• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A Server Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayview

Banned User
Solutions
Reaction score
Off Topic

Things I am lacking are people who live up to their word, I have had numerous people approach me with the notion of working with me on this project yet NOT one of them has followed through on their word. It is extremely disconcerting that every person I seem to meet on this forum lacks the ability to make good on their promise and I am not even asking much of these people.

What I have learned in my lifetime is even if you have nothing, money, skills, intelligence, at least have your word because your word means absolutely everything, honesty is the most important thing you can offer someone, I cannot express that enough.

@Okke, @Aled, @Tarek1337, @Tinkz, and anyone else I don't remember speaking with thanks for wasting my time... Mission Complete!
And enjoy the tutorials, utility scripts etc.. I made them for you.. and @Okke I hope you do enjoy my sources because it is the last thing you will be getting from me.

I guess you can't trust or rely on anyone these days... I am very frustrated with these people...

On Topic
Well after much consideration, I am still a little uncertain the direction I want to take with this project. I have built numerous systems both in the sources and in scripts to build this game server.. I have made thousands of sprites from existing sprites (mainly equipment) that I have yet to add to the client.

I put the project aside for a short time and am having a real hard time finding the will to start working on it again, maybe because I am just sick of looking at it or maybe I am just tired of dealing with disappointment.

Originally I wanted to make a clone of an existing server that I played for quite some time because I thought it could be better, but then I started incorporating other ideas and got lost in the direction of the server because now I have conflicting systems in place where some could or do make others irrelevant.

If anyone would like to join me on this project even just as a collaborator I would be eternally grateful. If not I will just shelf this project and find something more productive and positive to do with my time.

Last edited:
Off Topic

Things I am lacking are people who live up to their word, I have had numerous people approach me with the notion of working with me on this project yet NOT one of them has followed through on their word. It is extremely disconcerting that every person I seem to meet on this forum lacks the ability to make good on their promise and I am not even asking much of these people.

What I have learned in my lifetime is even if you have nothing, money, skills, intelligence, at least have your word because your word means absolutely everything, honesty is the most important thing you can offer someone, I cannot express that enough.

@Okke, @Aled, @Tarek1337, @Tinkz, and anyone else I don't remember speaking with thanks for wasting my time... Mission Complete!
And enjoy the tutorials, utility scripts etc.. I made them for you.. and @Okke I hope you do enjoy my sources because it is the last thing you will be getting from me.

I guess you can't trust or rely on anyone these days... I am very frustrated with these people...

On Topic
Well after much consideration, I am still a little uncertain the direction I want to take with this project. I have built numerous systems both in the sources and in scripts to build this game server.. I have made thousands of sprites from existing sprites (mainly equipment) that I have yet to add to the client.

I put the project aside for a short time and am having a real hard time finding the will to start working on it again, maybe because I am just sick of looking at it or maybe I am just tired of dealing with disappointment.

Originally I wanted to make a clone of an existing server that I played for quite some time because I thought it could be better, but then I started incorporating other ideas and got lost in the direction of the server because now I have conflicting systems in place where some could or do make others irrelevant.

If anyone would like to join me on this project even just as a collaborator I would be eternally grateful. If not I will just shelf this project and find something more productive and positive to do with my time.

I feel ya. Tried to collect a team or at least a few developers (mappers/scripters/spriters) many years ago.
Most of them do not produce at all(even if they have the same idea as you).. or has way too less influence in the project(money involved or not(as in paid task or % of ot profit)). Back in the days i remember many awesome projects were in development but never got finished anyway.

So i decided to work solo, took me many years(about 7 years, could be done in 3 years, let alone if split by 3 people or more, let alone the "otland ot server project") but with a good team you could progress very fast. But it is what it is(i can understand that it takes dedicaton/commitment to create a big project at all and that many won't finish it or doesn't make their promises).

If you like to script/map then do it whenever you feel it.. Don't force it. Develop whenever you are in the mood and put all your work together.
If you make content would be waste not to use it for your project (unless the quality of content is too bad with your current skills, some work of mine i do not use either, but like 90%+ are or got a slight revamp)

Anyway wish you good luck with your project.

Reactions: e.e
I feel ya. Tried to collect a team or at least a few developers (mappers/scripters/spriters) many years ago.
Most of them do not produce at all(even if they have the same idea as you).. or has way too less influence in the project(money involved or not(as in paid task or % of ot profit)). Back in the days i remember many awesome projects were in development but never got finished anyway.

So i decided to work solo, took me many years(about 7 years, could be done in 3 years, let alone if split by 3 people or more, let alone the "otland ot server project") but with a good team you could progress very fast. But it is what it is(i can understand that it takes dedicaton/commitment to create a big project at all and that many won't finish it or doesn't make their promises).

If you like to script/map then do it whenever you feel it.. Don't force it. Develop whenever you are in the mood and put all your work together.
If you make content would be waste not to use it for your project (unless the quality of content is too bad with your current skills, some work of mine i do not use either, but like 90%+ are or got a slight revamp)

Anyway wish you good luck with your project.
I think people are just lazy.. like seriously lazy.. All I asked for was spell animations and I can't even get that from them.. they have a program to use to make these animations and not one came back to me and said I made this stupid animation.. not one!

But they have no problem asking me to help them with their code.. which I was more than happy to fix.. I am not saying all of them but some.. anyway whatever

Hello,

Just to sort stuff out, since my name has been thrown here without my suggestion, not that I'd care about people talking or thinking about me, I really don't, everyone knows I don't, what I stand for stays in my signature.

Codex asked me to help him out in creating spells to this project; As he's been helpful for me I decided to help him out, the point here is that most of the times I am lazy, I could also spend hours givin' explanations, that I have a 40h/week job, on weekends some free-lance jobs, a server to take care of and last but not least a girlfriend at home, but I prefer to not go into such topics as I know myself it won't help anyone further to know that.

I never released and will never release any source or content I've gotten from anyone without a permission.

Maybe a little bit more of patience would not be harmful in such situations.

I get your irritated but no need to flame. If I recall you have a very bad attitude anyway. I have heard many people talk about how much of a prick you are. So I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get your files just so they can destroy your project later. I'm sure it would take me less than a minute to find multiple posts of your negativity around the forum.

I am not much better, but I am also not crying.

Now to this, I would just like to leave my thoughts:

He's indeed irritated and he's not flamin', it's just venting. I'm not defending anyone but I must say that believing on what the majority says isn't the way to go here. So far this might be concerned to me, I got his files, yes, still I'm not givin' it out to anyone or have any intentions of destroying it.

I can understand him and the way he expresses himself towards the experiences he has had so far, everyone does it in a certain way.

No one here should be judged by being better or worse, this is just a community, we're humans and we do a lot of mistakes, some more, some less, nothing to take into account, anyways, life is meaningless and so are we.

Kindest Regards,
Okke

It might seem sad for many, but I see it as the only absolute attainable knowledge we might ever have achieved, so I prefer myself (by no means I'm pushing this on anyone, it's just my opinion) to hold on to that instead of comforting my eyes in painting pictures of a meaningful life which I don't think I have.

It might seem sad for many, but I see it as the only absolute attainable knowledge we might ever have achieved, so I prefer myself (by no means I'm pushing this on anyone, it's just my opinion) to hold on to that instead of comforting my eyes in painting pictures of a meaningful life which I don't think I have.
Don't you want to feel that you have meaning then?

Yes it's a problem trying to find a committed team, and there are people who promise to work and then disappear, but if you keep looking it can happen. I think a lot of what otland has to offer is networking as friends. Maybe you wont find people to work together as a team but to have people to talk to and go over codes you're working on is really helpful compared to going at it alone. But if you're gonna call out a bunch of people who didn't do everything you wanted them to do when you wanted them to then you're just being a douche imo.

I know that both aled and okke are really helpful guys that have their own lives and projects to work on, so I don't see why you're trying to slander their name over something so stupid. Especially when I seen first hand how you handle working as a 'team'. It's do everything your way or you're blocked and added to the list of lazy people 'wasting your time'.

For people who do not know Codex and are considering joining his project heres my opinion:
Codex is a competent scripter and has contributed to the community but has a hostile personality and others may struggle to get along with him.

Its hard for me to trust him with quotes like this:
lBGiu2T.png

Anyways I look forward to hearing more about this project in the future.

Edit 2/8/2018: The post is still up on Voidcore's discord. Search archlight in the channel main to find it.

Last edited:
Whats up will all the drama on otland lately?
Jesus christ.

We are suppose to stick together and help n motivate each other.
There is no reason to make such a thread Codex. You are just making it worse. Keep it for yourself
No wonder theres less active people nowadays.. Grow up =(

For people who do not know Codex and are considering joining his project heres my opinion:
Codex is a competent scripter and has contributed to the community but has a hostile personality and others may struggle to get along with him.

lBGiu2T.png

Very sad to see this, especially with how much we invest into paying many talented spriters for their work.

lBGiu2T.png

I can fake screen shots too ;)

Very sad to see this, especially with how much we invest into paying many talented spriters for their work.
Too bad you don't pay scripters for their work otherwise I might actually have respect for you..

That is correct, many years ago I also tried collecting team; and even was part of some. In the end, half or less than half unfinished projects. But it looks something far worse has happened to OTServ while I was gone. Now everyone expects payments, money from their hobby work. Only few are actually willing to help in small cases, rest due to their greed don't want to share with solutions - they want money, or state something is to easy go figure it out yourself. (This is how you lock up potential OTServ new feature development, and quality of base - in longer run it kills community and kills potential great ot's.) I always thought the idea was to keep GPL license, guess that changed.

Am I the only one seeing a patern here?

Everybody does, but it so clear people don't even state it anymore.

@Codex_NG @bayview
Keep in mind that when people ask you favors they probably also ask you things they know you good at and would be willing to do, and probably don't take for granted that you would always do what they want and in a timely manner. People relying on you don't make then obliged to anything, if you are feeling being took for granted or that the relationship doesn't seems good for you anymore just step away. Venting it publicly, pointing fingers and such seems just immaturity, specially when the entire community knows who really is hard to deal with.

Not even worth a response, everyone here speaks for me.
Then why are you responding?
Because you are trying to save face, because everyone here or not here knows you bring nothing to the table ever.
You help no one but yourself and you for some reason demand respect when you deserve absolutely none.

Everybody does, but it so clear people don't even state it anymore.

@Codex_NG @bayview
Venting it publicly, pointing fingers and such seems just immaturity, specially when the entire community knows who really is hard to deal with.
Venting in public is important because it keeps the so-called honest people honest.

Am I the only one seeing a patern here?
You couldn't see a pattern if you were wearing a flannel shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back