• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Which programming languages is good to know when you host and programming your own ots?

Moviescript

Reaction score
Hello OTLANDERS. I just got one question today, which programming language is good to know when you programming open-tibia servers? I have checked around and see that you need to know Lua and C+. Is there something more you need to know before you start to create your own OT? If you got time, then I would like to have tutorials so I can learn how to programming in Lua, C+ and more language if there are any. I know basic HTML, CSS, JS and PHP, but thats all.

I also search a tutorial for mapping and design items and monsters.

Solution
You just need to learn basic Lua, and understand the TFS script interface and metatables, the revscriptsys feature is a big plus.
And thats pretty much it (Ohh and the map editor). You can go into PHP to make specialized tweaks on the website, or C++ to tweak the engine, but in 99.9% of scenarios this is completely uneccesary, and in the rare cases you need to enter sources, there is some tutorial that shows you step by step what to change. (etc 4x ip count for otservlist).

I don't know (much) C++, and I intentionally avoid using it while building my OT projects. I can still make very customized OT servers, like a battle royale server without touching anything beside server side Lua and the webstack.
For Lua you can use this one
For C++ you can use this

For mapping you can check this

Lua is a 100% must, C++ not so much unless you're planning on making your own source edits.
I've written a small book to help new people learn Lua here if you'd like to read: Guide to scripting with Lua (https://otland.net/threads/guide-to-scripting-with-lua.265958/)
Knowledge of XML should be a given as well for script registration / other configurations (not a programming language, but you need to be familiar with the syntax).
If you're planning on creating your own website as well, yes, all of those web development languages you mentioned, you need to be comfortable with. Otherwise, you can just use one of the premade AACs.
If you're set on trying to learn C++, I learned some of what I know from learncpp.com, but a major chunk of my knowledge on C++ now comes from me messing around with TFS sources and having 200 tabs open with stackoverflow to learn and understand why what i'm writing in that moment is/isn't working.

Best thing I can tell you is to practice while you're learning, try to understand why and how code works, especially if someone gives you a code snippet (or even a full script). Also try to practice what you're learning, even if you're just remaking someone else's code or editing some small part of it. You're still applying what knowledge you just learned and putting it into practice, and helps you retain that knowledge for future use.

Last edited:
but a major chunk of my knowledge on C++ now comes from me messing around with TFS sources and having 200 tabs open with stackoverflow to learn and understand why what i'm writing in that moment is/isn't working.
aoeuhaehoaehauheauehauehaueh it can't get much more real than that 🤪 that's a sincere and useful advice.

I feel very inclined to agree with @Delusion. His gitbook is very well written, succint and clear (he knows his stuff, check his signature and best answers count 0: ). You shold certainly give it go!

If you are really determined to learn c++ - playlist
You wont learn a programming language unless you try it yourself. Dont just watch the tutorial, code at the same time and after try to apply learnt knowledge on some little project or simple programs. Good luck.

If you are really determined to learn c++ - playlist
You wont learn a programming language unless you try it yourself. Dont just watch the tutorial, code at the same time and after try to apply learnt knowledge on some little project or simple programs. Good luck.
Pretty cool playlist. 😯

You just need to learn basic Lua, and understand the TFS script interface and metatables, the revscriptsys feature is a big plus.
And thats pretty much it (Ohh and the map editor). You can go into PHP to make specialized tweaks on the website, or C++ to tweak the engine, but in 99.9% of scenarios this is completely uneccesary, and in the rare cases you need to enter sources, there is some tutorial that shows you step by step what to change. (etc 4x ip count for otservlist).

I don't know (much) C++, and I intentionally avoid using it while building my OT projects. I can still make very customized OT servers, like a battle royale server without touching anything beside server side Lua and the webstack.

Last edited:
Solution
Back