• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Where to start learning about OT Clients/Servers?

jimmao

Reaction score
Hey.

Been playing OTs and Tibia in general for almost 2 decades now but never took the time to learn any coding or anything related as to how to make an OT myself.

Where do I even start if I would like to attempt making one of my own? Do I need to learn lua / c++ before I even attempt to make my own server? How does one even begin the process of making his/her own OT?

I'm willing to dedicate a few hours daily for this since I'm still in school. Any advice or general guidelines are appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you want to do a good job, yes, you will need to learn programming.
I suggest you take a quick course on algorithms.
Then take a course on C++

You can get pretty far with just Lua code honestly.
This guide is what got me started. Only issue is is that its written for an older TFS, so not all functions will be relevant.

This wiki will be your friend once you start writing scripts.
Would also recommend joining the "Open-Tibia Academy" Discord server. Great place to get quick answers to your questions without having to make a million threads on Otland

Hey.

Been playing OTs and Tibia in general for almost 2 decades now but never took the time to learn any coding or anything related as to how to make an OT myself.

Where do I even start if I would like to attempt making one of my own? Do I need to learn lua / c++ before I even attempt to make my own server? How does one even begin the process of making his/her own OT?

I'm willing to dedicate a few hours daily for this since I'm still in school. Any advice or general guidelines are appreciated.

Thanks!
man, it’s not a big deal with the contents and support that you have here, soon or later you will start a learn a lot of things about C, Lua, XML, etcs..

my guide is choose your engine that you think is better and game protocol, search about Remeres map editor, probably you’ll use it to make some changes at your map.

depending of the SO that you using and the engine that you choose, you will need to compile the source codes to generate a executable of the server, without it you can’t run your server local or remote in a host. just search about your engine and how to compile, take a look in some threads and soon you will get it too.

to put it online you need know something about database (mysql, phpmyadmin), and if you want a site for your server, probably you will learn something about php, html, css, for the sites search about Myaac, Gesior, Znote.

Also has the clients, you can use a default tibia client with a ip changer for you server, or use the custom ones like OTC, OTCV8, Mehas, Tibianic.. with the custom ones you can handle with the UI, change things in client, don’t need to use ip changer, but prepare yourself for few work..

good luck, i hope it help in something.

Back