• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Which one should I try to learn?

Zasranets

Alan
Reaction score
I've been very bored waiting for necronia to come out and I'm tired of looking for servers. I decided that in the meantime I might as well do something to pass the time, perhaps start to slowly work on a server and I can't decide if I should try scripting, mapping, or spriting. It would be nice if you guys could post which of the 3 you like the best, how hard it is to learn, maybe some tips or suggestions. Thanks to anyone who helps. :)

Depends, have you mapped before? If there is evidence that you're decent, then mapping, people can teach you.
Scripting is probably a lot harder since you actually have to learn instead of just getting better at clicking stuff.
Spriting, may be fun.. but unless you're going to actually join Necronia as a spriter than there's no point.

I think you should go with mapping. I can do a little mapping, & I'm not too bad at it.
But if ya wanna take up mapping, my opinion is do it without auto borders. Work looks a lot better. Mapping and donating map pieces is also a nice way to get some reputation here.

Either or, as Peroxides Cat said, scripting is harder unless you understand computer code and Mapping takes a long time since you want to make nice pieces (plus a lot of good mappers only utilize RAW, if not all mappers)

Depends, have you mapped before? If there is evidence that you're decent, then mapping, people can teach you.
Scripting is probably a lot harder since you actually have to learn instead of just getting better at clicking stuff.
Spriting, may be fun.. but unless you're going to actually join Necronia as a spriter than there's no point.
I actually disagree - Mapping is showing progress and results right away which is more gratituding - hence why people stick to it.
No reason why Scripting would be harder than the average mapping. On this forum, sure we got a overwhelming amount of under-average mappers and barely no scripters, as the Mapping section of OTLand is well maintained and results are shown visually and easier to enjoy than a wall-o'-text for the common eye.
To really make a piece which sticks to someones brain, you'd have to master the mapping techniques aswell as created your unique and personal style which seperates you from rest. Which could be a challenge if ur not born artistic. Some people is born to understand that horrific wall-o'-text with ease.

Sum Summarum, Whatever you pick - make sure it's you. You'll not making urself a favor only cause it's feeling like the easier thing to do, your lack of ambitious is really shown in mappings when you showoff them. Trust me.

Well, thanks to all of those who have commented. Judging by what you've all said, I'm going to take a try at mapping. Even if it turns out I'm not a "born" artistic as Demon Eldorath said I think anything is possible with enough practice. I'll probably be a pretty big noob when starting out but I believe that eventually I'll progress and get better. Now a few questions if you don't mind. What determines a good piece of work? Is it how detailed it is, or how everything fits the theme? Also what does auto border and "RAW" mean?

Well, thanks to all of those who have commented. Judging by what you've all said, I'm going to take a try at mapping. Even if it turns out I'm not a "born" artistic as Demon Eldorath said I think anything is possible with enough practice. I'll probably be a pretty big noob when starting out but I believe that eventually I'll progress and get better. Now a few questions if you don't mind. What determines a good piece of work? Is it how detailed it is, or how everything fits the theme? Also what does auto border and "RAW" mean?

Gratz :)
Open a mapping thread nowz ?! :D

Pressing A inside RME enables the AUROBORDER feature. A neat little feature indeed but kinda limits your mapping somewhat. Disabling Autoborder "A" will only put the tile, letting the border of choice been placed by you in any combination. For example, Grass autobordering - will add grassborders ontop of lets say rocksoil - and then you're done. Nothing special - but if you allow the time to flow while you map (non-autobordering) you'll be left with loads more possibility to mix borders, and perhaps mix borders incase of 3-4 close lapsing groundtiles(different ground types)

RAW - is RAW, just SPR by SPR in any of the main categories, Terrain, Doodads items etc.
Using RAW is more for the handyman or the one with a vision of a area who's set on a goal and perhaps got a premade idea in your imagination. Doodads is usually used and ABUSED by people in rush or whoever perhaps doesn't value great mapping. Doodads will make a premade random-brush which will fill a area with trees, bushes or whatever Doodad brush you've chosen. Ofcourse you're able to remove tree by tree if the doodad-trees doesn't correspond to your vision - but most people who uses Doodads are to lazy to remove trees to reach a more natural looking scene. All of this which I could've stated here would get pretty obvious regarding nature - just check nature and different sceneries in Mapping showoff to decide urself which is most natural, best looking and playerfriendly (=Not 1sqm paths on hunting grounds.)

Last edited:

:< dont get pro and steal my job mapping on necronia !

if you need any help just pm any one of us mappers and we will gladly help or direct you to someone who will :>

Now a few questions if you don't mind. What determines a good piece of work? Is it how detailed it is, or how everything fits the theme? Also what does auto border and "RAW" mean?

Autoborder is an option in Remere. It makes borders automatic when it's on and you're using Terrain Palette. This option has some bad parts, it makes unnatural shapes, makes borders on places you don't want, can make bugs and can delete/replace items in the map (that doesn't match autobordering).
So that's why people advice to put it off. You can make alot more you want if it's off.
RAW is a Palette, it contains all items. Other Palettes mostly contain the most used items and have their own options. Terrain for example randomizes the grounds. Doodad selects certain similar item groups. Although it's not really useful to add them like that, because it will be really random and you can't choose which items you want, but it's usefull if you need to find certain items.

Another useful tool in rme is "j" shortcut. it is the jump to brush.. so u press j and type in the name and/or id of the sprite you want. :>

Scripting or spriting. Mapping is just a waste of time, there's no reason to be good at it - it won't help your server and you will have no use of it for anything else in your life. Aslong as you can make decent looking maps that's fine.

Go with scripting, seriously
Make mapping and look of your server second priority
don't make your server larger than 768x768 unless you except much people
I've wasted too much time on mapping before I realised 80% of my project sucks with quality(60% from this is copied), 20% is average(12% is copied from other maps)
Now I've created new map with size 512x512 - I decided to make quality main priority(basic map used in my project is edited evolutions from my signature). Good ot doesn't need map as big as current real tibia to make players play on it, good example is many evolutions remakes - Small, simple, awesome(unless you're looking for well detailed masterpiece with ideas, I didn't saw any good evo these days).

He said hes doing ut to pass time until necronia is finished. He isnt planning on making a whole new indepth server.. That would take months.. Mapping is great to pass the time and there is always a demand for it in ots. I understand scripting and design are more useful but mapping is a light activity not requiring too much work from the go (as in to begin). It allows him to be creative and hell, if he gets decent for e.g he can even join the necronia team ahshahsa but no taking my job ;<

- - - Updated - - -

He may have said slowly develop a serer but thats while he waits xd

It seems that scripting is more beneficial than mapping, though it might be harder I think it's worth it in the end. Does anyone have any tips for scripting? Maybe some tutorials or how to start out?

Well. Since we're buddys and I'm ascripter I would suggest Scripting. Eventho scripting has the longest learning phase(well it has if you want to learn script, not using copy/past for tibia which actually is enought for 99% of the things you need to do). Theres not enought scripters that help out in other servers wile finding a mapper is kinda easy. the thing people would requir you for the most is spriters since those are the once doing theyre job in custom servers(your type of servers ofc. ) :) hope i helped a little

Back