• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

WAMP server alternatives...

E

Evil Puncker

(yes I know we can just install whatever we want separately)

Hello everyone, as a Windows user that used to recommend UniformServer A LOT through this forum to everyone as an easy, lightweight and up-to-date WAMP solution, I've just noticed that UniformServer is no longer being updated (no official info tho), so I've came here to ask for recommendations about alternative WAMP solutions that are:

• updated frequently
  • lightweight
  • not filled with lots of unnecessary software (I see you XAMPP)

In the latest case I'll just stick with XAMPP, but between these two I prefer the later:
7CIA1de.png

c5Wg3mD.png

XAMPP should do just fine. Maybe even WSL works for you, if you wanna use Linux alongside your Windows install (just install your LAMP stack).

I have always been a Xampp user, although sometimes you need an older versions depending on what your doing with your website.

I'm not sure how secure it is for public hosting but I've been using Laragon for a while for my coding projects (not to host my test server as thats on a linux server), but only because it has a portable executable, which allows me to transfer databases etc between machines very easily.
And allows you to just drag and drop different applications, so can easily switch between php version to test code I've been working on across different version.

portable is a 18meg download and the lite version is 85.
only down side it hasn't received an update in a while either :(

I'm not sure how secure it is for public hosting but I've been using Laragon for a while for my coding projects (not to host my test server as thats on a linux server), but only because it has a portable executable, which allows me to transfer databases etc between machines very easily.
And allows you to just drag and drop different applications, so can easily switch between php version to test code I've been working on across different version.

portable is a 18meg download and the lite version is 85.
only down side it hasn't received an update in a while either :(
I assume the request was for local testing environment. I take it Linux is the way to go for hosting public servers these days, isn't it. Might have gotten that wrong though, so correct me if I misunderstood :)

yes, sorry for not pointing out the purpose of the topic, it is to local environment, but not limited to testing only as there are still people that still host servers on their own machine (small group of friends, for fun servers or whatsoever)

I had issues with xAMP and Uniformserver whenever I needed to move data, or wiped a hdd if I didn't connect and export the databases.
I've never had any issues with Laragon and I haven't had to export a database etc when switching machines.
Even if its slightly outdated, I am able to use newer versions of php with ease (just drag and drop).

Currently my data synchronises from my laptop (where i do my offline coding) to my private cloud storage which then syncs to my cloud based windows 2019 server.
I do a lot of coding on that, so setup in the cloud (with external connections apart from RDP blocked), with all the tools I use and then just RDP onto and do coding without having to switch devices sync settings etc and can just leave it on 24/7

Its a bit overkill but codes always up to date at least (i am very messy usually, so have like 200 folders for the same project with slight changes), until I started using this and git for a change history xD

The official website has outdated info, the download button is updated though and will download the latest open source release (april 2020)

yes, sorry for not pointing out the purpose of the topic, it is to local environment, but not limited to testing only as there are still people that still host servers on their own machine (small group of friends, for fun servers or whatsoever)
Even when we talk about a small server for friends, any reason not to use a small Linux VM on Windows (think Virtualbox) then?
Or did you just not want to mess with Linux in general (KISS principle)? :)

Laragon is the best right now if you want great env for web developing. Lightweight as hell, fast, stable and uses "Pretty URLs" so instead of http://localhost/myproject you can use (customizable) http://myproject.test (you can feel like working on a real website with a domain).

okay guys, thanks for the inputs (keep them coming :D )

I'm considering using Laragon, it seems pretty nice, I liked specially the fact that you can install whatever you want to it easily, very handy

Back