• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What makes maps looks good and how do you be a better mapper?

Crazytoe

Reaction score
Hello. I see people around here that put time and effort on maps and get the answers sometimes like "That is the worst piece of shit I have ever seen", "You are not done", "This is not good". Am I gonna try mapping and wonder, what makes a map good and what should you think of before you start? I don't want those comments on my maps later so that is why I ask so I can do good maps.

Then why is everybody against autoborder? It makes the job faster and saves time right? I mean are you serious when you are going to map a big city?
Do you then put one square of time? That takes millions of years.

Last edited:
People have different standards.

A gold rule is that a map is NEVER finish. It is a matter of how much time/effort you want to put in and the results you are getting out of it. The more time you put on a map the less quality you'll be getting out of it so at some point you just need to move on.

Sure some people share some awesome pics from a 30x30SQM map. So what? They may have spent there 20 hours while in that time they could had done a big city instead.

Look at RL Tibia map. It is good enough for running a succesful game but the mapping is actually pretty bad at some parts and usually average at best.

Maps need to be good looking. This is the most important thing. Variety helps with this but sprites need to be somehow connected - you can't just spam random things. Most maps overuse (not a bad thing - thats how things/this game is) some sprites (ie. grass, grey mountain, desert...) Try using less used/newer sprites and mix them in new ways. It helps a lot to have a background idea for the map in question so it doesn't end being just a cave but an orc hideout inside a cave instead.

But maps also need to be playable - depending how the server is - some may need to be one way or another but you always need to think about player sight. No point in making a huge awesome looking structure if player is out of sight. For example, a cave path don't need to be bigger than 2-4 SQM most of the time (unless this is some big place/room) but you shouldn't abuse 1SQM paths either. Players can exploit this things easily. Another example is to avoid spamming blocking items (ie rocks) in the middle of player pathing, try to place them on the sides (unless you want them that way) Theres hundreds of examples that makes a map good, practice and trying out new things will get you there.

About autoborder - its just a meme. The tool is a godsend aslong as you can manually manage the few issues it has, with experience and knowledge you can do awesome things with it. Its mostly smaller borders (ie four corner borders together) and mixing borders the biggest gripe with autoborder. If anyone tells you to 100% RAW map just run away from them.

Last edited:
Isn't mapping just like drawing? A skill earned through time and effort?

I agree with @BahamutxD
A map is and should never be finished(just like a developer never is done with a game). There is always something to do with it. The last 10% takes the longest on the project and for each new map, each new spawn, town, mountain, anything, you will get more experience. Eventually you will compare your latest cave with your oldest and have a better picture on what you've learned.

And just like @tetra20 's question: It has a learning curve(and to remember which sprites is located where for easy use so you dont spend 15 minutes looking for a single sprite = timewaste), and not only that but you need to find your style of mapping. Personally i like Cipsofts mapping cause its very playable with details. Many on this forum adds ton of details so its hard to even walk in a city and thats fine!

Dont be scared to post a picture of something you have made. There will be trolls commenting, but you can ignore them. Listen to people who say something positive + something negative. They cheer you on for making a thread and give you tips and tricks you can practise until next time you post a picture.

I agree with: @Nemphis

There will always be trolls saying things about your creations ... usually unloved people ...

Take the good comments and the ones that help you create better maps.

Autoborder has its limitations, you can of course do a lot of extra work in setting up special grounds behaviours in RME but it's way easier to do it manually. Of course there are situations when you can do a good looking map piece with autoborder.

One example, (please ignore those mountain borders) both coasts were made with autoborder. Personally, I like the second more. The only trick here is that I had to spend more time on it. So, autoborder isn't a bad thing but it also takes time.
1600466136974.png

What else makes a good map? Creativity and time - again.
15 seconds vs lets say 3 minutes. You can do a fast forest with Doodad brush or do it slower with mix of Doodad and RAW (and terrain ofc).
1600469802830.png

I know that's a little bit too much on the right but I hope that you understand the idea. You can make a boring road like from Thais to Venore or add something variety to it.
1600470228355.png

Same with some basic housing.
1600471418042.png

Something that players enjoy is placing the zones in a coherent way, that is, making it easy to understand where you are going, and that exploring does not pose a danger where you do not have a chance to survive. Another point to take into account is, if the map has some kind of narrative or elements that justify why the creatures or NPCs are where they are. Use semiotics, make the player unconsciously realize where he is getting... Regards!

Good advices from everybody here! Thank you. I will start mapping now.

1. something Im learning while mapping is movility, making the path to have enough sqm for the players to move freely...
  2. watching arquitecture or interior desing channels on youtube or some inspiration on pinterest or goole can make a big difference also
  3. having a good structure of your mapping, before start mapping, first you need to imagine what you would like the area to be, avoid trashy mapping.
this is something Im working on, it's not great but it's mine :)

screenshot_2020-09-18-21-58-45.png

My suggestion is to make your map tell a story through small details. An armor smith needs firewood to stoke his furnace. Add an axe, some chopped wood, and perhaps a cart that supplies the wood from a nearby forest. Dwarves use coal instead? Add a shovel, a lantern, and put a coal mine somewhere on the map. A map comes alive when it feels connected, otherwise it is a collection of discontinuous segments. Good for hunting, but not for world building!

Definitely take a look into other mmos and their map layouts/designs etc. it can help with the inspiration part :)

Autoborder is good tool, but sometimes you have to do borders on your own to get a better results.
Check mapping section on this forum, you can get a lot of inspirations.

@Kuzyn great examples, you should think about making some mapping tutorial with more examples like that :)

Autoborder is good tool, but sometimes you have to do borders on your own to get a better results.
Check mapping section on this forum, you can get a lot of inspirations.

@Kuzyn great examples, you should think about making some mapping tutorial with more examples like that :)
Thank you for your words, I will think about it and maybe do some basic tutorial. I remember an old one about making RPG city, its 12 years old!
[how to] create a good rpg city? (https://otland.net/threads/how-to-create-a-good-rpg-city.4848/)
So sad that most tutorials lost images.

My suggestion is to make your map tell a story through small details. An armor smith needs firewood to stoke his furnace. Add an axe, some chopped wood, and perhaps a cart that supplies the wood from a nearby forest. Dwarves use coal instead? Add a shovel, a lantern, and put a coal mine somewhere on the map. A map comes alive when it feels connected, otherwise it is a collection of discontinuous segments. Good for hunting, but not for world building!

Also think about hunting places more deep.

Example:
Where amazons sleep?
How they get food?
Where are barrels with additional food, weapon?
In some cases where is toilet??

Swamp trolls near Venore breeding rats...
Trolls in AB are slaves used to mine some ore.

@Dedefere
I think that some of the roofs on your building should be smaller in terms of area occupied on the same roof level. Big chunks of the same sprites doesnt look good.

Back