• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Woot banned on Fans.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well otland is much better anyways :p I have been banned many times on ****** to ;S

Well, youre not the only one... thats for sure...
They have it like a hobby... once a member goes over 1000 posts... = ban (maybe i overdid it a bit :p)

//Massen

People, are you aware that to me, a newcomer, it looks like this is a forum visited by outcasts from ******? I am sure that you have your problems with the mods, and I will not get involved in them (I will stick to no side), however, imagine how childish you look.

Regarding GPL, and how expensive it is for Yorick to sue you: of course, you are aware that Yorick will not sue you since he's not copyright holder. Simone, Tliff and friends can sue you if they want to. But they probably will not, they will call Free Software Foundation, possibly even assign copyright to FSF, and then FSF will sue you. And oh boy, they surely have enough money to crush you like a bug...

Someone said we violated Tibia's copyright. No, we violated Tibia rules. Read the Tibia license agreement more carefully. Then read the rules. If you mess around with Tibia client, you're not allowed to play the game, nothing more. You don't actually distribute modified client. You are not breaking copyright even by playing the game. Although, if it went to court, I'm not sure what the judge would have to say about that.

I'd like to invite you, like reasonable people, to look at another side of violating GPL. Imagine that you've invested years in writing the software you want to sell. You get a lawyer to write a cool license for you, that will bring you the most money. So you start selling. (n.b. Cipsoft didn't do this.)

But some pricks start screwing around and copying your software illegally. They break paragraph 3 of your ultracool license. That makes you lose money. Because they spread it far enough, your software never sells (because people can get it for free), you never earn the money so you can sue the bastards, you don't get enough money for food that month and your child starves.

Ever been hungry?

Now, just because Tliff, Simone, mips and friends were kind enough to give you the freedom to copy, modify, etc., that doesn't mean the software isn't licensed. You have rights, but you have obligations, too! If they who wrote most software you are now distributing as binary will never earn a single dollar, and they have given you the software that you are now distributing as binary for glory and fame, isn't it fair to obey their request that you also give sources, >> like << >> they << >> gave << >> to << >> you <<?

It's like the ice cream guy gives you 50 ice creams, and tells you to share with other kids, but you instead carry them home and store them in the fridge so you and your f'kin sister can eat them all.

IT'S SELFISH.

Disclaimer: I have not followed the news, I am not sure why all of you guys (including Talaturen) gotten banned, and I'm against any kind of forum wars. It would be nice if this would grow into friendly rivalry. (I already think I'll like otland more than (old) tibiafans.)

People, are you aware that to me, a newcomer, it looks like this is a forum visited by outcasts from ******? I am sure that you have your problems with the mods, and I will not get involved in them (I will stick to no side), however, imagine how childish you look.

I wouldn't call it childish to keep ourself updated and being able to discuss OpenTibia somewhere we don't have to fear moderators who have their positions to gain respect from members by giving them infractions/banishments for minor things, or even personal things not related to the forum.

Regarding GPL, and how expensive it is for Yorick to sue you: of course, you are aware that Yorick will not sue you since he's not copyright holder. Simone, Tliff and friends can sue you if they want to. But they probably will not, they will call Free Software Foundation, possibly even assign copyright to FSF, and then FSF will sue you. And oh boy, they surely have enough money to crush you like a bug...

[...]

Now, just because Tliff, Simone, mips and friends were kind enough to give you the freedom to copy, modify, etc., that doesn't mean the software isn't licensed. You have rights, but you have obligations, too! If they who wrote most software you are now distributing as binary will never earn a single dollar, and they have given you the software that you are now distributing as binary for glory and fame, isn't it fair to obey their request that you also give sources, >> like << >> they << >> gave << >> to << >> you <<?

I'm not sure who this is directed against but I'm also against people breaking the license and I don't really see anyone here breaking it.

Disclaimer: I have not followed the news, I am not sure why all of you guys (including Talaturen) gotten banned, and I'm against any kind of forum wars. It would be nice if this would grow into friendly rivalry. (I already think I'll like otland more than (old) tibiafans.)

I doubt the forum-war will end (I have nothing against peace, but other forum seems to have), I'm not going to let the war go on here so I'm closing this thread now.

Khaos justed owned Otland.net right there.

He pwned the community, how? He made the GPL clear to people who didn't understand it and/or ignored it.

Khaos response to my post (he cannot post it because thread is closed, and it will remain closed):

Talaturen said:
I wouldn't call it childish to keep ourself updated and being able to discuss OpenTibia somewhere we don't have to fear moderators who have their positions to gain respect from members by giving them infractions/banishments for minor things, or even personal things not related to the forum.

I did not say that is what looks childish; please observe this specific thread and how it looks to a newcomer ;)
People who posted in this thread make OTL look like it's "by criminals for criminals", which may or may not be the case (I am not the one to judge that!)

Talaturen said:
I'm not sure who this is directed against but I'm also against people breaking the license and I don't really see anyone here breaking it.
Someone in this thread mentioned that people "defected" to OtLand because they broke GPL. That's how I understood it. Forgive me for being wrong ;)

Talaturen said:
I doubt the forum-war will end (I have nothing against peace, but other forum seems to have), I'm not going to let the war go on here so I'm closing this thread now.
Ditto. That's why I'd like to say openly: I am taking no sides in this war, I will participate on both forums. I may participate more on the 'Fans since I feel more at home there, but I will not discriminate 'Land for any reason. (Damn you guys, now I have to visit TWO forums xD)

Talaturen, nothing I write is directed against you or anyone else, unless I have direct proof of someone being "not to my standards"; you are not that kind of a person. (Yet :thumbup:)

Talaturen said:
He pwned the community, how? He made the GPL clear to people who didn't understand it and/or ignored it.
That is correct, I never intended to pwn 'Land or anyone. I was just responding to people who write stupid on this thread, and make 'Land look bad to newcomers.

I saw many forums that were much worse than what I saw on 'Land yesterday when I registered. Although I doubt it'll grow as popular as 'Fans, I wish it best.

Btw: to signal that you are "better than 'Fans" you may want to drop the childish "ban-the-competition's-name" thing, and serve as an example to 'Fans. You know the drill: "Smarter one lets go." Even Microsoft on its channel9 forums doesn't ban the Holy Name of Linux. Why do you have to ban 'Fans? :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back