• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A post-apocalyptic RPG mixed with survival!

Maxxad

Lurkin'
Reaction score
Hello fellow Otlanders!

I made this thread cuz I've had this idea about a server. I will explain it all and I'd like YOU to contribute with constructive feedback.

So, a post-apocalyptic RPG survival server, sounds messy, right? I'll explain my idea.

First of all, I'm thinking of a HUGE map for this server (already began mapping some to get some ideas out of my head).

Anyway, the server would be highly customized - The map, the vocations, the economy, sprites and what not.

So the theme for the server would be a world that has gone to shit due to a zombie apocalypse. You will start out in "The Stronghold" as I've chosen to call it now, which basicly would be the capital and the only "Town-looking" city. Other than this city it will only be a few more places where npcs are gathered, and that would be at "The camps" as I'm calling them now, small simple camps where players can be safe for the moment. In order to get more items, you will have to hunt AND scavenge the remains of the other cities (I will be mapping these cities as they've been overrun, to put it simply, chaotic).

Vocations
There would be no specific vocation to choose from the start.
You will begin as a survivor (to eliminate the vocation thinking it would say "a survivor" instead of "no vocation" when looking on a player.)
Instead of vocations, you would be able to customize your character exactly how you like it with the use of equipment with extra stats and enchantments to give yourself either abilities or skills.
You will be able to find "Spell orbs" (would probably use the soul orb sprite for these) which contains certain spells, you can choose if you want to use it (learn the spell yourself) or simply sell/trade it with another player.
So, there will be no way of knowing what kind of fighting style your opponent will have, before actually fighting him.
Also, I'm thinking about some kind of "Skill tree" where you can put out points that you will gain through levels, quests and possibly PvP.
However, you won't be a survivor forever, through your own reputation on the server (Would go - if you kill a player and + if you help a player in any way) After reaching a certain level of these reputation points in any direction (+ or -) you would become either a bandit or a hero, giving you certain abilities that I haven't quite figured that much on yet.

The economy
No gold coins, no platinum coins, no crystal coins.
The world has gone to shit, remember?

Im thinking like this - Players will be able to..or well, will HAVE to, trade with each other through items. Meaning, you trade something you don't want for something you want.
Now you might think "But..but..NPCS then?!" Well, the npcs in this server would not sell anything but pots to you (That, I will talk about later). Everything else you will have to scavenge for, or hunt for.

NPC'S
Sooo..as I said, there will actually only be a few npcs that you can buy anything from, and that would be pots. However, as I said before, no money. You won't be buying pots, you will be refilling those you already have. You will start out with a few small pots that you later can refill at specific npcs. However, you can't just go there and refill them, you will have to bring the specific items and turn them into the npc so it actually can make the potion for you. These items will be relatively easy to collect, as I can imagine pots will be needed alot.

Scavenge
This will be a HUGE part of the server. You will start out with very basic stuff, to build your character you will be needed to scavenge, do missions for npcs (that most likely will include scavenging) and hunt.
Im thinking some kind of item spawning system for each tile within scavenge areas (would be basicly everywhere except safe zones). Some items will only spawn at certain locations, such as spell orbs might only spawn in the old academy of magic (which of course will be infested with zombies and other cute creatures :D) Also, in the same area you might be able to find more empty vials to collect (Yes, you will have to collect empty vials if you want to be able to have more than the pots you start out with). Food might only be found at the butcher, the fruit stand or in old houses, for example. I think you get the idea.

Survival
Yeah, survival is what this server will be about. You must eat, you must drink, else you die. This is where scavenge once again will play a huge role. You will have to scavenge for food and water to be able to survive. Also, you will be able to get injured and infected by the zombies. Of course there will be healing spells, but there will also be medical items, such as bandages etc.

So..bring me your ideas! Keep in mind that this is in a VERY early stage, so far I'm only brainstorming and testing map ideas.

Also, if you'd like to help out in any way - feel free to do so, mapping, spriting, coding, whatever you'd like, just gimme a PM! :)

Over and out!

So, as I said, some pics from the mapping I've done so far.

The temple.
2e39v8y.png

Part of the "Temple mountain".
2h6w0v5.jpg

Another part of the "Temple mountain".
2m4al2p.jpg

The idea was to make a house for the bishop, the only npc who'll hand out some kind of blessing(s).
slnz8l.jpg

The depot, first thing I mapped for this, thinking of revamping it heavily, ain't that happy with it.
2ew1tna.jpg

Another depot pic.
b48cw4.jpg

Top floor of the depot.
2ce25v7.jpg

The Wall - Used to keep the dangers outside of the The Stronghold.
35cg6z6.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's funny how the big thing right now is "apocalyptic" games. I've also seen many tibia servers trying to do that, such as walking dead servers, resident evil, zombie servers etc..nonetheless it's still pretty fun as long as it well thought out. Good luck!

Yeah, I feel you, been an overflow with survival games last year or so, though I gotta say I like it and therefore I thought "Why not try mixing it with tibia?". Yes, you say you've seen several servers with the same theme, yet I haven't (Thou I havent been very active within the OT world for like 3 months or so).

I've already have one survival server coming which you will hear about soon. Anyway there were no good survival/zombie servers lately and I think it could have a great playerbase. You've got some good ideas btw. :)

I love post-apocalyptic games. Try to make an absolutely HUGE world with an immense amount of secrets and quests. Make an interesting PVP system, and dont go for like 2dmg/hit, even tho these kinds of servers are supposed to be lowrate, try not to make it boring.

I just don't like that custom servers never really get a huge playerbase.

And currencies shouldn't exist, only items, that would be fun.

Sounds like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. without guns, I hope your mapper is skilled.
You may add artifacts system as this one in Stalker(be careful with copyrights) and upgrades.

@Teckman - Would love to hear about that server! Regarding the ideas, once I set into something, my head spins so to say. Though, the ideas I've mentioned + more I've thought of, is always up for major or minor changes.

@Royal Inferno - I know exactly what you mean. Regarding exp rate Im thinking something like "A high lowrate/Low Midrate", 100 should be somewhat of a challenge, but as the server grows the average level might be about 150. I'm also thinking about custom exp, maybe remake the amount of exp you need per level. About PvP, I haven't really put much thought into it yet, but Im thinking about removing the skull system completely, making it possible with guild wars ofc. Im also thinking about PvP arenas where you can meet a team set up of maybe 3vs3 or 5vs5, or 10vs10. We'll see :) As mentioned in my main post, there won't be any kind of currency, it will all be about swap-trading.

@zbizu - I haven't played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. actually, I've taken inspiration from DayZ, Infestation: Survivor Stories, Path of Exile and maybe a bit of Minecraft. The mapper is me, the only one on this project right now is me. I ain't the best mapper, but I'd say Im okay/above average. Might upload some pics tomorrow, been mapping some tonight, will continue tomorrow as well.

Do any of u ever have the feelign that u wanna fuck teckman.....

i do.... i wanna swallow his cum

Nice idea, and keep it up! I am have a idea-in-code same as it. Survival project in post utopian world. So, some features - characters can drive a something like a Hover Triple Rail Tank, or some "mecha" (Wolfrine, Echelon, etc.), can build it self (engineering "craft"). Basically you character is not strong. Him can equip a EPS Suit, take a some gun, but generally for survive - you need to find a some machinery. You enemies - robots, mutated creatures, planet animals. You character need a oxygen, food, drink and some other things. (So, some machinery have a Oxygen, Water regenerators. (All machinery can be destroyed. In basic EPS Suits you have a limited oxygen amount. So, EPS suits have a some types : If that does not have a Oxygen Regenerator - them more armored, if it have - armor is very poor, and you movement speed too. And other things...)
Backstory - 9560 A.D. blahblahblah, GEC(Global Earth Confederation) send expedition ships to Creete Planet in Omicron Liraes solar system. [cuted longstory] After some years, GEC is collapsed, сolony - abandoned, and players - descendants of the colonists, in anarchy, post-utopian world where primary objective - survive.
But, that is another "dead" project from me. I am make it fully in code, but, project have a some issues, and generally problem is content... Game currently have only few test sets, 2 different weapons for test, few "monsters", 4 machinery and few "craft recipies". Placed on small map piece... So, i cant finish that game, becouse for it me need find a good team... But maybe you are more lucky then me, for create something like that or in survival genre. Goodluck to you!

PS: that idea is really good, i am thinking alot about that genre long time ago... For make it you need a team, or spend alot of time for all that game features. For me, for example, easy to make a something in code, than "create" quests texts or "create" new weapon name...that is creative work, but I, unfortunately, more techie than a creative guy...

Kind Regards!

Last edited:
Nice idea, and keep it up! I am have a idea-in-code same as it. Survival project in post utopian world. So, some features - characters can drive a something like a Hover Triple Rail Tank, or some "mecha" (Wolfrine, Echelon, etc.), can build it self (engineering "craft"). Basically you character is not strong. Him can equip a EPS Suit, take a some gun, but generally for survive - you need to find a some machinery. You enemies - robots, mutated creatures, planet animals. You character need a oxygen, food, drink and some other things. (So, some machinery have a Oxygen, Water regenerators. (All machinery can be destroyed. In basic EPS Suits you have a limited oxygen amount. So, EPS suits have a some types : If that does not have a Oxygen Regenerator - them more armored, if it have - armor is very poor, and you movement speed too. And other things...)
Backstory - 9560 A.D. blahblahblah, GEC(Global Earth Confederation) send expedition ships to Creete Planet in Omicron Liraes solar system. [cuted longstory] After some years, GEC is collapsed, сolony - abandoned, and players - descendants of the colonists, in anarchy, post-utopian world where primary objective - survive.
But, that is another "dead" project from me. I am make it fully in code, but, project have a some issues, and generally problem is content... Game currently have only few test sets, 2 different weapons for test, few "monsters", 4 machinery and few "craft recipies". Placed on small map piece... So, i cant finish that game, becouse for it me need find a good team... But maybe you are more lucky then me, for create something like that or in survival genre. Goodluck to you!

PS: that idea is really good, i am thinking alot about that genre long time ago... For make it you need a team, or spend alot of time for all that game features. For me, for example, easy to make a something in code, than "create" quests texts or "create" new weapon name...that is creative work, but I, unfortunately, more techie than a creative guy...

Kind Regards!

Your project sounds quite cool, though I'm going for a medieval style. Basicly a post-apocalyptic medieval world...with zombies!

However, I know this will take ages to make, especially if I'm going to be alone on this one (which I prolly wont be anyway). For the moment I'm only focusing on the map. Coding, spriting etc. will be taken care of later.

Regarding the progress right now - I'll upload some pics later today when I've mapped some more.

EDIT - Added some pics in the main post of the mapping I've done so far.

Last edited:
I've already have one survival server coming which you will hear about soon. Anyway there were no good survival/zombie servers lately and I think it could have a great playerbase. You've got some good ideas btw. :)

You scare me.
>.>
<.<
>.<

R.I.P. OT-Z :) My old project haha... Might have some scripts for u :D
1J7eA.jpg

@Amiroslo - That pic gave me quite a lot of inspiration for the map :D

@Damon - Hah, cool! I like the name! I'd love to hear about those scripts, depending on what you have I might be interested! Of course, you'd be getting the credits for em.

However, been mapping some more, revamping the depot and working on The Stronghold. I will be updating the pictures on the main post tomorrow or such.

Also, been thinking about a name for the server, might be a bit early though! If anyone has any idea about a fitting name - don't hesitate, gimme them names!

The movie is awesome :)

@Maxxad
I will check for the scripts when im back from holidays which is 5th september :D

Back