• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Social Interactions ideas

Casual features in MMO

• With it.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Against it.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • A bit of this, a bit of that.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Karain

Jack of all trades
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello, it's me again, lately I've been examining the gaming trends, specially in MMO's and i saw a grim future (to my tastes).

Casualising

games are getting more and more dumb'd down to expand their target market for the younger generations and new players, by having new features that makes the game easier (by easier i mean having chunks of content skipped), turning down other features that adds complexity into the game just because they fear the players "might not get it".

and so, i see MMO's becoming more and more casual, slowly turning it into a single player game with a hint of COOP in it. in short, the social interactivity between the players themselves is fading out from the scene.

a big example of this is World of Warcraft's infamous "looking for group" system, before it, player needed to interact with other players to form a group and then travel together to reach their instance, but now, you do it alone with a click of a button, get into the instance, loot what u need and bail out without even having to talk to anybody.

this might be a rant thread, but i hate to see MMO's turning into different versions of Guild Wars.

What is your take? are you for or against casualising games?

I hate it & I hate the topic.
It runs to deep & incomposes way to much, it's not just casulization(Which is only removing complexity & features to make it accessible), but making games easier in general, giving mobs more health but less damage- leading to artificial difficulty, it also has to do with "instant gratification", buying "donation" items now in most OTs is a perfect example of it, you pay for instant gratification, because you no longer have to work to gain anything & it pisses me off that people enjoy that shit.

That said, casualization isn't always a bad thing, it can be good at times, Quake Live I personally think is a good example, they've made the defualt game mode have timers on loot spawns & jumping around is as easy as holding down the space, I personally think it's a good thing & as long as it is never put in competative play & is activated purely to make the game accessible I don't see the problem.. It always goes to far though.

It's also not in MMOs, I think it's been years since I've played a decent game, all my games are either old 4x games, or indie titles...

I hate it & I hate the topic.
It runs to deep & incomposes way to much, it's not just casulization(Which is only removing complexity & features to make it accessible), but making games easier in general, giving mobs more health but less damage- leading to artificial difficulty, it also has to do with "instant gratification", buying "donation" items now in most OTs is a perfect example of it, you pay for instant gratification, because you no longer have to work to gain anything & it pisses me off that people enjoy that shit.

That said, casualization isn't always a bad thing, it can be good at times, Quake Live I personally think is a good example, they've made the defualt game mode have timers on loot spawns & jumping around is as easy as holding down the space, I personally think it's a good thing & as long as it is never put in competative play & is activated purely to make the game accessible I don't see the problem.. It always goes to far though.

It's also not in MMOs, I think it's been years since I've played a decent game, all my games are either old 4x games, or indie titles...

well, quake live did a weird thing with loadouts, you can instantly start with a rocket launcher which is very weird to me.

On another note, which feature/mechanic would you like to see added/removed from tibia to add on it's complexity, specially one that would make players interact with each other more and thus making friends and enemies?

well, quake live did a weird thing with loadouts, you can instantly start with a rocket launcher which is very weird to me.

On another note, which feature/mechanic would you like to see added/removed from tibia to add on it's complexity, specially one that would make players interact with each other more and thus making friends and enemies?

I agree with the loadouts, like I said, it always ends up going to far, the loadsouts shouldn't have been put in, but at the same time as long as it doesn't effect all servers & competative play it shouldn't really be a huge issue, but it does give new players the wrong impression.

Honestly, the aiming mechanic implemented back in, shops not selling runes.
I'm not sure if you played back then, but people were so much more interactive & I think that was a huge part of why, or maybe not but that's what it felt like.
Granted bots did have a huge effect on destroying what tibia was, but I think if they focused more on Anti-cheat measures back then, it may have turned out different, but who actually knows, it could have been a disaster also, I just don't see how dumbing down their game, helped them in the long run.

Tibia was a niche game to begin with, it was never marketed towards everyone (Or at least I wouldn't have thought so by their mechanics), they are now gradually making it more accessible to everyone by taking out features that made Tibia, Tibia.
I think they should have stuck to that, being unique is what would have set the game apart & kept it going, but they wanted to make it like every other MMO.

I agree with the loadouts, like I said, it always ends up going to far, the loadsouts shouldn't have been put in, but at the same time as long as it doesn't effect all servers & competative play it shouldn't really be a huge issue, but it does give new players the wrong impression.

Honestly, the aiming mechanic implemented back in, shops not selling runes.
I'm not sure if you played back then, but people were so much more interactive & I think that was a huge part of why, or maybe not but that's what it felt like.
Granted bots did have a huge effect on destroying what tibia was, but I think if they focused more on Anti-cheat measures back then, it may have turned out different, but who actually knows, it could have been a disaster also, I just don't see how dumbing down their game, helped them in the long run.

Tibia was a niche game to begin with, it was never marketed towards everyone (Or at least I wouldn't have thought so by their mechanics), they are now gradually making it more accessible to everyone by taking out features that made Tibia, Tibia.
I think they should have stuck to that, being unique is what would have set the game apart & kept it going, but they wanted to make it like every other MMO.

personally i'd add back the NPC queue's, to make players spread over the other "lesser known" shops for example, the new npc system made it pretty much pointless to have more than 1 npc for each kind of shop/quest/etc . plus, it was one of many things that made tibia what it was XD. (having fond memories of those trolling days)

Back