• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Scientists can now reverse ageing in mice.

Sportacus

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25445748

http://health.msn.co.nz/healthnews/8777129/scientists-can-now-reverse-ageing

It must be noted that reversing aging doesn't necessary mean that you live longer (ie, increasing age at death).

It just means that the subject appears to be 'youthful' (more energetic, resistance to muscle wasting and illnesses, etc etc).

The reason I post this here is, that I am having trouble finding out more information on the studies involved with using nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) on mice.

The actual question here is.. Did the mice that were given the drug actually live longer?

Was the study even done long enough to see the whole course of the life of the mice tested?

How many mice were tested, and how long did they live till they actually died?

It is one thing for them to be more energetic, muscular, etc etc,. but it is another for them to have actually -lived- longer, on average, compared to mice that weren't given nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide.

Even if that is not the case(the mice living longer), their discovery is amazing, but I think there is a lot of all jumping to conclusions... the lack of data given about how long the treated mice lived vs regular mice kinda concludes to me that either they didn't run tests long enough to get this information, or the difference in length of life (age at death) wasn't sufficient enough to mention.. or just plainly not in their favor.

But hey, even if it doesn't help you live longer.. who doesn't want to be more energetic and healthy? Still a good find, and is worth doing more resource for.

I'd love to hear peoples comments

I hope this will not let us live longer or forever.
We already have overpopulation, imagine if we would be able to live longer...
Also, it can have some bad things about it, for example the dicator of north korea, imagine if he would live for a long time, heh.
Only this type of things should be given to sciencists. They are the reason we develop, and all that, and once we would be able to live in other planets, then this should be given to everyone.
For example, imagine if someone like Albert Einstein would be still alive, how many new discoveries would have been found?

Also, it can have some bad things about it, for example the dicator of north korea, imagine if he would live for a long time, heh.
overpopulation? get out of town, and tell me where is this "overpopulation"
it's just stereotype

overpopulation? get out of town, and tell me where is this "overpopulation"
it's just stereotype
World_population_%28UN%29.svg

Population growth (in millions of people) from 1950 to 2050.
---------------------
World_energy_consumption%2C_1970-2025%2C_EIA.png

World energy consumption & predictions, 1970–2025.

-------------------------
Food_production_per_capita_1961-2005.png

Growth in food production has been greater than population growth. Food per person increased during the 1961–2005 period.

''''Overpopulation is not a stereotype.
''''Also, humans suck, we deserve to die, we fuck everything we touch and we know it.

It won't, there are still other things that would make us die (like telomerase which breaks down the DNA), this being only one of the many things that eventually kills us.

Only this type of things should be given to sciencists. They are the reason we develop, and all that, and once we would be able to live in other planets, then this should be given to everyone.
For example, imagine if someone like Albert Einstein would be still alive, how many new discoveries would have been found?

This is just against all human rights, and is just discrimination. if such a cure is out there it should be available to all imo.

But this "big find" is just typically something the media jumps on. It will be ages before human trials can begin and its not even sure it will work on humans.

@Sportacus, i believe the mice didnt live longer but i'll read the scientific article when i get some spare time. if you are interested in reading it also pm me and i'll send it to you.(not sure i can get my hands on it either but being a biology major at the university i just might)

Why you call this proccess 'reverse'?
Even if it lets someone live longer it's slowing, not reversing the aging proccess.

Back
Top Bottom