• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion More TFS Developers

BeniS

Advanced OT User
Senator
Reaction score
The Forgotten Servers Future!

I was thinking about TFS project today in comparison to another project I have seen to do with another online game and realized how much TFS would benefit if it recruited more developers. It seems that the TFS project is slowly dieing due to lack of development. I understand that it's a free project that people are doing from their spare time, but I know that there will be some people out there that would like to help develop.

If someone could put together a strict requirement list and what-not I think that TFS development would start to bloom with more devs and more progress. I love the devs at the moment but it just seems like its stian, elf(not so much lately), and occasionally I see shawak that does development for 0.4. Then there is Tala with his 0.2 series.

If we can get a new wave of developers to work on the project with the current devs it would increase the projects progress a lot :D

It is just a suggestion, but I think it would be really great for TFS project.

Regards,
Mav

It's not easy to find new developers with potential to develop The Forgotten Server further that actually has any free time, to help for free. I've recently recruited Fallen and Holix as developers for 0.2, and I'm not into recruiting more developers because I don't want to create a mess and development of 0.2 is working fine as it is.

There is no need for a new project manager to 0.4 (I assume you mean 0.3 though, because 0.4 development hasn't started) either, it's just going to create a pressure which won't help anything. It's going to be released when it's ready and if it doesn't satisfy you, go create your own server or help us address all the known issues. It's unfortunate that elf is inactive these days, but he will still be around to release the server when it's ready to be released.

That's not true. I'm not making any money from The Forgotten Server (except for people who pay me for support, but that's completely unrelated to this), and I have been keeping a distance from 0.3 since it's development started because I didn't like the changes that were being made to it. If I recall correctly, 0.3 development even started before it was possible to donate to OtLand, so no, I'm not choosing to not project manage it because OtLand is receiving more donations while 0.3.7 hasn't been released. In fact, I was the one to suggest releasing 0.3.7 back in August without talking to elf first, which appeared to be a mistake and that is why it was withdrawn.

Last edited:
0.3 is dead. Anyway, if you look at 0.2 and 0.4 it's not dead. I suggested for Tala to simply just kill off 0.3 since 0.2 more or less supports 0.3 format anyway. I have no idea when we're gonna release 0.4, but Elf had some things he wanted to implant if I recall. I'll talk some more with him in 2011.

@Teh Maverick: Boosts what? What things do you want?

0.3 is dead. Anyway, if you look at 0.2 and 0.4 it's not dead. I suggested for Tala to simply just kill off 0.3 since 0.2 more or less supports 0.3 format anyway. I have no idea when we're gonna release 0.4, but Elf had some things he wanted to implant if I recall. I'll talk some more with him in 2011.

Let's not confuse everyone, elfs plans were to release the current trunk (what people call 0.4) as 0.3.7, so unless you're against his plans we shouldn't be telling people that 0.3 is dead. I'm still working towards compatibility for both 0.3 and current trunk in 0.2, but doing it carefully to avoid any possible bugs. I also talked with elf a few days ago, and he was up for releasing the current trunk as 0.3.7 as soon as it's safe to say that there aren't any known critical bugs.

Hmm, ok, if hes up for it now then there is no issue :). What I meant is that the "0.3 branch" is dead tho.

Hmm, ok, if hes up for it now then there is no issue :). What I meant is that the "0.3 branch" is dead tho.

That is true. We should merge trunk into the 0.3 branch (or just overwrite files in 0.3 branch with files from the trunk, and replace 0.4 strings with 0.3.x?), then only fix bugs in the branch and introduce new/experimental features in trunk that's where 0.4 development will begin).

I suggest taking all of the 0.4 and just making it 0.3.7. Then starting over on 0.4 to make it use less ram, greater stability, and more compatibility with even newer and better features. By starting over, I don't mean from an empty folder...I mean refining what you have to the point of "near perfection?"

Last edited:
I guess that core devs are needed for fast protocol updates and bugfixes, but some additional people can help to implement additional features(mainly in cases when you don't have any idea what else to add)

That is true. We should merge trunk into the 0.3 branch (or just overwrite files in 0.3 branch with files from the trunk, and replace 0.4 strings with 0.3.x?), then only fix bugs in the branch and introduce new/experimental features in trunk that's where 0.4 development will begin).
go private development ! lol.

@Talaturen, yea, it is a good idea since we had some ideas about making a better map system (sectors that we can load as needed) and multithreaded scripts.

Would be sux with more developers. TFS would have more non-legit code that would lead to never ending crashes.

Me and a friend of mine tried to contact Talaturen to suggest he becoming a TFS developer. Talaturen didn't give us any answer, at least not any serious one. My friend is very experienced with C++ and he's very active to as well.
If you(talaturen), are intrested in another good developer that's extremly active, just send me a message and I will contact him ASAP. I'm on vacation now so I'm not active.

But YOU ain't good with C++. I guess it would help with a known persons good word on your friends work (what have he done? Or atleast want to do?).

I think the decisions on who becomes a developer are great decisions, because we don't want a lot of people new to C++ coding for TFS, which is coded very well, and then the good developers spending more time fixing the new guy's errors than actually working, my idea's with the whole organizational thing.
But I feel we should use this thread for any C++ Programmers that would like to join the TFS team to reveal themselves, and prove their knowledge, and if in order, maybe there will be a few new developers.
I personally have no problem with the speed TFS is being developed, but I can't imagine the stress load on the developers, which is why I feel this thread has a valid point. :p

It's not easy to find new developers with potential to develop The Forgotten Server further that actually has any free time, to help for free. I've recently recruited Fallen and Holix as developers for 0.2, and I'm not into recruiting more developers because I don't want to create a mess and development of 0.2 is working fine as it is.

There is no need for a new project manager to 0.4 (I assume you mean 0.3 though, because 0.4 development hasn't started) either, it's just going to create a pressure which won't help anything. It's going to be released when it's ready and if it doesn't satisfy you, go create your own server or help us address all the known issues. It's unfortunate that elf is inactive these days, but he will still be around to release the server when it's ready to be released.

That's not true. I'm not making any money from The Forgotten Server (except for people who pay me for support, but that's completely unrelated to this), and I have been keeping a distance from 0.3 since it's development started because I didn't like the changes that were being made to it. If I recall correctly, 0.3 development even started before it was possible to donate to OtLand, so no, I'm not choosing to not project manage it because OtLand is receiving more donations while 0.3.7 hasn't been released. In fact, I was the one to suggest releasing 0.3.7 back in August without talking to elf first, which appeared to be a mistake and that is why it was withdrawn.

Ok cool, I was hoping you would reply because I wasn't sure of a few things :) I'm not complaining at all, I hope I didn't give that impression. I love TFS project development and think you guys are doing a great job! When I know more about the otserv/tfs system and C++ (which I'm doing atm with my bachelor study) I would gladly help out! I was merely bringing up an idea for discussion :D Keep up the great work guys. Quoted your statement in the main thread for others that might be interested

I'm not complaining about what I want to see. All I am saying is that I think the project will benefit if it was able to find more dedicated developers :) the progress would be faster and possibly make for a more optimized system if done right. (not complaining about its progress! lol)

I do WHAT for 4.0??!

Not sure what you are doing for 4.0 but for 0.4 I have seen you doing some stuff :D this is based off what I've seen in the subversion <3

I guess that core devs are needed for fast protocol updates and bugfixes, but some additional people can help to implement additional features(mainly in cases when you don't have any idea what else to add)

Well there are always stabilization and optimization edits that can be made to a system.

Would be sux with more developers. TFS would have more non-legit code that would lead to never ending crashes.

Not if it's done right. Good programmers that know how to work in a team should have no problem with this.

Regards,
Mav

Last edited:
But YOU ain't good with C++. I guess it would help with a known persons good word on your friends work (what have he done? Or atleast want to do?).

He's not trying to contact Talaturen anylonger since he didn't get any serious answers from him. But if you would like to see some of hes work I guess he could show you.

Me and a friend of mine tried to contact Talaturen to suggest he becoming a TFS developer. Talaturen didn't give us any answer, at least not any serious one. My friend is very experienced with C++ and he's very active to as well.
If you(talaturen), are intrested in another good developer that's extremly active, just send me a message and I will contact him ASAP. I'm on vacation now so I'm not active.

Your "friend" is so called Dalkon, and he is my scripter for further projects. And we've been talking about that, me and dalkon. So you should not really talk for him. :)

Well, everyone is talking about stabilization and optimization, but forgot that Tibia changes with certain frequency
There are many features that TFS is missing (mainly 0.2, which is the one I use)
About 0.2, I can list some features:
black and orange skull, updated bless system (with that new pvp bless), war system, stamina, marriage, bank account

I'll try to get Talaturen's permission to post my edited TFS 0.2.9, which have almost all features above

Well, everyone is talking about stabilization and optimization, but forgot that Tibia changes with certain frequency
There are many features that TFS is missing (mainly 0.2, which is the one I use)
About 0.2, I can list some features:
black and orange skull, updated bless system (with that new pvp bless), war system, stamina, marriage, bank account

I'll try to get Talaturen's permission to post my edited TFS 0.2.9, which have almost all features above

You don't need any permission, you are free to post it as long as you include sources.

Back