• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Programmer Hiring someone to make Player Map Making Interface for OTC

Sportacus

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Hello

I am looking for someone that would be willing to develop a in game map making interface for the OTC.

The details:

This interface would consist of a grid, where players would be able to colour in the squares of the graph, or place icons on a square; players would also be able to draw lines between the squares to signify walls, and be able to leave annotation marks, which will allow you to leave a detailed message.

There should also be ''pages'' of the map, allowing the player to map out multiple floors on the same map. Players should be able to name the floors individually.

Players should also have the ability, while being able to edit a map, remove any colors, icons, lines, or annotation marks.

Something similar to how the game Etrian Odyssey map system works is what I am looking for.
Here is a video of the map system from Etrian Odyssey:

However, I have no desire to include any of the auto-fill features or walk features. Just the simple system of drawing lines, colours. icons and annotations on a grid, allowing the map making system the greatest level of openness. The player is the one to make the map by his own design.

I would also need a way to make ''predrawn'' maps, that are generated with the grid filled out via scripting.

There also needs to be a feature that the map becomes ''magically locked'' and unable to be edited, even if it is as simple as using an item on the map to ''lock'' it.

Whats the point?

In some RPGs there is no mini map, allowing for another level of exploration and gameplay to take place. Players are able to actually get lost, and not be able to rely on the mini-map to save them, or act as an instant out.

Players are then rewarded for knowing a location well, and gain an advantage when fighting in locations they have memorized.

Teleportation traps, or hole traps become extremely deadly, as the player has no clue where they went.

Mazes can properly be made, including the ''forest maze' from zelda where you get turned about in a locations that seemingly look identical.

A secondary market is created for players willing to draw maps and sell them.

Also, another note is, if the game has locations that are ''randomly generated", a traditional Tibia mini-map is near useless and actually works against the player, as the locations layout changes from time to time, requiring a new map on every generation.

My server includes randomly generated locations, so I feel that players being able to make their own maps is a must.

The job:

I understand that this will take a lot of work to get up and running, so I am looking for someone willing to challenge themselves with something that hasn't been done on an OT before.

I can provide or commission for the icons needed for the map, and any additional art assets.

Anyone willing to take on this job would need to have full control of the English language, as this is a pretty in-depth system, and will probably need revisions made from the first working prototype, so communication is key.

I will be willing to pay decently to get this made.

Are you looking to let every player live edit certain areas of the map? If so just keep in mind the lag that this could cause if not for a very optimized solution.
Good luck though :)

Are you looking to let every player live edit certain areas of the map? If so just keep in mind the lag that this could cause if not for a very optimized solution.
Good luck though :)

That is not what I meant by the post.

The players won't be editing any part of the game world, but rather an item that brings up a graph paper with icons and lines they can drag or draw on to the graph... and that item is called a map.

The maps are just a picture/interface brought up when a map item is used.

Sorry for the confusion.

What I am looking for is when you use a map item, an interface that the player can edit would open, looking similar to these would appear.

map.png

EOV_03-22-16_021.jpg

And players would be able to drag drop icons onto the grid, be able to colour in squares, or draw lines on the graph paper.

This is suppose to be a replacement of the mini-map moved into items that players make themselves.

I hope that clears up some confusion.

I went a step further and made some mock ups of how it should look in the OTC

This is how opening a map should look like when you open it unedited.

BqcaAJ7.jpg

Then, after attempting to draw what I see in the game world on to my map, it would look something like this.

DDrbpgW.jpg

As you can see, I filled in the dirt road with orange, the grass with green, and the building in front of me with gray. I also drew a black line around the grey squares to signify there is a wall there. The red mark is an annotation mark where I would be a label, and it would read ''Depot'', as this building is a depot, However I could have easily just dropped an icon in the spot as well, and put an annotation above the icon.

I should have just made these mock pictures to start with, but I hope people understand the ideas better now.

Back