed this line in the terminal
Code:
apt-get install subversion autoconf build-essential pkg-config libboost-dev libgmp3-dev libxml2-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libmysqlclient-dev libcrypto++-dev ccache libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-regex-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-thread-dev screen
Error:
E: Couldn't find package libboost-system-dev

Try:

sudo apt-get update

first. It just probable means you did have internet under installation and therefore you don't have the package tree.

(Or your using an old ubuntu)

I did that and Now it says this:
Code:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
BTW I use Debian at the moment. So far everything goes except that 'libboost'

Back