• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What makes the servers have fewer players?

Crazytoe

Reaction score
Hello. I see a lot of empty servers nowadays that just running with almost no players. But when I log in to them, it seems to be an okay server but with no players. What do you think is the reason? Did people start to play real tibia instead? Or what makes the server have fewer players nowadays?

Unoriginality.
Playing the same server over and over. All these 7.2-8.6 RL servers 100% RL maps, CUSTOM VIP ISLAND (Like a few houses :D).

Repeating quests (Go kill thisl go kill that),
mindless grinding (Kill 500 of this very rare monster that respawns every 5 min. k thx).
Money grabs.
Staff that does not care.
Rushing unfinished content.
Making sure that only late game players get something new to do. Adding spawns for high levels. Meaning that creating new characters is just the same thing over and over.

These are a few things from the top of my head.

1) Not Active Staff members, players might need assistance but can't find it.
2) Long time without updates
3) Many crashes
4) Lagging server for many regions
About number 4: Lagging servers. Is that because people host from home or did they choose the wrong type of hosting service?

I believe it is a combination of things but most of the time people do not like to invest a lot of time in a project because 90% of projects end up resetting or are ran by owners and a team whom do not actually care and just want donations.

It is important to build a community and have a following.

Is that because people host from home or did they choose the wrong type of hosting service?
No one host from home any more, or its rare and just 1 or 2 days server mostly and its also not about hosting services.
I believe its because of the distance and routes between host location and players location, Like EU hosts won't work perfect for Brazil players and they will always have very high ping there and same for US/Canada hosts won't work perfect for EU players.
VPNs/Proxies don't work mostly and they are just a scam, I have tried so many of them during the time I used to play (BattlePing/WTFast/Cyberghost) and it never made it better.
I always get between 100-120 ping on EU hosts and 160-240 on Canada/US hosts.
I haven't seen any server that work for all perfect yet, Most of them have to choose between EU Community or Brazil Community, None of them can handle both with good ping.

Last edited:
No one host from home any more, or its rare and just 1 or 2 days server mostly and its also not about hosting services.
I believe its because of the distance and routes between host location and players location, Like EU hosts won't work perfect for Brazil players and they will always have very high ping there and same for US/Canada hosts won't work perfect for EU players.
VPNs/Proxies don't work mostly and they are just a scam, I have tried so many of them during the time I used to play (BattlePing/WTFast/Cyberghost) and it never made it better.
I always get between 100-120 ping on EU hosts and 160-240 on Canada/US hosts.
I haven't seen any server that work for all perfect yet, Most of them have to choose between EU Community or Brazil Community, None of them can handle both with good ping.

Yeah you're just not going to get <100 ping to anywhere in the world, it's just not possible.

Yeah you're just not going to get <100 ping to anywhere in the world, it's just not possible.
Its possible or else why I am getting ping in 60 Cloudflare/Google when location is really far away of me? Its just too expensive or too hard to be done in OTS.

Last edited:
I think what the pink panther was referring to is that even if you host in AWS, Azure or GPC, not everyone will get a great ping to everywhere. And that's right, it's physically impossible.

Also proxies are bullshit for the same reason :)

Its possible or else why I am getting ping in 60 Cloudflare/Google when location is really far away of me? Its just too expensive or too hard to be done in OTS.

A DNS proxy, probably.

You can not improve ping above a certain value, no matter how much bandwidth you have. It simply takes time for the data to travel and there's no way around it.

The reason I went over to RL tibia:
  • Servers closes and keeps bad content
  • Hella bad staff members
  • Lagging
  • Always the samethings, more for the money then the server itself
  • I came for an OTS not for a RL tibia copy, I rather just play RL then, but I do love RL maps but just not a straight copy or too OP shits. Just going to do my own one cus damn can't spot any OTS in my taste anymore. Miss Hexera.net

Lots more to explain but guess this is enough

I have been developing my server for years. Its been online and stable for 4+ years (albeit just moved to the US) and we dont have any mtx at all, no p2w nothing. The server isnt an RL clone its a proper from scratch TFS built server. I like to think we still make/maintain an OT to the old school standards. What I would say has the biggest impact is the fractured community broken up all over the place and the inability to reach and market to them effectively is a big part in why OT's are hard to fill up these days. Its hard to reach the player base. People dont use OTserverlist as much these days, Otland for advertisement is arlight but limited not as many people on OTland as their once was. The population is scattarded into small private community discords. The only big way to do it now days is to pay streamers but even their were do you acess these guys? You could sit their watching the tibia twitch list PMing streamers but thats not a very efficent use fo time. I think the obvious reasons in the above posts have a big impact but for someone trying to do it the "right" way its been getting the servers name out their and filling it with players i find tough.

Last edited:
The reason I went over to RL tibia:
  • Servers closes and keeps bad content
  • Hella bad staff members
  • Lagging
  • Always the samethings, more for the money then the server itself
  • I came for an OTS not for a RL tibia copy, I rather just play RL then, but I do love RL maps but just not a straight copy or too OP shits. Just going to do my own one cus damn can't spot any OTS in my taste anymore. Miss Hexera.net

Lots more to explain but guess this is enough

All reasons why I host my project :) But not everyone looks for the same kind of servers to play.

We've been up 2y+, it's a retro OT but i continue to add new and custom content and changes as well

Back