• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Using RME correctly

Sixten

Reaction score
Hey folks!

This is a tutoral where i will explain how you should use RME.

You'll probebly be thinking that this is one of those boring tutorials where I explain how the palettes work, but thats wrong! I am going to explain you how you can perfectionize your mapping by combining the use of automatic Palettes and the non-automatic RAW palette.

Alright, first you map something that goes from A to B. i'm going to make a cave path, for the examples.

First, you use the automatic ground brush (like I said before, i'm not gonna explain how everything works with the automatic tool).
screenshot_2009-03-30-17-21-54.png

It starts here already that u'll be using the RAW palette. We are going to randomize the ground more, because with the automatic brush of the cave the randomization is NEVER how you want it to be, i've setted my cave brush to only one type, so I can randomize it totally how I want it, dont ask how I did it, if you want to know that search another tutorial up). + You are going to change the bordering a little bit.
now is the point that u'll see the limitations of using the autobordering, If you wouldn't have used the RAW pallete now you wouldn't be able to make the things that I marked with red circles. By doing that, things wont be always the same. And at the same time u will find your own style better. Players also like to see creativity, not only perfect mapping. That creativity can only be done by using the RAW palette.
We will also add some stones, I suggest you to use the RAW palette for this. Because first of all it's almostly just as quick as using the Doodad palette, and also with this one, you've got your limitations. Not only by having bad luck (in a way that you get 5 times the same little rock), but also because a few small stones have been left out by Remere.
Here you can see the small stones that are left out, and some combinations which will make new stone formations! (i'll won't show all, you'll gotta figure the rest out for urself ;))

screenshot_2009-03-30-17-40-44.png

Here is a picture of how it is now, i marked all borders that can not be made with autobrushing!
screenshot_2009-03-30-17-50-27.png

Now we will add some other usuall things, like moss on rocky grounds, some branches that sticks out of the cave walls, some moss on the cave walls, some falling stones, and here and there a dead bush.
Here's another example of something that i wouldn't have been able to do in auto-mode: a dead bush on a border, with auto-brush you cant place items in the nothingness, if there is no ground then RME thinks that there is nothing, but there is a border where it perfectly fits on. Because I have used the raw pallete I was able to do it.

screenshot_2009-03-30-17-53-16.png

A picture of how it looks now:
screenshot_2009-03-30-17-53-25.png

It is already looking alot better, but it's still a bit 'too usuall'.
Thats why you'll always be scrolling down the ENTIRE RAW pallete. I know this may sound like some boring nonsense, but you'll first of all will start to learn what sprites tibia has to offer, and how / where you can use 'em. And secondly you'll get a REAL unique spot, because u'll find sprites to add which u normally would never think of! After some time you'll wont have to do this anymore, but i recommend you to do this for a long time.
In the beginning this will take some time, but you will notice that you will get to know where everything is in the raw palette and then it goes alot quicker.

Alright, im going to make my cave a bit more unique, cuz now its a simple basic cave. This is something that will be different in each cave, since caves have different circumstances, and different inhabitants. My cave is a bit sandy (the walls arent rocky) and I think that some small rooms next to the path would fit here, I also see that because of the sandy walls I can add some mudcave rocks in it. Also some cracks would fit here (when you are adding cracks, I suggest you to do this in raw, because its more difficult / slower to do it with the doodad palette and it also has limitations.

screenshot_2009-03-30-18-8-4.png

Conclusion

You have to use the RAW palette every now and then, not only the other automatic palettes. So dont be a lazy mapper and go put some effort in your map! ;)

I hope this helped you!

Last edited:
This is a great tutorial! Well done, Sixten.

People must know that the raw palette is the main place to be when mapping. You can make the shape automaticly, but the details and cool stuff should be done in the raw palettes. Here is an little exemple
like this:

tutorialv.jpg

Yours,
Master Spoking

good job at stealing ideas, why even bother making a tutorial if you cant use the editor yourselves?

and at spoking, it just looks bad to do whole columns of jungle grass, looks overdone and loses its uniqueness, another weak point from you.

good job at stealing ideas, why even bother making a tutorial if you cant use the editor yourselves?

and at spoking, it just looks bad to do whole columns of jungle grass, looks overdone and loses its uniqueness, another weak point from you.

why poof? why always so offensive? -.-

im just trying to help the beginners... <_<

edit: and what do you mean with stealing ideas?

Last edited:

A) Stealing ideas.. from who?
B) No it doesn't loses its uniqueness, because I hardly see people doing that...

@topic, nice tutorial, but you already know :)

This tutorial doesn't really help since the mapping in the first post wasn't all that good. If it were more good I think it would keep people reading the tutorial. And that randomize stuff still does a good job.

Good Tutorial A Bit though =]
And a Bad one. Didn't help me :D

I don't think noobs are having too hard finding all these options unless if they are really dumb, then i mean really, really, really & 1000X really.

Well, worth a try.

I don't think noobs are having too hard finding all these options unless if they are really dumb, then i mean really, really, really & 1000X really.

Well, worth a try.

well, the thing is that alot of beginners always use the automatic tools, and never the raw palette. thats what i wanted to show them in this tutorial

Last edited:
This is a great tutorial! Well done, Sixten.

People must know that the raw palette is the main place to be when mapping. You can make the shape automaticly, but the details and cool stuff should be done in the raw palettes. Here is an little exemple
like this:

tutorialv.jpg

Yours,
Master Spoking

Wis is Noob MApping Sry But I Must Say It 0/10

Are you a little bit jealous, or just stupid?

Back