• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Wheel of Time Teaser I - Tar Valon

Reaction score
update 7/15/13
Just wanted to give a short update, Caemlyn has been finished along with most of Tar Valons NPCs. The Braem Wood's creatures have been made and summit has begun mapping that area (between Tar Valon and Caemlyn .see map.) Soon, within a week, we are going to make a more organized thread for all discussion and all future teasers. We are just waiting for an issue with paypal to be resolved so we can use a private rev because I need some missing functions to finish classes and some of the core scripts. A class teaser will be released with the start of that thread.

Wheel of Time

"And his paths shall be many, and who shall know his name, for he shall be born among us many times, in many guises, as he has been and ever will be, time without end. His coming shall be like the sharp edge of the plow, turning our lives in furrows from out of the places where we lie in our silence. The breaker of bonds; the forger of chains. The maker of futures; the unshaper of destiny."

—Commentaries on the Prophecies of the Dragon, by Jurith Dorine, Right Hand to the Queen of Almoren, 742 AB, the Third Age.

Tar Valon

A city on a island in the River Erinin. The center of Aes Sedai power, and the location of the White Tower. Aes Sedai and Warders begin their adventure here.

West Bridge

hv5vdd.jpg

Inn
35be9ds.jpg

Inn Rooms
Inn's act like depots in the Wheel of Time
r09fgk.jpg

South Bridge
jrz1g4.jpg

Equipment
30upoxx.jpg

White Tower
34y3dhs.jpg

White Tower Grounds
2j5i09.jpg

Wheel of Time OTServ is an epic adventure role-playing world based on the Wheel of Time books written by Robert Jordan. We are essentially using TFS as a clean slate, throwing out all of Tibia's gameplay, this will be a wholly new experience. I will go into a general overview of features which will be discussed thoroughly throughout the teasers along with lore.

the Classes

Warder
Warders are melee-tanks who use the Heron stances as abilites. They are bound to an Aes Sedai and guard them with their lives.

Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai are the spell-casting class of Wheel of Time rending the elements through the flow of the True Source.

Gleeman
Gleemen are the ranged support class. Those who have surpassed jesters and bards, traveling the land as entertainers.

Gameplay

All monsters, items, spells everything is new. The exp table has been redone to accommodate the world we are creating. There will be no dull drab 2 hour hunts running through a cave in circles. We strongly encourage party hunting after the early levels, you receive full exp from creatures while in a party, the monsters and classes have been designed for for an enthralling team experience. Item's have random bonus attributes for a diverse, fun hunting and economical value.

The server is an adventure. Exploration and questing play a MASSIVE part. We try not to be overwhelming there will be "zones" for a range of levels; this does not alter the amazing feeling of trekking through the wilderness exploring or bantering back and forth with an npc to discover their secretes; a deeper explanation will be for later teasers.

I hope I've managed to wet your taste, this was just meant to be a brief description of the world we are creating. Tar Valon is completely finished, Summit is near finishing another city called Caemlyn. Expect Caemlyn and Class Specific teasers in the near future.

Hope you enjoyed.
Sincerely,
Black Reaper & Summit

Last edited:
I loved the books, I hope you are successful in your project!

server looks good but i dont really like most of the pieces, most of them look empty or not enough detail in them, also try not to stretch the gamewindow because the quality of the pieces isnt that great either :/

read this to upgrade the quality:
http://otland.net/f57/how-take-ingame-screenshots-properly-104784/

good luck with ur project anyway, i look forward playing it!

kind regards,
Hehemidu

Yeah I agree with hehemidu, the map does look rather empty and not detailed enough but other than that its looking pretty good, I hope this project does't die good luck!

server looks good but i dont really like most of the pieces, most of them look empty or not enough detail in them, also try not to stretch the gamewindow because the quality of the pieces isnt that great either :/

read this to upgrade the quality:
http://otland.net/f57/how-take-ingame-screenshots-properly-104784/
good luck with ur project anyway, i look forward playing it!

kind regards,
Hehemidu

Thanks for pointing out the game window, looks much better now. I try to map things more realistically and I feel a lot of people just spam details in their map for substance but thank you for the constructive criticism, hope it's not too bad hehe.

I took a better picture of the south gate and changed up a few others. Should show a bit more detail of the map. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I haven't read this book so I'm wondering where you base your mapping on?
Is it imagination from the books or is there a movie or something behind it aswell?

I see som minor errors and stuff I wouldn't do myself.
Overall it looks good.
Keep it up

I do like some of the simplicity, but I would add some small stones here and there to make it not look as plain. Oh and try not to put grass tufts on top of bushes, trees, and such. (It looks horrible) I also don't really like the logic of having a lamp on top of a window. Finally I would make the dirt parts just a smidgen bigger. Overall it looks pretty nice just a few things that would make it better.

I haven't read this book so I'm wondering where you base your mapping on?
Is it imagination from the books or is there a movie or something behind it aswell?

I see som minor errors and stuff I wouldn't do myself.
Overall it looks good.
Keep it up

Yeah we are drawing inspiration from the books on the mapping, 80% of the areas will be from the book but in order to have a functioning fun server we have to add some things. There is no movie... don't even get me started haha. Thanks, pretty soon (like 3-4 days) I'll have the Gleeman or Aes Sedai vocation show which should be pretty sweet.

I do like some of the simplicity, but I would add some small stones here and there to make it not look as plain. Oh and try not to put grass tufts on top of bushes, trees, and such. (It looks horrible) I also don't really like the logic of having a lamp on top of a window. Finally I would make the dirt parts just a smidgen bigger. Overall it looks pretty nice just a few things that would make it better.

Noted. Summit told me to put a plain wall where the lamps are at the front if the in haha.Thanks for the advice.

The server is going to be entirely based off of the lore and story from Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (please read them or listen to the audio books... its totally worth it). Our goal is to stay as close to the books as possible while maintaining a playable server. We even go so far as to pick out specific quotes of Mr. Jordan's descriptions (which are numerous and detailed in the books) to use as a basis when we plan out the cities. Granted this can only go so far due to the limitations of graphics, but we've been taking extra steps to make it happen. I can't get into much detail on the various features we are going to have (we'll release some snippets about that kinda stuff soon) but we're going to have plenty of RPG elements, picking the good ones from our many years of playing games. There's next to no chance that we'll burn out on making the server as we're still reading the books (I just finished book 2 today, black finished 3 today) and are completely engrossed in the story, this is giving us alot of determination and inspiration while we work. I even go so far as to listen to the audio books while mapping. We really want to do as much justice to the book as possible because we enjoy it so much. I'll keep you guys posted on information releases and screenshots in the very near future.

Sidenote: what would you guys think about a possible youtube channel for video spotlights and such. also maybe a twitter for snippets and thread posts?

Thanks! I've been using a terrible quality one i found on google that criss crossed with trek paths from the books.

Just wanted to give a short update, Caemlyn has been finished along with most of Tar Valons NPCs. The Braem Wood's creatures have been made and summit has begun mapping that area (between Tar Valon and Caemlyn .see map.) Soon, within a week, we are going to make a more organized thread for all discussion and all future teasers. We are just waiting for an issue with paypal to be resolved so we can use a private rev because I need some missing functions to finish classes and some of the core scripts. A class teaser will be released along with the start of that thread.

Back