• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Will an audio chat be possible?

fabiano marques

Reaction score
Imagining an audio icon in the game where it would be possible to release the global chat option, where all players talk, or even open an audio chat with someone from your VIP, and beyond that, an option that would leave the audio activated for those who are in the game. your screen, so finding another player with this option activated you would hear them normally like on discord or ts.
Will an audio chat be possible?

Proximity Chat in Tibia would be something...
I kind of like and hate the idea because in general the Tibia community can be quite toxic and this would add more fuel to the fire, but will also create the possibility to create connections between people.

I also imagine the problems with the toxic crowd, but just as in life there is the option to do right and wrong, the player has the option to disable the audio.

So, is it possible for us to develop something? I tried to start with AI, but I'm too new to something so complex for me at the moment
Can someone bring a little light? hahaha

It seems like a joke, but yes, you opened the question to answer this.....
Could this be the reason you have 1984 messages?
Thank you but you don't need to respond, leave it to those interested!

I kind of like and hate the idea because in general the Tibia community can be quite toxic
Feeew years ago some OTS added it into their Tibia.dll (Tibia 8.0/8.6 modification) using TeamSpeak API. It worked fine for local chat (players around - with mute option)/parties.
I tried to add it into some OTClient OTS ~2020, but TeamSpeak changed license conditions and requested $ ($$$$ dollars per month), so owner resigned.. and went Discord without 1984 messages ;) (iykwim)
(Discord API do not allow any random not logged people to talk to each other using Discord, as TeamSpeak servers did in 2020)

If you know any open source protocol with open source client-server software able to work with 1000+ connections and 1000+ channels on cheap VPS, feel free to post it's name.

If you know any open source protocol with open source client-server software able to work with 1000+ connections and 1000+ channels on cheap VPS, feel free to post it's name.
The way I would do it, is use each client as a voice node with the capability to handle being a host or client, and use a peer to peer kind of network, which would be initiated by the game server, allowing players to setup voice channels in their client easily and intuitively with other players on their game server. Figure out who has best connection and make them the host for that channel, there are many things to consider, but definitely doable.

This would keep the load off the game server, but also not require any additional machines to run it. However, one could setup multiple machines to serve as possible hosts for situations when that machine would be better than any of the potential hosts or w/e requirements you want to set. Either way, can definitely introduce load balancing pretty easily with this kind of network architecture

The way I would do it, is use each client as a voice node with the capability to handle being a host or client, and use a peer to peer kind of network, which would be initiated by the game server, allowing players to setup voice channels in their client easily and intuitively with other players on their game server. Figure out who has best connection and make them the host for that channel, there are many things to consider, but definitely doable.
IDK how sound processing went from 2020 to 2024.
For sure we do not want to process any sound on OTS (too much load on single CPU app). It must be off-loaded to some external server.

Skype did it - what you described - and sold for $8.5kkk in 2011 (P2P audio-video network).
Microsoft bought it and moved all client-side hosting/processing to server-side hosting/processing to hide IPs of users.

Add working noise reduction in Client and you got 1kkk$ company in 2024 ex. TeamSpeak.
If you got any working open source solution for this - even just for Windows - feel free to post. I would like to implement it in some OTClient/OTS.

TeamSpeak
: 6 kb/s output/input to get all players clear voice (up to 100+ on single channel, server - VPS - merge voices into single sound stream; client removes all background sounds)
Open source (often designed for 2-5 connections): XX-XXXX kb/s output/input to get all players voice with all background sounds (noise)

TeamSpeak:
full user/channel management by server
Open source: authentication? users? channels? not implemented

I must say, I never used TeamSpeak for any public OTS (only on 1-4 players test servers). With 100+ its price went to 30$+ per month and no OTS is able to pay it (why? they have free Discord!).
but I've discussed TS/other software with many OTSes and only option is TS (or Discord).

I don't know of any specific open source solution for these problems that you name, and to be honest, I have not much dabbled with networking code... I am just not letting such things stop me from at least trying to achieve a goal of mine. The fact that teamspeak and discord exist and already do such a good job at handling that kind of traffic, makes this goal a low priority of mine... and if it turns out to be, I can't get a solid voip network established, then it won't bother me too much.

When teamspeak did it, when discord did it... this was a long time ago... since then, libraries evolve, new ones, better ones come along.. stuff improves overall... so the options one has now for trying to setup a strong voip connection, are surely at our advantage. When I come back to this task in two years time because I took care of all the rest of my goals already, the options I will have at that time, will be better than what I could start with today.

All I'm saying, I'm done letting others tell me I can't do something.

Code:
"Every dream requires discipline. You are your only limit."

It seems like a joke, but yes, you opened the question to answer this.....
Could this be the reason you have 1984 messages?
Thank you but you don't need to respond, leave it to those interested!
Mate, I'm being serious. I would rather create new Discord server for my guild or call individuals/a group of people. And that's from the player perspective. If you had open mic feature then your server would need a hella more GMs to handle people screaming, throwing slurs left and right and playing music. I have played games with open mic VOIP (old days of PUBG for example), devs were forced to disable talking in lobbies. If you remove open mic and focus on calling your VIP list then seriously, how is this better than Discord?

Is VOIP in Tibia worth it? No.
Would it be fun to develop just to experience it? Yeah, sure.

Yup, having VOIP in Tibia is not worth it, other than what most other people have said, just fun to develop it.

Can't think of anything worse than Thais depot with a bunch of degenerates blasting out every TikTok background song...

Might be a hot take but, I miss the days of PUBG and CSGO having open mic on both sides during warmup. So many funny and wholesome interactions. Even mic spam and trolling would be funny at times if done properly. But of course, as with many things in life, there are people who ruin it for everyone else.

People who make the point of "just use a voice chat program" don't understand the appeal of open voice mic. Getting into discord with friends isn't the same as having an open voice chat in games. There's a unique feeling when you have random voice interaction with strangers. Granted that more often than not, most people choose to not even speak.

Anyone who plays online games know exactly how toxic open mic can be and Tibia would be no different, probably even worse. You could try to negate it by adding a mute button for individual players as well as a report function and mute punishments for offenders.

Is it worth adding to Tibia? For most people, probably not. Would it be fun to add it as an experiment to see how it does? for sure.

Very easy task. Just implement Epic Online Services and then their Voice Interface.

anyone remembers "crab game"? i kind of imagine tibia could end up just like that game, it would add depth to the game, to any ots, to any minigame, war, interaction with players.

anyone remembers "crab game"? i kind of imagine tibia could end up just like that game, it would add depth to the game, to any ots, to any minigame, war, interaction with players.
Crab game was epic. I hosted a full server for 12 hours on one day. Enjoyed every minute.

I kicked out anyone playing music, other than one guy who stayed for 6 hours, he was the designated music guy :D

But yeah....that audio in Tibia... no. xD

have an ai interpret all text-to-speech and change bad words into cute words instead

Back