• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

PyAAC. Revolution or stupidity?

sn3ejk

This account is inactive.
Solutions
Reaction score
PyAAC.
Revolution or stupidity?

The last time I was working with web development I was following the new standards, anyone knows that PHP is decrapted and we shouldn't use it - but people do not bother to change it to something new because it requires work. Today there are two frameworks being used, Django written in Python and Ruby on Rails written in Ruby, they are the best and most used frameworks available today! These two standards comes with incredible speed and reliability for web appliciations.

I personally checked the two framworks and I have to admit that both of them are really good, Ruby allows you to replace longer code with two lines because of the implemented methods, Python got similiar syntax to Ruby but it lack some features. However, Python is actually faster than Ruby.

I'm writing this thread because I've noticed a lot of glitches, holes and bugs in general in the AAC's available because of the decprated PHP. I think that it's time to change it because OpenTibia should follow the new trends, as other communities does. I want to create a brand-new AAC based on Django, I've picked this framework because it's faster than Ruby on Rails. Maybe I will migrate from Django to Ruby on Rails, when/if the standard will improve and eventually be the first choice, but for now I will use Django. I'm a somewhat busy person and I always got things on my todo list, but I can ensure you that I will do my best to finish this project ASAP. I'm currently planing the development steps of the AAC, the plan is to write the AAC for the latest trunk(which hopefully will force people into updating their clients aswell server engine, which MIGHT result in a better community!). I will try to make the AAC somewhat similar to GesiorAAC, ZnoteAAC and the rest of the AAC currently available - but my top priority will be on security, stability and speed(simply because it's how you create a good web application).

I have no decided whether I'm going to release it for free or let you pay a small fee for using it every month, though I really think that you all can pay a small amount for an AAC that will be used as your website and money source.

I'm looking forward to get constructive criticism and your opinions, please do not leave without commenting!

I'm all for new things, especially if it has more benefits in comparison to the AAC's we have available today, I call that Revolution.
You can release it for free and improve the OpenTibia community, or you can keep it yourself but show us the work that it is possible
to create a stable, fast, and secure AAC in Ruby/Python, this will help encourage members to create their own. Just don't create a subscription out of it, I call that stupidity.

Anyways, I must go, I got my last final exam in 1 hour and 30 minutes, then I'm free, free at last!

which hopefully will force people into updating their clients aswell server engine, which MIGHT result in a better community!

This just gonna happen if you don't put for sale otherwise you will encourage people to be mercenary

I know that work for free is not the point so you might release a version with some lake on features and a payed version with more features

I, as a fellow web developer, completely understand your thought process. However, I do not feel it to be accurate of you to completely disarm php as the future language of AACs. All of the AACs use outdated functionalities, yes, but that is mostly due to lack of knowledge in the more advanced areas of php. I mean, you mention Ruby on Rails as an example - Laravel is the equivalent to Ruby on Rails, but for php. Takes a lot of inspiration from Ruby on Rails and does it extremely well. I'm not saying that Laravel is superior to Ruby on Rails or the other way around, but rather that instead of having the community completely relearn the main language for websites (as far as the OpenTibia community goes), why not simply introduce a more modern way of doing things in php?

I could be wrong though, a change of language may be exactly what the community needs. Who knows? I find it rather funny though as how, the same day as I was planning on announcing the resurrection of pandaac, a discussion of whether php is the way to go or not appears. A bad token, maybe? :-(

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in developing your AAC! :)

a3Pm0gm_460s.jpg

So? same stuff with webbrowsers not getting fking css5 implented, which would take about 5 hours work down from a 7 hours work of total .

Well you got my vote for doing so.
Python with Django is IMHO the best hmm... way of self-development when it comes to webdevelopment.

I have not written for so long because I was very busy. I decided to make it available for free (but only for a premium members).
Only here's the problem because I want to use git instead of svn.

Mark just announced that svn will go down in favor of github, so your safe there. :)
(But then again it won't be just available for premium members).

I think PHP is fantastic and easy. I don't have any experience with python or ruby, or know anyone who has. (In my developer community they are clearly underdogs).

When comparing my experience with PHP versus ASP.net/C# (The Microsofts alternative) PHP goes highly in favor.

When it comes to ruby, I tried it once. I hated it. The website was slow as hell. I might have done something wrong but my experience with it is that its bothersome to set up and aweful to use.
When it comes to Python, im blank. So I'll be interested to see how it goes here, and look into participating on your PyAAC if you decide to push it to github.

I have also spent quite some time learning PHP, and I am just starting to get comfortable with the MVC Laravel framework. Which I like alot. :)

Getting some fresh air from new languages is definetly interesting, but I highly doubt PHP will go down anytime soon. And I disagree with your statement that PHP is decrapted and that we shouldn't use it. You just gotta use it correctly.

And when it comes to Znote AAC, even tho its not using a MVC framework, I find it easy to edit, I keep working on making it easier and more flexible. And I find it to be quicker than any other existing alternatives out there.
I hope im not too patriotic toward my own products.

And I disagree with your statement that PHP is decrapted and that we shouldn't use it. You just gotta use it correctly.

Or you could just use a better language and avoid jumping through hoops to get around PHP's idiotic execution model

Or you could just use a better language and avoid jumping through hoops to get around PHP's idiotic execution model
PHP's execution model is not a problem for me, so there is no reason for me to look for any solution toward it. If you can't handle it go ahead and use another language.
For those who are familiar with the way it works on PHP have no problems using it.
(And if it becomes a problem, or that I create another (new) project that has traits which are not suitable to how PHP does it, it may be worth considering alternative languages).

You should never stick to one language, learn several languages, find their strengths, and use them to your advantage.
The more languages you learn the bigger your "toolbox" becomes, you become more useful for a bigger range of jobs, and you will be able to create more language flexible solutions.
Do not get stuck in a language because of personal opinions that it is the "best". Because even if it is, it may not be in the future.

When it comes to this open tibia community, I feel that the PHP performance satisfy all demands with good margins.
The fact that there are lots of frameworks and lots of different ways to solve the same answer is great since it gives the developer alot of flexibility and freedom to experiment as much as he desire.

For instance the procedural framework Znote AAC uses, Class framework Gesior uses, MVC framework Modern uses. I love it. <3

Last edited:
You should never stick to one language, learn several languages, find their strengths, and use them to your advantage.
The more languages you learn the bigger your "toolbox" becomes, you become more useful for a bigger range of jobs, and you will be able to create more language flexible solutions.
Do not get stuck in a language because of personal opinions that it is the "best". Because even if it is, it may not be in the future.

I'm not telling you to "stick to one language" or presenting some "personal opinions" about PHP. It's a fact: PHP was never designed for the sort of complex dynamic sites like this forum, Facebook, an AAC, or just about anything else you use on the internet today. It was meant for embedding small dynamic content like visitor counters, etc. into otherwise static pages and was made in a completely different age of web sites.

Just about any other modern web development option from Python, Ruby, Scala, Go, Node.js, Java, ASP.NET (MVC) and so on has a much better design for web applications than PHP will ever have. Not only are modern PHP frameworks hacked together on top of a glorified templating engine, they are based on a programming language that is just a total mess in general. It's more than time to switch and there are a million good options.

I'm not telling you to "stick to one language" or presenting some "personal opinions" about PHP. It's a fact: PHP was never designed for the sort of complex dynamic sites like this forum, Facebook, an AAC, or just about anything else you use on the internet today. It was meant for embedding small dynamic content like visitor counters, etc. into otherwise static pages and was made in a completely different age of web sites.

Just about any other modern web development option from Python, Ruby, Scala, Go, Node.js, Java, ASP.NET (MVC) and so on has a much better design for web applications than PHP will ever have. Not only are modern PHP frameworks hacked together on top of a glorified templating engine, they are based on a programming language that is just a total mess in general. It's more than time to switch and there are a million good options.

And the best forum solutions today are made in PHP. Funny. :) <sarcasm>What a useless language PHP is.</sarcasm> ^.^

Anyway I will stop posting here now, no need to take this any further. (Quoting Chris's previous post).

Back