• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

8.60 - 8.62 Vs. New Protocols, a popularity discussion.

Which protocol do you prefer?

• Old Ones

• New Ones

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lundrial

lundrial:getTitle()
Reaction score
Over the years the iconic 8.60 - 8.62 has been the predominant protocol for otservers and probably the most played one even today.

latest

why do you guys think people prefer it? compared to the far more advanced 10+ protocols that bring a lot of new features to the table and are even easier to code for?​

@AngeLOT Why 10.x for custom servers? It's much easier to make something polished and coherent with an old version that aren't that complicated.

@thread
Simplicity, mainly. My favorite versions are 7.81-8.00, these feel the most "Tibia" to me, then the game went into a weird direction where CipSoft just started building new shit on top of the old one, instead of fixing the underlying problems and making the core gameplay better.

I cant answer your question at all bcus I have no idea what kind of ot u gonna create..

but if you open a highexp ot ( 999x EXP or something like that ) then go for 8.60
if you go for a low rate server ( 10x EXP or something ) then go for 10.x

but if you open a highexp ot ( 999x EXP or something like that ) then go for 8.60

I don't need help with my server, I just said why I think that custom servers shouldn't be based on 10.x. Why does a custom server need to be 10.x?

I don't need help with my server, I just said why I think that custom servers shouldn't be based on 10.x. Why does a custom server need to be 10.x?

We live in 2018. do u really think u could create a good server at 8.60 ? :O

We live in 2018. do u really think u could create a good server at 8.60 ? :O

Even older, yes, that's why I'm asking. Maybe we'll go back to the definitions: When you say custom, do you mean "Tibia with a different map" or "different game with Tibia as base"?

I mean with custom ots like ARCHLight.

Archlight would not be there if they used just the standart 8.60 client, im sure :D

I cant answer your question at all bcus I have no idea what kind of ot u gonna create..

This is not a post to find a suitable version for an otserver, It was just to discuss the popularities between the two and why people choose them

people prefer it because 8.6 just happened to be the version most people created servers with back in the day because that was the supported protocol for the server engines
it's still popular because a lot of people are too lazy to learn the newer clients, newer engine, newer and better scripting style
it's also probably because tibia isn't the same as it used to be and people play for the older graphics and nostalgia (also the reason why 7.x ots are popular too)
i'd think 10.x is popular with people who do like the changes cip made to tibia and some people like the newer graphics and animations, new items, spell effects which leaves a lot of room for customization

Back