• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What method(s) do YOU use to turn a plot idea into a quest?

Sam Drost

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
I want to preface my question with a little background. I am not trying to make a MMO. My goal is to make a virtual playground that me and my kids can play around in. I enjoyed Tibia a long time ago, and showing my daughter the map that comes bundled with TFS 1.2, she seems to be enjoying it. To that end, I want to make an exclusively PvE server with a lot of plot.

I have some ideas on quests, but I don't know how to go from there to something that can be played. I'm not asking for how to code the quests, the ideas I have aren't fleshed out enough to code yet, and I think, having looked at some example scripts, that I will be able to do that easily enough once I have fleshed out the quests, what I am asking for is what method you use to bridge the gap between "The player(s) will X" to being ready to code the thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that is highly situational depending on the player(s) will? :p
Could you give a few samples?

Sure thing. Pretty, cliche stuff, but here goes.

1. A wizard asks the player(s) to retrieve a MacGuffin in order to stop a demon from resurrecting.
  2. Another group opposes the player(s) because, for generations, they have been protecting the MacGuffin because it actually corrupts anyone who uses it.
  3. A cult is trying to bring about the resurrection, and so they oppose the players as well. They believe that performing a ritual will bring about the resurrection, but really they are being used as a red herring by the demon.
  4. In reality, the MacGuffin being used does not corrupt the user, it allows the demon to possess the user. When the players return the MacGuffin to the wizard, the wizard will turn into an enemy for the climactic battle.

Hmmm

A wizard / witch (NPC) in the open world, far away from any town lives in a mage tower, and researches this location known as "MacGuffin's lair". A location full of creatures that appears to be protecting something. Apparently they have done so for many generations.

Players can talk to this NPC to obtain this information, and do a couple resource gathering quests for the NPC in order to open a portal to this location and obtain this item for further research. But the NPC recommends a team of at least 3 players of XX level in order to successfully complete the teleportation ritual.

I would map a hunting ground, along the likes of "MacGuffin's lair" with various creatures that you have to kill to reach the quest to obtain a MacGuffin. To access this location, you would need 3+ players, considering it to be a team. The level requirement to participate should be high enough for the team to be able to kill a solo demon, and the monsters you have to pass in the "MacGuffin's lair" should be challenging enough to prove that the team is capable of dealing with a demon later on.

state 1: The players die in MacGuffin's lair before completing the quest
  • The area around the mage tower is filled with bandits (cultists), making it harder to reach the Wizard NPC
  • When they reach the NPC and talk to him, he informs them that an opposing faction, known as a cult has managed to force his hand, invade the MacGuffin's lair and obtain the item. They took advantage of the situation and attacked while the lair was weakened.
  • In order to aquire the MacGuffin, you now have to retrieve it from Cult's hideout which is a different location. In the last room here, when you enter it the leader of the cult uses the MacGuffin and turns into a demon you have to defeat in order to obtain the MacGuffin.

state 2: The players successfully obtain the MacGuffin:
- They are able to retrieve the macGuffin and deliver it back to the wizard, the wizard begins acting weird and elemental magic gets thrown around in the mage tower, altering the design into an inescapable chamber, and turns into a weak version of Ferumbras that the team has to defeat.

================

2-3 mapped locations (mage tower, macguffins lair, cultists hideout)
1-2 NPCs (Wizard, Cultist leader)
3-4 players dungeon quest, roughly around level 40?

Back