• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Why does every server nowadays have "tasks"?

Achelexus

Reaction score
The whole purpose of it is to give more exp on average per monster, if you want to give more exp, just ramp up the exp rate of the server. All the task system does is make it a bit more annoying to level by forcing the players to stay on certain monster spawns until their task is done, rather than go level somewhere else when they get bored.

More exp? Arent task for bosses? Usually bosses gives rare items thats why tasks exists.

I can agree tasks are annoying, even more as a developer.
No matter what I work on, tasks are expected and a lot of people get angry/sad if there's no task available.

I've tried around some with it, and it seems the most acceptable task system gives you exp and money rather than a item, if they give an item they better give exp as well.
on a 8.0 server some years ago, I had tasks there you finished a task, and you had to find a boss and kill it, and the task reset and you could repeat it, and the boss gave random exp/loot.
And all tasks was enabled at all times, so you could go dragons and collect 10 kills, and then go another creature for a while and come back doing dragons.

in my mind, I thought such system with all tasks enabled at all times would be appreciated by the reason you stated, people wont be stuck with 1 monster (and maybe there's no empty spots with those creatures).
But no, it was not acceptable, it must be 1 task, preferred 2 that you can enable, but not more.
And it shouldn't lead to bosses, you should get go to an NPC and claim your reward.

So the original idea with task, is pretty much gone as the community expect them to be all about exp/cash.

Its basically a time sink, a way to keep players entertained and/or guide them through your server. Depending on the kind of server it may be positive to have them or not.

Its more or less the same as servers where you just take a TP in town to the hunting area or those servers where there is a huge world to explore and you have to actually move around it to go hunting. In the first server you will spend 99% of your play time hunting, no exploring involved. In the second server it will be much less time hunting and actually exploring (time sink)

I can agree tasks are annoying, even more as a developer.
No matter what I work on, tasks are expected and a lot of people get angry/sad if there's no task available.

I've tried around some with it, and it seems the most acceptable task system gives you exp and money rather than a item, if they give an item they better give exp as well.
on a 8.0 server some years ago, I had tasks there you finished a task, and you had to find a boss and kill it, and the task reset and you could repeat it, and the boss gave random exp/loot.
And all tasks was enabled at all times, so you could go dragons and collect 10 kills, and then go another creature for a while and come back doing dragons.

in my mind, I thought such system with all tasks enabled at all times would be appreciated by the reason you stated, people wont be stuck with 1 monster (and maybe there's no empty spots with those creatures).
But no, it was not acceptable, it must be 1 task, preferred 2 that you can enable, but not more.
And it shouldn't lead to bosses, you should get go to an NPC and claim your reward.

So the original idea with task, is pretty much gone as the community expect them to be all about exp/cash.

The boss idea seems much better than a huge exp bonus(which is what the majority of tasks give as a reward).

It make game more fair for players who got less time.
For exmaple if task takes 2h and gives 100 mln exp, by normal hunting you have 10 mln exp per hour so if you play like 3h a day you gain 100 + 3 *10 = 130 mln exp a day a player who play 8h a day will get 180 mln exp so only 40% more exp for player who spent 8h a day, but without that task player who spent 3h a day get 30 mln and player who play 8h a day get 80 mln which is almost 3 times more.

If you had a lack of time would you prefer server where your enemy get exp 3x times faster than you or 1.4x times?

It make game more fair for players who got less time.
For exmaple if task takes 2h and gives 100 mln exp, by normal hunting you have 10 mln exp per hour so if you play like 3h a day you gain 100 + 3 *10 = 130 mln exp a day a player who play 8h a day will get 180 mln exp so only 40% more exp for player who spent 8h a day, but without that task player who spent 3h a day get 30 mln and player who play 8h a day get 80 mln which is almost 3 times more.

If you had a lack of time would you prefer server where your enemy get exp 3x times faster than you or 1.4x times?

Usually it's a long time before players run out of tasks, depending on the rate of the server, they can just do tasks until a very high level.

Back