• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Watch me scripting on youtube for my Quest OTs project.

Znote

<?php echo $title; ?>
Staff member
Global Moderator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
Znote
Well, many people kept asking me to come out with scripting tutorials and such things. However I feel that we have a decent amount of basic scripting tutorials, so I decided to just record myself scripting some for my Quest OTs project. I'm currently not working with any advanced scripts, only pure basic ones.

You can get an innovating interesting OT server with just basic LUA skills, and it really isn't that hard either.

If you have no idea when it comes to lua scripting, I recommend you to read through this thread:
http://otland.net/f481/scripting-guide-74030/

Watching my videos will help you see more "how its done in action" rather than just learning how to do it. Note that everybody have their own style when creating scripts, and that my scripts are not flawless. I'm scripting right off my mind and there are tons of ways to make scripts work as intended.

Ey, you will also get a sneak peak on what I'm currently doing on Quest OTs, and my scripts. :p
Feel free to rip my scripts off, take my ideas and such, but if you do, I would really appreciate getting some credits for it. :)
When I retire from my Quest OTs project, I might release it for you guys. :) (Tho it will probably be in a few years).

Concept here:
It is the entrance to a boss monster. In 4th video you see me work a bit on the monster script. Basically the map helps to interact and communicate with the boss monster so once you enter, its not so easy to run away.

Instead of ladder or stairs, you climb up vines which takes time (10 seconds). If you enter the room and tries to escape before the boss monster is killed, he will teleport to you and attack you. Climbing the vines will also give you 10 seconds exhaust from casting spells and paralyze you completely.

Recommended to watch all my videos in 1080p or 720p! in fullscreen
part 1
Scripting on Quest OTs [p1] - YouTube

part 2
Scripting on Quest OTs [p2] - YouTube

part 3
Scripting on Quest OTs [p3] - YouTube

part 4
Scripting on Quest OTs [p4] - YouTube

recording program:
I used xSplit Broadcaster, you can stream live from it, tho I used the "local recorder" function. Its really good, 16 min video in full 1080p quality in only 72MB filesize, so it quickly uploads to youtube etc.

Last edited:
It looks cool! Just getting started! However showing what it will do in the end or atleast explain it would be very useful!

By then I mean showing it when your on the server or explaining the basic idea of this quest etc.

It is the entrance to a boss monster. In 4th video you see me work a bit on the monster script. Basically the map helps to interact and communicate with the boss monster so once you enter, its not so easy to run away.

Instead of ladder or stairs, you climb up vines which takes time (10 seconds). If you enter the room and tries to escape before the boss monster is killed, he will teleport to you and attack you.

Me gusta.
In all honesty though, you should try livestreaming. As those videos may get flagged due to the music ;/.

I know =(

But well, part 3 and 4 is using music that is under the creative common license, meaning it is free and not illegal to use on youtube.

It looks cool! Just getting started! However showing what it will do in the end or atleast explain it would be very useful!

By then I mean showing it when your on the server or explaining the basic idea of this quest etc.

I'd like to 2nd that.
This might be crystal to people already into lua but for me things were rather blurry.
I think you should explain what you are doing, either by mic (would be awesome) or just by adding comments onto the video.

That would ofcourse take more of your time, and I guess the very reason you chose to make this kind of tutorial was mainly to save time ^^

Not saying this was completely pointless however, I did learn alot by just watching how you work.
Alot of (probably exremely basic) things like using Notepad++ for quick lua scripting and storing Storage values in a separate file were good insight for me.

I'll stay tuned for more to come, keep up the steam fellow viking ;F

Hehe, I wrote the concept on the thread. But if you are completely new to LUA I recommend you to check the linked lua scripting guide, that will help you understand basic logic of LUA scripting.

Currently the videos only have like 30 viewers, im not sure if I will spend much time polishing it /add more videos if almost nobody are watching. Anyway I might add some later if I got some spare time. And perhaps make some more tutorialish videos.

Back