• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tutorial for paint users!

GhostX

Mapping Board Moderator
Staff member
Board Moderator
Reaction score
Twitch
ghostxpr0
Most spriters use photoshop but start with paint. (also the pictures in this tutorial may be small but if you copy them into paint and zoom in x8 then you'll see better, with pixels etc. Since the sprites are 32x32 for objects such as equipment anyway)

Therefore i'd like to welcome you all to my spriting turorial for paint users!

If you're reading this, then you are 1 of 3 people.

1.) You know little or nothing about spriting and are interested in learning it!
2.) Are an experienced spriter and here to flame, rage or appreciate
3.) Bored!

If that is not you, then.. Well.. You are number 4. Everyone else :)

Okay, so let's get to the basics..

Open paint (duh!)
Click image -> Attributes and change to pixels and 32x32. This now sets the scale for tibia's "squares"

Good!

Now let's discuss outlines..

Outlines are the shape (duh) of the sprite and are needed to avoid a "blur" effect at the edges.
Generally speaking, for items; You most likely need to do a symetrical shape (excluding some occassions)

Here are some templates you can use, to start you off and follow this tutorial:

bootso.png
swordz.png
armor1s.png
shieldki.png
helmet1.png

Now in this tutorial i'm only going to cover the plate. The rest follow the same procedure so repeating for each item is unnecessary..

After you have an outline (or using the outline template i gave you) we now need to colour it!

There are a number of do's and do not'saround colouring! So i'll breifly go over them.

1.) Never use a bright/bold colour, if requiring a bright "look" use it's more pale shade.
2.) Never use all dark colours. It will blend with the outline and look horrible.
3.) Try not to put the same colour more than 3 times consecutively.. So next to eachother!
4.) Avoid "inversed" colours such when you invert colours on a camera etc

Also here is a colour table to help you know the rough colours you can use (this is just a guide, there are other colours but these are good enough to start you off)

colourwall.png

You may notice the gap between some colours. That is because those missing are too bright/bold for spriting. Some colours become brighter/bolder faster than others.

Remember! The key element of spriting is illusions! You make the sprite appear it is something it is not.. E.g. 3d, enchanted, etc.

So, let's begin Stage 1:
Using the very bottom colours on the colour chart, fill in the odd pixels in areas of shade.
armor2.png

Then Stage 2: Begin moving up the colour ladder :)
armor3p.png

Now, let's apply a little more colour:
It is now starting to build up!
armor4.png

And keep going
armor5.png

etc:
armor6.png

Looking better now!

Now start using the brighter colours, but not the pale ones, just yet
armor7l.png

And continue with colouring
armor8.png

And fill the rest in and touch up any uncertainties!

armorfinished.png

And voila, your very first plate armor, sprited in paint!

Well done :)

Any questions etc, i will be happy to help

Regards,
Ghost

Last edited:
Nice one, I hope people will give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump

Yh, it'll be nice to have a lot more spriters here :)

New spriters:
Once you get familiar with paint, you can should start to use paint.net or PS pro :)

Last edited:
Back