• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A Long Overdue Post.

2wayMirror

Reaction score
Hello. I'v lurked these forums for some time now. But as far as I know, I have never posted. So first I'd like to explain a bit about myself and my experiences before getting to the point.

I'v been playing OTS for over a decade and have had some amazing experiences on some servers. However, the first server I ever played is still the greatest tibia game-play I'v ever had. In fact I still remember it's IP-jjrpg.servegame.com.

Now days I only play 8.6 client. I search for new server's as they appear, try them out and decide to play or not. But it's just so rare to find a decent server these days. They always have such fundamental problems that disgust me so much I find them unplayable. Problems which I think will cripple a server and ensure it will never achieve a sustained long term community. Such as having an exp rate which lets you reach endgame and exp grind on the 'bosses' of the server resulting in bored players. Unbalanced vocations, spells and items. The fault is clearly on the owners however. It's a culture of setting up an unbalanced server, letting players join, offering pay to win through donations, then going offline after a few weeks and repeating.

The owners who set these servers up simply don't understand that they completely under-mind the majority of a servers content with these balancing issues. Or they simply don't care. Ignorance is bliss.

And so I'm sick of these reoccurring problems. Owners who you'd imagine haven't played more than a week of tibia. Who can't control their own bias. Gamemasters, who don't even know their own commands, out numbering players.

I want a server which is made for the players, and not for the antics of owners and his close friends. And so awhile ago now, I decided I would use my experience as a player, to try and create a server in which players would enjoy every moment they spend on it, for as long as they would play, regardless of how they would like to play.

With the main problem I find on OTS at the moment being due to how easy it is for inexperienced/unknowledgeable players to become admins. And I find myself frustrated and feeling defeated as to why I, unlike them, cannot successfully start a server to achieve my goals.

I'm looking for a few people who are active on here, who I can communicate to quickly, who could assist me in setting up an 8.6 server.

I can't script, but I have seen a fair amount of it and can learn. However I don't plan to do much scripting, if any at all. I think there's enough content on any server, thanks to those who put the effort into creating it, to make it successful.

I can balance game features amazingly. I work with the formulas, so there is no trial and error, there is balance (where applicable anyway). This is the most important thing. Balancing exp, spells, vocations, items, monsters with each other is what makes or breaks a server. And I think this can be done with a bit of time, thought and number tweaking. Custom content and scripts beyond what is already present isn't necessary.

I have depth and continuity in my idea's and themes for a server. I think keeping goals, challenges and rewards for effort and excellence are crucial for players. Such that every moment you spend on the server has a purpose.

The approach I have taken so far, and failed, in setting up a server is as follows:
1] I download 8.60 distributions.
2] I try to follow this guide as well as I can http://otland.net/threads/your-first-open-tibia-server.140934/
3] I have not been able to set up a database. XAMMP always has an error when I attempt to import a file for a database.
4] The files I have in the distributions I get are always different to what is covered in the guide.

The greatest thing anyone could do for me, is for an experienced hoster to allow me to talk to them and ask them questions (through private message's or other communicate programs) and work through the whole process (except for port forwarding and scripting) with me of setting up an 8.6 server that I can work on offline. So that I can have a chance to turn my idea's into something.

If you are interested to help me, leave a message and I may contact you. Or you can contact me.
Thank you very much.

Always nice with new ideas.
Me myself, have been playing Tibia since 7.6 - created my own server with help from my brother at the age of 9.
What it was to do back then wasn't that much, I downloaded a distrobution and a map (Illusions and edited it with map editor).
However, the problem was that I didn't know anything about scripting. Scripting can be really important to solve bugs and create your own ideas into your server. My brother didn't know that much, so I just downloaded an E-book. The problem was that I was reading a e-book that was in PAWN and not LUA, didnt notice that before later.
But I really started to get into scripting. I started to understand how to use LUA, and thanks to otland and otfans - I learned basic functions and have advanced my knowledge. If I ever have an idea, I will always get it done, no matter what.

Sir, scripting is something necessary and I suggest you learn some things about LUA, it may be important in the future.

And yes indeed, as of today - there's not many good servers. No servers are unique. Well actually, there are SOME good servers out there but they're few.
The other servers are managed by an unprofessionals, they may have a server with 100+ players, but it will only last for a while. Because their community will never expand. It will never become a real community.

We all have our plans of creating that perfect server (obviously).
What is a perfect server though? is it that one with super high EXP and alot of teleports to quests / spawns.
Or that low rated RPG server?
What if that super high EXP server is better scripted than the low rated RPG server? well, then it will obviously be the better one, because it have more features.
What if that low rated RPG Server have unique scripts that really focuses on the gameplay and vocations? - it will grow slowly, basically become bigger than that super high exp server.
Super EXP servers are fun indeed, they become boring through time.
RPG Servers with a decent scripter and mapper to are always fun to play on, why?
because there's those hidden features within the OT.

Anyhow,
follow this tutorial instead. XAMPP is so 2013. XD.
http://otland.net/threads/video-tut...e-and-shop-system.166818/page-13#post-2079481

Me myself, have been playing Tibia since 7.6 - created my own server with help from my brother at the age of 9.
What it was to do back then wasn't that much, I downloaded a distrobution and a map (Illusions and edited it with map editor).
However, the problem was that I didn't know anything about scripting. Scripting can be really important to solve bugs and create your own ideas into your server. My brother didn't know that much, so I just downloaded an E-book. The problem was that I was reading a e-book that was in PAWN and not LUA, didnt notice that before later.
But I really started to get into scripting. I started to understand how to use LUA, and thanks to otland and otfans - I learned basic functions and have advanced my knowledge. If I ever have an idea, I will always get it done, no matter what.

Sir, scripting is something necessary and I suggest you learn some things about LUA, it may be important in the future.

And yes indeed, as of today - there's not many good servers. No servers are unique. Well actually, there are SOME good servers out there but they're few.
The other servers are managed by an unprofessionals, they may have a server with 100+ players, but it will only last for a while. Because their community will never expand. It will never become a real community.

What is a perfect server though? is it that one with super high EXP and alot of teleports to quests / spawns.
What if that super high EXP server is better scripted than the low rated RPG server? well, then it will obviously be the better one, because it have more features.
What if that low rated RPG Server have unique scripts that really focuses on the gameplay and vocations? - it will grow slowly, basically become bigger than that super high exp server.
RPG Servers with a decent scripter and mapper to are always fun to play on, why?

Anyhow,
http://otland.net/threads/video-tut...e-and-shop-system.166818/page-13#post-2079481

If you still need help, you may PM me - I could help you with pretty much.

Hello. I'v lurked these forums for some time now. But as far as I know, I have never posted. So first I'd like to explain a bit about myself and my experiences before getting to the point.

I'v been playing OTS for over a decade and have had some amazing experiences on some servers. However, the first server I ever played is still the greatest tibia game-play I'v ever had. In fact I still remember it's IP-jjrpg.servegame.com.

Now days I only play 8.6 client. I search for new server's as they appear, try them out and decide to play or not. But it's just so rare to find a decent server these days. They always have such fundamental problems that disgust me so much I find them unplayable. Problems which I think will cripple a server and ensure it will never achieve a sustained long term community. Such as having an exp rate which lets you reach endgame and exp grind on the 'bosses' of the server resulting in bored players. Unbalanced vocations, spells and items. The fault is clearly on the owners however. It's a culture of setting up an unbalanced server, letting players join, offering pay to win through donations, then going offline after a few weeks and repeating.

The owners who set these servers up simply don't understand that they completely under-mind the majority of a servers content with these balancing issues. Or they simply don't care. Ignorance is bliss.

And so I'm sick of these reoccurring problems. Owners who you'd imagine haven't played more than a week of tibia. Who can't control their own bias. Gamemasters, who don't even know their own commands, out numbering players.

I want a server which is made for the players, and not for the antics of owners and his close friends. And so awhile ago now, I decided I would use my experience as a player, to try and create a server in which players would enjoy every moment they spend on it, for as long as they would play, regardless of how they would like to play.

With the main problem I find on OTS at the moment being due to how easy it is for inexperienced/unknowledgeable players to become admins. And I find myself frustrated and feeling defeated as to why I, unlike them, cannot successfully start a server to achieve my goals.

I'm looking for a few people who are active on here, who I can communicate to quickly, who could assist me in setting up an 8.6 server.

I can't script, but I have seen a fair amount of it and can learn. However I don't plan to do much scripting, if any at all. I think there's enough content on any server, thanks to those who put the effort into creating it, to make it successful.

I can balance game features amazingly. I work with the formulas, so there is no trial and error, there is balance (where applicable anyway). This is the most important thing. Balancing exp, spells, vocations, items, monsters with each other is what makes or breaks a server. And I think this can be done with a bit of time, thought and number tweaking. Custom content and scripts beyond what is already present isn't necessary.

I have depth and continuity in my idea's and themes for a server. I think keeping goals, challenges and rewards for effort and excellence are crucial for players. Such that every moment you spend on the server has a purpose.

The approach I have taken so far, and failed, in setting up a server is as follows:
1] I download 8.60 distributions.
2] I try to follow this guide as well as I can http://otland.net/threads/your-first-open-tibia-server.140934/
3] I have not been able to set up a database. XAMMP always has an error when I attempt to import a file for a database.
4] The files I have in the distributions I get are always different to what is covered in the guide.

The greatest thing anyone could do for me, is for an experienced hoster to allow me to talk to them and ask them questions (through private message's or other communicate programs) and work through the whole process (except for port forwarding and scripting) with me of setting up an 8.6 server that I can work on offline. So that I can have a chance to turn my idea's into something.

If you are interested to help me, leave a message and I may contact you. Or you can contact me.
Thank you very much.
have fun balancing the server and implementing these awesome gameplay features when 90% of your players would be bots. as such an 'omg i'm so experienced' player how do you not know that the only reason people play 8.6 is to bot? perhaps you want to bot urself ^.^

Well thats how ots are today most are just download and run servers, download your data pack and follow znotes tutorial on how to set it up. Within an hour you can have your server from a freshly installed computer to sever on every forum and otservlist.
Mostly I think its alot atleast now is printers data pack, makes it even easier to just download and run and at the same time he says its "good for the community", bullshit if you ask me. You should never release a good project, let them work for what they get, its enough that we can download homepage systems like gesior and znote and at the same time get free access to the best engine, tfs for free.

And one thing ive noticed is with what you wrote about ot owners not fixing bugs etc, thats mainly either since they don't wanna spend money, they feel they can do it by themself or hire someone who dosen't know what they actually are doing.
What I can say is that ive repaird alot of servers to users on this forum due to that scripters that says they know what they are doing actually dosen't. And the main reason they pick that user is due to that they are cheaper then those who have the experience.

There are plenty of users ive seen done alot of mistakes, knowing about it and not telling the "buyer".
One of them is Don and his "service", you ask him to change your tfs rev all he does is change your .exe file.

To my point, if users started putting out money just like most of us had to when we started (if we wanted good ots) we would have better ots server. There aren't many but there are good scripters on this forum and good programmers.
But they don't wanna hire ex. Gesior to script for them due to that he costs 50% more then user X who started programming 1-2 years ago.
And also trust me, they might bring good stuff to this community like c++ skills, JAVA skills, linux skills etc, but that dosen't make it acceptable for them to charge for things they have no ide of what they are doing.
Thats also a reason why I never accept a task or charge for a task if I don't really know what im doing, atleast I make sure it works to 100% before selling it.
So if you are gonna hire someone do the same as you would with a doctor, don't take the cheapest go with experience insted.

And im one of those who probbly charge the most, but you also get the money "back" for it and alot of my customers can vouch for that. And when I started I had to pay aswell both to learn and to make it work.
And the person I have bought services from the most is Gesior and Sn3jk once to set up a linux server. Sure I could have gone with someone alot cheaper but I woulden't have to pay that guy first and then the next one to fix his/her's mistakt(s)...

504110c4faa0859eff45e1580ff182e15536d4bd2e09809d6e69d8471cdd9836.jpg

Thanks to those who had something worth-while to say, other than "too long". How pathetic people are never ceases to amaze!

Just for future reference, you should assume people don't give a shit if a post is too long for you or if you don't want to read it. Just don't read it. That wasn't so hard, was it?

have fun balancing the server and implementing these awesome gameplay features when 90% of your players would be bots. as such an 'omg i'm so experienced' player how do you not know that the only reason people play 8.6 is to bot? perhaps you want to bot urself ^.^

Thank's, I'll try it.

Anyhow,
VIDEO TUTORIAL: From nothing to a fully working OT server, website and shop system (http://otland.net/threads/video-tutorial-from-nothing-to-a-fully-working-ot-server-website-and-shop-system.166818/page-13#post-2079481)

Cheers man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back