• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Middle-Earth

A little something I've been working on this morning!
The entrance to a dwarven ruin somewhere in Eriador ;D

Cred to heitorsb for the waterfall idea (Don't know if he came up with the idea but I got inspired by his picture :) )

bO1kIlw.png

Sidenote: Does anyone know anything about sprites with pure white getting trasnparent? In the picture, the snow on the left side looks more like bubbles because it becomes transparent. The same happens with some pixels in the waterfalls and some equipment I've used.

It's a really old idea.. And it's also kinda weird the sprites getting transparent ;o Does it happens in all levels? I mean, even when you are next to it?

Yeah it doesn't matter where I am in relation to the items, they appear transparent :O
It doesn't show in the map editor so I don't know what could be the problem.

I've heard about that problem with sprites happening to people who use that new dat/spr editor but I'm not sure if this or something in items.otb could be the reason. I'm using BlackDemon's TibiaEditor and with over 20k custom sprites I never had that problem. :|

I've heard about that problem with sprites happening to people who use that new dat/spr editor but I'm not sure if this or something in items.otb could be the reason. I'm using BlackDemon's TibiaEditor and with over 20k custom sprites I never had that problem. :|

I don't know which one I've used but thanks for letting me know! I'll try using another one and see if the problem disappears!

I remember when I followed your project back in the days. You've done an amazing job so far and I like all the maps!

Good work, keep it up :)

This reminds me of a piece I made a few months ago on Necronia, except mine had overhangs. I would remove the dwarf trees and make the shoreline not as squarish.

There is more floors of the mountains but then you wouldn't see the path I wanted to show off ;)
And the dwarven trees have a reason for being there.

No the oaks, just up and to the left of the one you posted. In the map editor they're called dwarven trees. :)

i used to follow this on otfans, but than all of a sudden it kinda died, nice to see it back !

To be honest i think this looks like a piece made by autoborder, lack of shapes, just straight lines.. But i can see you have used raw to detail...
Agree with Dark199..

This piece looks like another level compaired to your other pieces... Anyway, i like your other work :D

I've fixed some grassborders that looked too squary in the image, some of them looked a bit off, I admit...
The shoreline I won't edit because it looks good with the opposite side (just outside of frame in the old picture) :)

zZ5VdUK.png

8ia2PN7.png

And to be honest, this whole "too much autoborder, use raw" thing isn't that good in my opninon.

Take this image for example:
2krwowe.png

The exact same spot with the same details but with diffrent shoreline.
I prefer the right one, it looks much better in my eyes. I can see some places where the left one would fit, but not along every river and shore.

I'm using autoborder but in a diffrent way than most (at least I think) and mostly for mountains and to get the shape of everything the way I want it, then I go in to RAW and clean up the things I don't like. ^^

But thanks for the feedback everyone! Will try to show of some more tonight (if I get done...)

You really like the right one best? :eek: Left one would give better minimap also !
Well, its your way of mapping, not mine. Just told you my opinion :)

You really like the right one best? :eek: Left one would give better minimap also !
Well, its your way of mapping, not mine. Just told you my opinion :)
as long as you use autoborder right, the average player just wouldn't notice too much (if at all).

you have to also think in terms of efficiency, it's horribly tedious to map everything using raw for minimum results. autoborder cuts off so much time which is quite important, especially when there's one person mapping a huge project like middle-earth

I've been messing about with some sprites, what do you guys think?

do5NUTA.png

Was aiming for more of a marsh feeling than swamp, but I'm unsure...

These are an edit of my quite old swamp sprites btw.

as long as you use autoborder right, the average player just wouldn't notice too much (if at all).

you have to also think in terms of efficiency, it's horribly tedious to map everything using raw for minimum results. autoborder cuts off so much time which is quite important, especially when there's one person mapping a huge project like middle-earth

Im mapping Althea all alone also, and im using raw. But as i said, this hes way to map, not mine.. I map in raw because i dont feel it look good enough with autoborder, but thats my view of it.. You and everyone else can map the way they wont, i just said it looked autoborder because the lack of shapes.. :)

Xedrai, maybe make the swamps larger and maybe some other grounds then grass under? :)
If your suppose to walk through there, its a bit spammed..

Back