• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Why was the game so successful in Brazil and Poland?

what country are you from?

• Poland

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Brazil

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • France

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canada

• Germany

• Spain

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Others

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Morcega Negra

Banned User
Solutions
Reaction score
Most of the servers posted here are from Europe
USA, France etc ... but in the global game I only see Brazilians and Polonezes as the great mass, of which country are you?
another question, what possible theory has been successful tibia game in Brazil and Poland?
No other online game you see so many Brazilians and Polish,

Not to offend anyone but my theory is...

Tibia can run on any old computer and doesn't need high bandwidth, just moderate latency.
Lower income areas will play Tibia more because they don't have the resources for more advanced games.

Tibia can run on any old computer and doesn't need high bandwidth, just moderate latency.
Lower income areas will play Tibia more because they don't have the resources for more advanced games.
I do not know if this is it, I never saw in Brazil someone who played tibia because it was the only game that worked, on the contrary, in the time of Tibia, had many players of ragnarok, mu online and others, but nonetheless it was successful

This could have been the reason in 90s / early 2000s, but now it's a whole different story. Contrary to what people think, Poland is not a shithole it used to be during 80s and 90s, Poland's not poor neither, so that theory, at least for us, is irrelevant. I just think because people grew up with tibia, so it's hard to give it up your "childhood" per se.

This could have been the reason in 90s / early 2000s, but now it's a whole different story. Contrary to what people think, Poland is not a shithole it used to be during 80s and 90s, Poland's not poor neither, so that theory, at least for us, is irrelevant. I just think because people grew up with tibia, so it's hard to give it up your "childhood" per se.
Yes, but it's difficult to understand who made the game market in poland

I believe you are correct in the BR market... I think the polish market is nostalgia + following puniodouche and other large polish groups..

There arent many games where you can TS and fight pvp in such large teams like in Tibia/ in the markets where they are/were famous they stick around for that aspect.

while hunting is grindy, Its a game where you can have unique encounters with other players 99% of the time

I know ppl here in the USA that play Tibia from a lack of any game being like it. No USA option? :(

Last edited:
Brazil is usually one of the countries with the highest population in any mmorpg, with the tibia could not be different.
I believe you are correct in the BR market... I think the polish market is nostalgia + following puniodouche and other large polish groups..

There arent many games where you can TS and fight pvp in such large teams like in Tibia/ in the markets where they are/were famous they stick around for that aspect.

while hunting is grindy, Its a game where you can have unique encounters with other players 99% of the time

I know ppl here in the USA that play Tibia from a lack of any game being like it. No USA option? :(
I'm Brazilian and I do not know a person if I want to play tibia for weak internet option and weak pc ..

I'm Brazilian and I do not know a person if I want to play tibia for weak internet option and weak pc ..
I wasnt trying to offend but I know many
I had to debug a lot of issues with OTC related to the persons computer and more often than not they had i5 processors with 2 GHZ and only 8 gb or less of ram. Some even still running windows xp.

im not saying all brs play tibia because they have crappy computers, not what im saying, what I am saying is a lot from that region play tibia and also have old lower spec computers and cannot run things that requires more ram or GPU, just as Syntax was stating. Whether this is causation to why more brs play tibia? Who knows, correlation isnt causation but it is a correlation.

Im sure a lot of brs are on low spec fortnite and other games..

Just because you dont know anyone does not mean there isnt a large population that fits the narrative.

But hey the more ppl playing old school tibia I think is awesome.. Its a great game. Its not a bad thing.

Last edited:
I don't know about Brazil or Poland, but I can tell you how it was in Bosnia and Herzegovina, where I am from.
Watching Tibia leave its footprint here was interesting for me, as I grew up with the game.

Tibia oddly grew somewhat popular, but only in a few specific cities.
At the rise of gaming, many internet clubs (PC bangs) here hosted Tibia alongside some other games, and PC bangs were very popular back in the day. It was (still relatively is) a poor country, and not many children had access to good internet, or an actual PC for that matter.
Even if you had a PC, it was some bottom of the barrel office PC that your parents owned and probably used for work, just enough to run MS Word.

So, they all went to PC bangs and saw other people playing and wanted to join in. In some parts of the country, it spread like wildfire.

Internet bandwidth was very limited back in the day, unless you were paying for top tier packages offered by ISPs which were not affordable for regular folk, and Tibia had that nice combination of both being lightweight, consuming low bandwidth and being an MMO, which was a relatively new genre at the time. But the most important part I'd say, was definitely the part about it being playable despite shitty hardware and shitty internet - and the fact that most of your friends probably played it - helped the word spread even faster.

A few years later, some other MMOs started popping up in the PC bangs and Tibia's quick rise in popularity started to fade. World of Warcraft, Anarchy Online, Cabal Online, TERA, etc. However, many people who still didn't have hardware good enough to run those games, resorted back to playing Tibia from their own home.

Berylia, Guardia, Valoria, and several other servers were full of Bosnians.

It was a thing of zeitgeist, you had to be there in those circumstances in the right time.

I very much doubt that Tibia gets a lot of attention these days. If I were out there today, looking for an MMO to play, you'd have much to do to convince me to give Tibia even a shot.

Last edited:
I wasnt trying to offend but I know many
I had to debug a lot of issues with OTC related to the persons computer and more often than not they had i5 processors with 2 GHZ and only 8 gb or less of ram. Some even still running windows xp.

im not saying all brs play tibia because they have crappy computers, not what im saying, what I am saying is a lot from that region play tibia and also have old lower spec computers and cannot run things that requires more ram or GPU, just as Syntax was stating. Whether this is causation to why more brs play tibia? Who knows, correlation isnt causation but it is a correlation.

Im sure a lot of brs are on low spec fortnite and other games..

Just because you dont know anyone does not mean there isnt a large population that fits the narrative.

But hey the more ppl playing old school tibia I think is awesome.. Its a great game. Its not a bad thing.
No I was not offended, on the contrary, in Brazil there are many poor places, but since tibia became a little more known people with 64mb of ram, could still choose between mu online, ragnarok etc which were also games that ran with low specifications.
Brazil is a giant you will see in all games, sometimes speaking in English ..

tibia was incredibly succesfull in chile between the years 2004- 2008 too
it spread like a disease also because by those years mostly none os us had a pc on our homes and had to go play into pc bangs etc
and if there are ppl that is still playing this game is just by nostalgia

Last edited:
The poll choices are strange btw. I assume the "others" votes are from NA, Mexico, and a few EU countries.

A lot of swedes plays Tibia too. I think it's probably the fourth largest community (after BR, PL and probably venezuelans). I never met a french playing Tibia.

Here in Brazil it's more about community engagement than computer stats. People like to chill with friends rather than the lone-wolf style that seems more common in some countries.

this is so racist

this is so racist

There have been a few people from those countries who have not claimed offense, and the statement wasn't made in any offensive or racist manner. It's just an observation of facts. Not the correlation of Tibia and low-income areas, that's my hypothesis. But the fact that those countries (I was specifically referring to Brazil) have poorer economies, especially so in certain areas of the country. Facts are not racist, and I was not targeting the people. If anyone is to blame, it's their government. In fact, I'd argue that it's more offensive to the people in Brazil to ignore the problems that exist.

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – Data released yesterday (December 15th) by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) shows that more than fifty million Brazilians, nearly 25 percent of the population, live below the poverty line, and have family incomes of R$387.07 per month – approximately US$5.50 a day.

This is Economy and Statistics. Go to school and free yourself from prejudices.
I like how many people can't take a joke anymore :(

And I was just trolling around

There have been a few people from those countries who have not claimed offense, and the statement wasn't made in any offensive or racist manner. It's just an observation of facts. Not the correlation of Tibia and low-income areas, that's my hypothesis. But the fact that those countries (I was specifically referring to Brazil) have poorer economies, especially so in certain areas of the country. Facts are not racist, and I was not targeting the people. If anyone is to blame, it's their government. In fact, I'd argue that it's more offensive to the people in Brazil to ignore the problems that exist.

I swear to god I was trolling

Back