• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Ubuntu] Issues with wireless network :S

Znote

<?php echo $title; ?>
Staff member
Global Moderator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
Znote
I installed Linux Ubuntu not long ago.

I got a computer I bough for about a week ago, ACER TravelMate 4320

Windows Vista was allready installed to it, and I though I am sick and tired of running windows Vista on a 1GB RAM computer, and I though ubuntu would be an better alternative, also I wanted the experience and learning how to operate another operative system than windows.

I downloaded Linux Ubuntu, (not the server edition, but the regular edition)

But I notice I cant connect to the internet wireless, I try to google search and they say i can go on networks and detect wireless routers, but I cant even click on the "Wireless" place, and when I try to edit it, i come to an empty white box.

So it looks like I am forced to use internet-cable in order to get internet in the OS.

Also I see when I start my computer, i get to choose to run in windows or ubuntu, when i click ubuntu, there comes an error message about driver 80, but i cant take screenshot or write it since it goes to fast to write it, and i cant take screenie in bios :C

Also I see when I start my computer, i get to choose to run in windows or ubuntu, when i click ubuntu, there comes an error message about driver 80, but i cant take screenshot or write it since it goes to fast to write it, and i cant take screenie in bios :C

Your dual booting, i have to do the same since i use my laptop for school work.

*cough* pause button *cough*

Thats dude, didnt knew the buttom worked like that in the BIOS xD

kk the error message is:

Warning: Unrecognized partition table for driver 80. Please rebuild it using a Microsoft-compatible FDISK tool(err=114). Current C/H/S=16383/255/63

Your running two program. Your PC can only handle one of them. You just like fucked up your PC. All you can do is reformatted.

Your running two program. Your PC can only handle one of them. You just like fucked up your PC. All you can do is reformatted.

Ummh?

When I restart my computer I can run it in windows vista, and it works perfectly, wireless access to internet, no errors.

When I run ubuntu I get that error only, but i can still enter ubuntu, i think i can enter through cable, will try tomorrow

You must have a dam great gaming PC if you can run two windowns. Like i said only way to fix it is to deleted Vista which you really cannot unless you reformatted.

You must have a dam great gaming PC if you can run two windowns. Like i said only way to fix it is to deleted Vista which you really cannot unless you reformatted.

He isn't running two windows, he's running Vista (windows) and Ubuntu (linux). And it's called dual booting, which you can do by partitioning a harddrive and installing the other OS on the allocated space. Then when you start up your computer you can choose which OS to boot, in his case Vista or Ubuntu. They don't interfere with each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_boot

Jo3

What is the name of your network card (the one for wireless)?
But his PC will go slower.

The amount of files you have in your HDD doesn't make your computer slower, it just gives you less free space for more files.

Weird, I'll ask my dad when I get home, he's working with stuff like this and programming, he will probably have an answer, I'll edit when I get home :)

Ok tested this more:

I can easy access internet in the ubuntu, I am on the internet in ubuntu right now. But this is with cable.

I have also noticed that the diode light on my computer that has a wireless icon is not lighted. On vista i can turn it of and on as I please.

Same goes to the bluetooth icon.

What is the name of your network card (the one for wireless)?

How can I check this?

edit1: Also, how can I get MSN to work on ubuntu? :S

Last edited:
Ok tested this more:

I can easy access internet in the ubuntu, I am on the internet in ubuntu right now. But this is with cable.

I have also noticed that the diode light on my computer that has a wireless icon is not lighted. On vista i can turn it of and on as I please.

How can I check this?

Pidgin i think comes installed on Ubuntu, if not check the package manager you have installed.

Ok tested this more:

How can I check this?

Launch a terminal and type: lspci
You should be able to find your network card there.

For MSN, you can use Pidgin or aMSN,
for Pidgin:
sudo aptitude install pidgin

for aMSN:
sudo aptitude install amsn

Launch a terminal and type: lspci
You should be able to find your network card there.

For MSN, you can use Pidgin or aMSN,
for Pidgin:
sudo aptitude install pidgin

for aMSN:
sudo aptitude install amsn

Oki, didnt understand a word of the information I got from the terminal :S

My Terminal said:
stefanab@stefanab-laptop:~$ Ispci
bash: Ispci: command not found
stefanab@stefanab-laptop:~$ Ispci
bash: Ispci: command not found
stefanab@stefanab-laptop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)
0f:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
0f:06.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
0f:06.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
0f:06.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
stefanab@stefanab-laptop:~$

Lets see about aMSN:

* sudo apt-get update

* sudo apt-get install amsn

I have runned this in terminal, and installed amsn (I think) if thats what the terminal did, it did lots of stuff and im extremely noob at linux ubuntu. (linux generally) Looks like its much more complicated to install stuff :p

Well as I said, i have done theese commands, how to run it xD I cant find it :C

Last edited:
For the wireless stuff, read this: Ubuntu 8.04 + Broadcom Wireless ? P3NK!N

You should be able to find aMSN in one of the menus at the top (assuming you are using GNOME and you have not moved the panel).

I have downloaded drivers, got some help from a pretty good dude (but I had to leave before he finished it), believe i exstracted it on the computer, so now i got it on the computer, how do I install it so it work? XD

Just click and run ain't working, as I got a feeling that linux is pretty diffrent from Windows now. :p Windows seem to be much easier, but I won't give up.

Back