• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

AMD Not Competing with Intel Anymore, Goes Mobile

Herpicus

Web Developer
Reaction score
In a move that could very well be interpreted as exchanging one problem for another, Advanced Micro Devices has decided to stop focusing so much on the PC business and get its act closer together on the mobile front.

The Bulldozer disaster, as it is known in some circles, must have persuaded AMD's leadership that the PC side of their business wasn't flying very well and far anymore.
Though everyone was expecting much from 8-core processors, the performance was, in the end, well lower than some of AMD's own previous-generation chips. Whether because of this or something else, it was reported that Advanced Micro Devices has chosen to distance itself from its competition with Intel.

As such, they will probably start to customize their Fusion platform in such a way as to create tablet and smartphone chips.
"We're at an inflection point," said AMD spokesman Mike Silverman, according to a Mercury News report. "We will all need to let go of the old 'AMD versus Intel' mindset, because it won't be about that anymore."

If anything, 2011, with more than half a year of lacking an actual CEO, was a clear symptom that Advanced Micro Devices had to do something, and soon. The company has a new leader now and, sure enough, the man took some fairly drastic measures, and that includes more than this latest change in direction, as well as a branded RAM project.The workforce also suffered, especially the PR and marketing departments. AMD had cut total worldwide employee count by 10%.

The complicated thing about the focus on mobile is that ARM already has that well enough in hand, and NVIDIA just launched the Kal-El too. AMD may just be exchanging one headache for another with this.

tl;dr
  • AMD will focus less on processors for PCs and pay more attention to the mobile market.
  • Mobile Market bad idea?
  • nVidia gets to bi-winner, with a chicken dinner in both GPU and Mobile market.
  • lol no more poorfag builds
My thoughts:

> Microsoft CPU
> Monthly subscription
> 3 different cpu settings that require online activation, casual, performance, gamer

> mfw when 50% of computers in daily use are mobile
> mfw this number is rising
> mfw this is actually a good move on AMD's part
> mfw i have no face for you blind fuckers

> implying mobile users buy CPUs to upgrade their PCs
> implying mobile users care what CPU is in their machine
> implying mobile users don't just buy which has more giggabytes and giggahurrs

> implying PC's will be relevant in the near future

> No official Microsoft Word Suite on ARM
> NOPE.mkv

> Very-low end market sector, it's pretty much dominated by AMD

> AMD gives up on GPUs
> Intel merges with nVidia
> 20% performance increase every year for 1000000 mirrion dorras

> Intel cannot into mobile you say?

> AMD has already 'into' ARM. Qualcomm's SoCs are AMD's designs.

> Did AMD even test bulldozer?
> Did they just release it without testing it expecting it to have better performance because it has more cores?

> Quantum Processors

> That feel when you don't understand anything in this post

> 10 years later we only have 30% performance boosts over Sandy Bridge, 10% Boost over Ivy Bridge and CPUs cost thousands.

RIP AMD, you might have been terrible, but at least you were there ;_;

3v2VW.jpg

It's over, AMD is finished.

Last edited:
Eh.. I like the AMD processors.. But I've always gotten Intel. My Uncle told me they actually last longer than the AMD ones (works for Advanced Micro Devices "AMD"). They will still continue the development of them, just at a slower rate, and they will start working on their first projects (Mobile), as they did when they first started. This is coming from him, not sure how true it is, but that's what he says.

Back