• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What can I do to improve this map?

Cadyan

Reaction score
I want it to remain fairly wide open, but I am not sure of what details I can add to this crypt. I went through the entire map editor and found nothing that fits well for a crypt setting with these tiles and walls. Does anyone have any ideas? It's a crypt right beside a small town so I don't want anything too fancy. It will have little critters like spiders/centipedes/bats and also some undead.
crypt floor 1.png

Last edited:
try using diferent tile combinations to fit the area
You can always use contrast to enhance the view,
also using more than 1 floor always looks better in my opinion.
use items that fit the enviroment. always. always. but dont forget to keep it simple and clean. dont be like me.

what i recomment you is to draw in papper the whole piece, then map after that, it is easier, faster and you wont miss any details

dont forget this and you will end with something like this, dont forget that the more floors = better it will look

I understand how tile combinations and floor levels work, but none of them seem to fit for what I want unfortunately. I am more interested in what details people may include. I want this to be a dark and depressing setting. Not magical or epic.

Yea I have been trying to use skulls sparingly because it is a town crypt after all. Spider webs are definitely a part of the map though, along with rock debris

Maybe some torches on the walls? Some statues maybe, or pillars. Try adding skulls on the wall, axes, arrows, maybe some blood even?

Here is an update with ideas given to me:
This screen is a small portion of the whole crypt, but the general idea.

crypt floor 2.png

Dark Cathedral barely has any detailing, and it completely changes the feel and style that I am striving for. Dark Cathedral isn't so good either :p.

Some cracked walls would go a long way. Perhaps some parts of the walls caved in, exposing the outer cave within the crypt. Cracked walls leave debris, perhaps some near the walls. Floors crack over time or have a layer of dirt/dust etc. on them. Some wood used as support at a later stage in the crypt to ensure that the ceiling does not collapse, so it would look a bit out of place but then again, it would fit perfectly if you can execute it in a way that people would actually recognize it as such. Maybe some weeds/green in a place that is moist. Maybe some belongings from the deceased?

Put some monster spawns in there, open up tibia and play through it. Does it feel empty or just right? I mean, all the items that players would drop on the ground, all the creature bodies that are decaying over there. This adds up to the "details" as well.

I actually did end up doing cracked walls with debris falling through. However the wooden supports would be a good idea if I can find a way to have them fit. I limited the greens shown because its meant to be mostly stone and dirt. I also added belongings in deeper parts of the crypt. I have tried playing through it and it looks alright. I know more bodies and loot will make it look sick :p

Back