• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows XP or Vista

justin234

Reaction score
I have recently bought a great computer.
Very nice specs for hosting my "Dedicated Server."

I am hateing vista for making my computer update 24/7 and shit,
and some things keep messing up. I've never had problems with XP.

Question 1:
Should I re-install windows? (replace vista with XP)

Question 2:
If so, how much faster/more efficent will it run?

Question 3:
Will this "switch" drastically effect me in the future?

Question 4:
Also I dont want to be "Vulnarable" to viruses if I downgrade.
Will that be a problem?
(New Programs = Vista)

Note:
I heard re-installing windows a lot can "Ruin" the CPU.
True or False?

Regards,
Justin.

Last edited:
Well I think Windows XP is better I hate Vista.

Note:
True or False?

False

Question 1:
Yes.

Question 2:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html said:
Vista: I only have 6 megabytes of free physical memory.
XP: I have approximately 1.5 gigabytes of free physical memory.

Question 3:
Nope, Vista sucks, and by the time they stop supporting XP Windows7 will be out and it should be a lot better than Vista.

Question 4:
Will that be a problem?
(New Programs = Vista)
My girlfriend's laptop (using Vista) gets more viruses than mine desktop (XP), and she only checks her email and myspace.

Note:
True or False?
False, and I would suggest defraging your HDD after installing any new OS.

I suggest XP Pro, if you have it, and you'll want to read up on downgrading from Vista since MS is gay and doesn't want anyone doing that. You could also try Ubuntu, I suggest downloading it and running the Live CD to see if it's for you.

Jo3

Question 1:
Answer: If you have the time and knowledge about computers, yes ofcourse. Un-installing Vista took a whole day for an expert on computers.

Question 2:
Answer: Well, using vista takes 1 GB from your RAM, so for an example, if you have 2GB Ram, and using Vista, then you'll have like 1GB left, which is not a good advice. But, if you have like 4GB Ram, you'll have 3left, and actually you won't feel any lags or something, cuz I haven't. But, my other computer parts are pretty good.

Question 3:
Answer Well, I don't think so really, might be what you're planning to do with the computer ^.-

Question 4:
Will that be a problem?
(New Programs = Vista)
Answer No, it won't cause any kind of viruses, as long as you use a good and safe virus program you have nothing to worry about.

Note:
True or False?
Answer Well, it could ruin the CPU of your computer if you're not uninstalling it correctly, as I've mentioned before, it demands alot of knowledge about computers, and before you're doing it.

Regards,
Justin.
[/QUOTE]

Have a nice evening, Justin.

Last edited:
@I heard re-installing windows a lot can "Ruin" the CPU.

False

try Linux ^_^

and

Hmm do like this...
Download Ubuntu Linux from Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
Then... burn on a rom then install on your pc :)

He didnt ask to install Linux/ubuntu. If he asks for a [Windows] related question, please stay ontopic. Unless he was asking "what OS do you prefer for me?". But fraid he didn't. :p

If you got any ram between 1 - 3GB, i would definitely recommend you to go for XP. A Vista computer with 1GB RAM is terrible, and with 3GB RAM you will get an very effective XP computer, especially for server hosting. If your RAM capacity goes to 4+ GB then you might want to stay to a Vista computer because it is a 64bit Operative System, while, in mostly cases, XP is 32bit. (You can only use 3.2 - 3.4GB of the RAM).

It is recommended to install XP on a separate partition, as the booting system is different, you will destroy a booting ddl file on vista computer if you already got vista and wants to install xp, so you cant boot back to vista so easily, but it is possible, and it might save your computer, just:

Take a copy of the Vista repairing disk before attempting to install XP.

This way you can safely test out XP on your computer.

If you find our you don't got the required drivers on XP to run internet, or encouter any problems, with a vista repairing disk you can easily boot back to Vista.

With XP computers, you can run special programs thats very hard to make work proper in Vista computers, for an example autorestarter for an OTserver. Once it crashes you can very easily restart the OT server automatically, which is very hard to fix in a Windows Vista computer.

Last edited:
If your RAM capacity goes to 4+ GB then you might want to stay to a Vista computer because it is a 64bit Operative System, while, in mostly cases, XP is 32bit. (You can only use 3.2 - 3.4GB of the RAM).

Theres already 64 bits XP OS like Windows Xp profesional 64 bits, I use it on my partition (In case i really need to run a program wich is only supported by winBLOW)

Here more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition#Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition

@Offtopic Try Linux

Last edited:
and

He didnt ask to install Linux/ubuntu. If he asks for a [Windows] related question, please stay ontopic. Unless he was asking "what OS do you prefer for me?". But fraid he didn't. :p

If you got any ram between 1 - 3GB, i would definitely recommend you to go for XP. A Vista computer with 1GB RAM is terrible, and with 3GB RAM you will get an very effective XP computer, especially for server hosting. If your RAM capacity goes to 4+ GB then you might want to stay to a Vista computer because it is a 64bit Operative System, while, in mostly cases, XP is 32bit. (You can only use 3.2 - 3.4GB of the RAM).

It is recommended to install XP on a separate partition, as the booting system is different, you will destroy a booting ddl file on vista computer if you already got vista and wants to install xp, so you cant boot back to vista so easily, but it is possible, and it might save your computer, just:

Take a copy of the Vista repairing disk before attempting to install XP.

This way you can safely test out XP on your computer.

If you find our you don't got the required drivers on XP to run internet, or encouter any problems, with a vista repairing disk you can easily boot back to Vista.

With XP computers, you can run special programs thats very hard to make work proper in Vista computers, for an example autorestarter for an OTserver. Once it crashes you can very easily restart the OT server automatically, which is very hard to fix in a Windows Vista computer.

There is also 64-bit XP and 32-bit Vista.
I heard that 64-bit systems are using more resources to run applications mentioned for 32-bit.

Also, I would recommend Vista, even if you have 3 gigs of ram, its more efficient. People saying that vista sux, doesnt know much about this stuff.

There is also 64-bit XP and 32-bit Vista.
I heard that 64-bit systems are using more resources to run applications mentioned for 32-bit.

Also, I would recommend Vista, even if you have 3 gigs of ram, its more efficient. People saying that vista sux, doesnt know much about this stuff.

When it comes to server hosting.

Also, I didnt say XP did not have 64bit, but mostly of them got 32bit.

Vista might have good stuff that makes it better than "XP". But NOT when it gets to OT server hosting.

4 GB's Ram.
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.4ghz
32 Bit Opperating System
Vista Home Premium
This comp. was a gift

Still, If you read this and think I need to know something more,
Please Post It! I dont want to mess up my computer...

Thanks Again For Everything.

I had "Geek Squad" come and help me out with my old computer.
I talked to them about this situation...

They said to definetly not use "Norton 360" (Uses almost 1 GB Ram to run)
Also my next computer should have Quad Core Extreme Processors and 8 GB's ram Minimum.
For the things I want to run, that is what he told me...

Any Companies Anyone Would Recommend?
For my "Next Computer"
Price is not a problem.

Last edited:
Back