• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Way to be a successfull mapper

Sir Mido

Reaction score
this is my first work and i need you ideas and what is the mistakes in the work
Thanks.
(Training Room)
fFJZMmc.png

I'm not an expert but i think you should map every SQM
Means you have to turn off auto border

@Map
Just one player will be able to train shield?

in my opinion you are alredy good if its your first time ;) ^^

Seems nice. I don't care about autoborder if map is good.
Btw. Only 1 trainer per 2 players? :eek:

Pretty good for your first pieces. If you want to get better quickly, look how other people (the pros preferrably) map. How they do architecture, how they mix grounds, what sprites look good with other sprites etc. You could also learn something about colors in general. Even the most advanced maps will look shit if the colors don't match. Other thing that many forget about, which is though very important, is light, so check your maps ingame. You can make mediocre maps way better if the lights are great and create good atmosphere. Just don't forget that mapping isn't just about placing tiles.

Oh, and the autoborder thing. I know, mapping with RAW looks better (I don't use autoborder either), but it takes way longer to map "manually", especially since you're a beginner... and it probably won't really look better either. I actually think that autoborder is a great tool for people who just start out, because they can work on other aspects of mapping, which are just as important as borders. Just don't let people tell you that you're a piece of shit and should die if you aid yourself with autoborder. Eventually you will switch to RAW when you're good enough and realise it's the way to go.

TL;DR look at quality maps, learn about colors and light, try working on abandoning autoborder but don't sweat it too much.

Last edited:
1. Try to COPY from mappers you like, people you think are good.

2. Do that for a couple of times.

3. Develop your own style of mapping, whilst copy'ing.

4. Take what you learned when copy'ing others maps and do something of your own.

5. Make some maps with the style you just developed on your own (with help from someone else).

6. Ask people about stuff that you are not sure about (whether it looks good or bad) here on OTLand.

7. Take notes from people with experience in mapping, from what they just said about the piece.

8. Gl hf...

Pretty good for your first pieces. If you want to get better quickly, look how other people (the pros preferrably) map. How they do architecture, how they mix grounds, what sprites look good with other sprites etc. You could also learn something about colors in general. Even the most advanced maps will look shit if the colors don't match. Other thing that many forget about, which is though very important, is light, so check your maps ingame. You can make mediocre maps way better if the lights are great and create good atmosphere. Just don't forget that mapping is just about placing tiles.

Oh, and the autoborder thing. I know, mapping with RAW looks better (I don't use autoborder either), but it takes way longer to map "manually", especially since you're a beginner... and it probably won't really look better either. I actually think that autoborder is a great tool for people who just start out, because they can work on other aspects of mapping, which are just as important as borders. Just don't let people tell you that you're a piece of shit and should die if you aid yourself with autoborder. Eventually you will switch to RAW when you're good enough and realise it's the way to go.

TL;DR look at quality maps, learn about colors and light, try working on abandoning autoborder but don't sweat it too much.
Thanks brother, for your advices

1. Try to COPY from mappers you like, people you think are good.

2. Do that for a couple of times.

3. Develop your own style of mapping, whilst copy'ing.

4. Take what you learned when copy'ing others maps and do something of your own.

5. Make some maps with the style you just developed on your own (with help from someone else).

6. Ask people about stuff that you are not sure about (whether it looks good or bad) here on OTLand.

7. Take notes from people with experience in mapping, from what they just said about the piece.

8. Gl hf...
you is the mapper who i like bro :D
thanks for you advices

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always taken the idea of me standing there, looking around instead of the overhead/angle view of Tibia. It works well for cities like "would I really see that right there" or "could I see that there"

I've always taken the idea of me standing there, looking around instead of the overhead/angle view of Tibia. It works well for cities like "would I really see that right there" or "could I see that there"
Yeah, I do this too, and often even make a sketch. Really helps with picking sprites and building the place in general. What is always bugging me though is that you cannot build REALLY high... Like what, you have 8 floors up, and 8 down. Want to make a tower on a mountain? You're shit out of luck. Or, you're already on z = 7 and need to go one floor down without going underground? Too bad. So you've got to build around this too.

You can not forget to visit these threads:
Creativity - Post your mapping ideas
Mapping Inspiration
How to take Ingame screenshots properly
Quick Showoff - Post your latest maps
Official's OtLand Mapping Contest's Results
«Take a look at the pieces that won the competition depending on which month»

These are some good mappers:
Darklord Mapping Works
Neon's latest mapping works!
Peroxide's Mapping Thread
Magnetico's Latest Mapping!
Macedoon's grandcorner
Decrik's Mapping Thread
Siramix HappyBox
Beto06 Mapping Thread
Mackan's Mappings
«Possibly there are many more, but I have not been active for some time now»

«RAW Palette»
tutoriales_by_darkressxx-d6hwytr.png

«Autoborder - The nameless»:
tutoriales_by_darkressxx-d6hwytt.png

This may sound boring and impractical; but I always recommend place Border by Border, one by one...

Last edited:
You can not forget to visit these threads:
Creativity - Post your mapping ideas
Mapping Inspiration
How to take Ingame screenshots properly
Quick Showoff - Post your latest maps
Official's OtLand Mapping Contest's Results
«Take a look at the pieces that won the competition depending on which month»

These are some good mappers:
Darklord Mapping Works
Neon's latest mapping works!
Peroxide's Mapping Thread
Magnetico's Latest Mapping!
Macedoon's grandcorner
Decrik's Mapping Thread
Siramix HappyBox
Beto06 Mapping Thread
«Possibly there are many more, but I have not been active for some time now»

«RAW Palette»
tutoriales_by_darkressxx-d6hwytr.png

«Autoborder - The nameless»:
tutoriales_by_darkressxx-d6hwytt.png

This may sound boring and impractical; but I always recommend place Border by Border, one by one...

As being the one with the most wins in the competition thread you posted I am offended that I'm not on the list of mappers to take inspiration from :(
(j/k I am uninspiring lulz :D)

this is my first work and i need you ideas and what is the mistakes in the work
Thanks.
(Training Room)
fFJZMmc.png

This would have totally worked if you made the monster a custom spell attack to damage both players/break shield - It's actually a great idea since it brings players closer together to communicate when they are doing basically nothing.

Keep up the great work mate, you are eager to learn and that is something I respect!

As being the one with the most wins in the competition thread you posted I am offended that I'm not on the list of mappers to take inspiration from :(
(j/k I am uninspiring lulz :D)
Some of my latest stuff (haven't posted pictures) are inspired from your Carlin Central Plaza revamp for one of those Official comp's we held.

You can still use autoborder just preferably go back over and edit parts with raw so it's not as square. Good use of both can work out great and it definitely speeds up progress.

Back