• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What does Flushing mean?

Xikini

I whore myself out for likes
Senator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Here's a conversation between me and @Werewolf

He says it's a real word that can be used in this way.
I've never heard of it ever being used like this.

Can anyone else confirm his side/usage of the word?

[7:43:25 PM] Carl Bucholtz: do you like my spell/mana system?
[7:44:07 PM] Werewolf Awesome: it has potential, just need some more flushing
[7:44:41 PM] Carl Bucholtz: flushing?
[7:44:49 PM] Werewolf Awesome: you know English?
[7:45:04 PM] Carl Bucholtz: apparently not?
[7:45:21 PM] Werewolf Awesome: means work it out more to make sure it has no imbalances or flaws
[7:49:00 PM] Carl Bucholtz: balance/calibrate/fine-tune/improve/polish/tuneup
[7:49:19 PM] Werewolf Awesome: and flush
[7:49:29 PM] Carl Bucholtz: refine/tweak
[7:49:36 PM] Carl Bucholtz: flush does not mean this
[7:49:37 PM] Carl Bucholtz: lol
[7:49:45 PM] Werewolf Awesome: if you say so
[7:50:23 PM] Carl Bucholtz: flushing = cleanse / wash / toilet
[7:50:43 PM] Carl Bucholtz: flushed = glow of embrassment
[7:53:13 PM] Werewolf Awesome: cleanse
[7:53:16 PM] Werewolf Awesome: key word
[7:55:23 PM] Carl Bucholtz: make something (usually referring to skin) thoroughly clean. / wash / bathe / rince
free someone of guilt
rid a person, place or thing of something unpleasant/unwanted
[7:55:30 PM] Carl Bucholtz: still doesn't work.
[7:55:47 PM] Werewolf Awesome: you seriously have never heard the saying
[7:55:51 PM] Werewolf Awesome: FLush out the bugs?
[7:56:08 PM] Carl Bucholtz: I asked Ashley
[7:56:15 PM] Carl Bucholtz: she said " wtf does that mean"
[7:56:23 PM] Werewolf Awesome: your asking a child :eek:?
[7:56:23 PM] Carl Bucholtz: your wrong. just admit lol
[7:58:02 PM] Werewolf Awesome: what ever you say

I've heard people say it before, it typically is related to a broad/unfinished object/project etc. I have also heard "fleshing/flesh" as in add more to what you have already, which is pretty much the same.

I've heard people say it before, it typically is related to a broad/unfinished object/project etc. I have also heard "fleshing/flesh" as in add more to what you have already, which is pretty much the same.
I've definitely heard of "fleshing out" the project/idea. But not flushing. :/

i may have thought fleshing out was flush out, but still. Only xikini would honestly make a big deal over something so stupid...

Why is learning new vocabulary a big deal?
If I don't know something, I'd like to know more about it.

Like you said "Flush out the bugs." I've definitely heard this before, or at least variations of it.

Go flush the deer into the open.
He's flushing the ducks out.

I've just never heard it used in the way of an idea.

why do you need more vocabulary when you literally Labeled 7 words that generally mean the same thing?
The English language has so many words that mean the same thing that there is no such thing as proper English anymore, In fact on a day to day basis, you hear more slang then English, but you never complain about that.

-- Going to sleep. argument over.

^ this is fine. "Flush out the bugs" (read: "flush out the toxins" [human body])

^ this is weird. I've never heard someone say that it 'needs more flushing'. It's not 'wrong' though, and meaning can be understood in context.

Remember that dictionaries are written to show how people use words in the real world and definitions are updated often to suit.

^ this is fine. "Flush out the bugs" (read: "flush out the toxins" [human body])

^ this is weird. I've never heard someone say that it 'needs more flushing'. It's not 'wrong' though, and meaning can be understood in context.

Remember that dictionaries are written to show how people use words in the real world and definitions are updated often to suit.
If the meaning deciphered from the context of a sentence is wrong or unintelligible, then it is not the correct usage of the word.

balance/calibrate/fine-tune/improve/polish/tuneup/refine/tweak
It has potential, just need some more balancing. - implies that the system is fine, however the numbers need changing.
It has potential, just need some more calibrating. - implies that the system is not working as intended.
It has potential, just need some more fine-tuning. - implies that the system is not working quite as wanted.
It has potential, just need some more improvements. - implies that the system is not finished yet.
It has potential, just need some more polish. - implies that the system is fine, but needs a just a little more oomph, to make it stand out.
It has potential, just need some more tune-ups. - implies the system requires a rework.
It has potential, just need some more refining. - implies the system is not how he would like it to be.
It has potential, just need some more tweaks/tweaking. - implies the system is almost how he would like it to be.

By the context provided..
It has potential, just need some more flushing. - implies ???? something about the system requires changes?

The usage doesn't give you a definitive sense of the word and therefore has no meaning. I think it's wrong. :oops:

The usage implies that the thing in question has bugs that require flushing out
I don't know if that is factual or not though :p
Don't get me wrong though I do think his usage is more than a little bit odd! :p

Flushing compares to weening the bugs out, comparing to a more stable version.
Is your signature the dude in the windmill from zelda? lmfao
God, that is such a funny picture though.

Oh wait! It's the postman! haha.
Silly me. :p

A little bit more of him biting the lower lip and it'd be perfect. :oops: :rolleyes:

Update;

Asked my 63 year old co-worker (to see if it was an older term).

"I was having a conversation with my friend about the game me and him make. I had asked if he liked my idea and he told me the idea had potential, just needs some more flushing."

She looked at me really puzzled, squinted her eyes and asked, "Flushing?", I nodded and said, "yeah.", she laughed then said, "I've never heard of that before! Where did he pick that up?".

She's so innocent, I love her. :p

Last edited:
Back