• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Where can I get a prepaid credit card in the U.S?

ghettobird

LUA newbie
Reaction score
Hey OTland, well I recently got my credit card hacked online through signing up to a bunch of bullshit websites (couldn't even tell which one caused this) but long story short my credit card was compromised and the hacker took around 3,500$...

I managed to get them back but I had to stay for 2 hours on the phone with my bank (Bank Of America)

So I changed everything & got a new credit card from them which I'm only going to be using offline (ATM's & store checkouts)

I wanted to get a prepaid credit/debit card if possible so even if I get hacked I wouldn't have much money on there & I get to re-charge or even re-buy it whenever I want to...

Keep in mind I live in Houston, Texas so if you know any store that sells these please tell me.

Thanks =)

why u dont get paypal and after buy prepaid card from website XD

Try going to places like a post shop etc
idk should I like drive there & ask them if they have prepaid credit cards? I can do it it's no problem but I was just wondering if there was like a place for that here

idk should I like drive there & ask them if they have prepaid credit cards? I can do it it's no problem but I was just wondering if there was like a place for that here
Easiest and most convenient way is to phone them and enquire. Post shops here in New Zealand seem to be one of the only places that sell them so I'm guessing it's possibly the same for the states

In Canada, you can buy pre-paid/reloadable credit cards at any of the major gas stations.

You can also ask your Bank for a Credit Card that is loadable.
The problem with pre-paid/reloadable credit cards, at least in Canada, is that they are not accepted at most online check-outs.

Many Visa/Debit (a functional debit and credit card built into one) is not usable in many online stores either.

The reason for this is because fundamentally, a pre-paid or reloadable credit card.. is in fact not a CREDITcard. (even though it's name implies this.)
A creditcard assumes you have the money available at the time of purchase, because you are using someone else's money (credit), whereas pre-paid and reloadable credit cards can not assume you have the funds, they require the funds to be verified, which makes instantaneous transactions impossible, and many online websites don't want the additional overhead to verify the funds. (which is generally 20-40% over the normal transaction fee's).

What I would suggest, instead of hitting that roadblock with pre-paid/reloadable cards.., Ask your Bank to reduce the limit on your credit card to something manageable, like $300-500.
You can always call your Bank up and increase your credit limit on the card for very large purchases when required.. but this way you know it's impossible for you lose a huge amount of money if your credit card is stolen/hacked/used without permission/et cetera..

In Canada, you can buy pre-paid/reloadable credit cards at any of the major gas stations.

The problem with pre-paid/reloadable credit cards, at least in Canada, is that they are not accepted at most online check-outs.

Many Visa/Debit (a functional debit and credit card built into one) is not usable in many online stores either.

The reason for this is because fundamentally, a pre-paid or reloadable credit card.. is in fact not a CREDITcard. (even though it's name implies this.)
A creditcard assumes you have the money available at the time of purchase, because you are using someone else's money (credit), whereas pre-paid and reloadable credit cards can not assume you have the funds, they require the funds to be verified, which makes instantaneous transactions impossible, and many online websites don't want the additional overhead to verify the funds. (which is generally 20-40% over the normal transaction fee's).

What I would suggest, instead of hitting that roadblock with pre-paid/reloadable cards.., Ask your Bank to reduce the limit on your credit card to something manageable, like $300-500.
You can always call your Bank up and increase your credit limit on the card for very large purchases when required.. but this way you know it's impossible for you lose a huge amount of money if your credit card is stolen/hacked/used without permission/et cetera..
of all, thank you for taking the time to write this post :)

I can't limit the one I have now as it is my main one which I use to buy literally anything... I spent around 1200$ last month & that's a normal month without anything crazy in it (apart from the 3500 from our wonderful hacker)

So limiting wouldn't really solve my problem. I might ask the bank if it's possible to like give me another credit card or open another bank account which then could be limited for online usage only. I surfed the web a little and saw something called Walmart Money Card, I'm not entirely sure if I can use this with everything or only for Walmart so I'll have to call & ask about that...

I'll try and find some "major" gas station in Houston (not really sure where to find one but I'll be going tomorrow anyway)

Thank you again for taking the time to port

Easiest and most convenient way is to phone them and enquire. Post shops here in New Zealand seem to be one of the only places that sell them so I'm guessing it's possibly the same for the states

I'll call one tomorrow then & see what they say, thanks for taking the time to post =)

Pretty sure this is false, I've never been on a site that doesn't take a Visa Debit now- It's very rare, VERY RARE(All I do is shop for shit online & have never ran into a site that doesn't accept one)that you'd run into someplace that doesn't accept your Visa Debit.

Go to your Bank, apply for one- aslong as you're over 18(younger depending on the country) they should accept you for a Visa Debit.
Then make a paypal account & verify it with the Visa Debit, then you have both a Debit card & Paypal whenever you need it.

I'm also pretty sure a Visa Debit, is considered a Credit Card at this point- the different between a Visa & a Visa debit is that you can only spend money that you have on a Debit(bank account), where you can have an overdraft with the other(Probably more benefits than that obviously but not really relevant). Both I'm pretty sure are instant regardless.

Last edited:

I've used a preloaded card before online, it's the same as a credit card o.o. Maybe cause I live in US dno.

VISA prepaid card and shit you can get from certain large gas stations/Walgreens/CVS Pharmacys shit like that

Why not just stick to "legit" online shops. I wouldn't trust my CC details with just any online shop. But I wouldnt get a prepaid CC to pay for a shady online shop either.

walmart. they're 4.95 for the ones you can use online :) You'll have to register a zipcode to be able to use online. Run by Green Dot Bank. They will say Visa on them. I grab the ones that say Happy birthday on them usually xD 20-500$ MAX tho.

I went to Walgreens the other day & got myself a prepaid american express gift card or w/e u call them, still waiting on paypal to verify me tho xD

"PAYPAL INC MARK" that's the description but they said it should change in a day or two so let's see :)

I'm one step ahead there, been for years..

For safety:
Have 1 bank account there money goes to, salary etc.. (account without card)
Have another account that's linked to a card, transfer whatever you expect to use the next couple of days, keep refill it, whenever you're expecting to use it.
That way, you can't lose everything, as you'll never have more on the card, than you expect to use.

For extra safety, as myself, have an additional card made for "internet business".
That card will pretty much be empty at all times, but when you're about to buy/order something, you transfer whatever you need to it.
That way, scammers online will never have any use of your card info as it will be completely empty most of the time :)

Back