• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Athena Dev Thread YATME

Athena1

Reaction score
Yet Another Incomplete Map Editor

source: https://github.com/Tidus123746/Wpf-Map-Editor

For those of you who haven't seen my original thread ( https://otland.net/threads/my-first-program-need-help.241675/ ) I have been developing a map editor in C# with wpf with the goal of adding features that would be a lot harder to implement with RME's architecture and framework.

Notable changes over RME:
1) Making all the brushes editable inside the editor with a friendly UI.
2) Making ground brushes have a smaller border option
3) Having all brushes have a detailed display of what items are included in them, and more control on how your using them. For wall brushes being able to mark all related wall types even if you don't want them placed in the regular placement mode.
4) Editable Custom Palettes - being able to define for example a nature set, and adding all the brushes you normally use when doing a nature theme to that palette. This should cut down on the amount of searching, and list switching that would normally be done in mapping a specific scene.
5) Composition Brushes - Easy to use interface inside the editor that allows you to place 1 or more objects and combine them into a single brush with directions or different states. Examples would be a catapult, a 4 piece fountain using the on and off states as direcitons, or even an entire house

As with most of these editor threads, I wouldn't count on this one being finished either. It is open source, and I have the source committed to git linked at the top of this thread, so if I stop developing this and someone wants to continue they can. I still have a lot more work to do, but I'm looking for suggestions on what could be useful in an editor. I'm not looking to do network related mapping atm, there is a lot of work involved in that and I would rather spend the time adding core features.

Current Progress (some pics are old)

Wall Brush:
Specialty_Pieces.png

Wall Brush Editor:
Create_Wall_Brush_Prompt.png

Ground Brush:
screen1.jpg

Ground Brush Editor:
Create_Ground_Brush2.png

Composition Brush Editor:
Composition_Brush.png

Tile Stack:
Tile_Stack.png

Current State - just added zoning, and coordinate displays:
Update.png

Nice. Its great its being developed with a easier language(than C++) as C#. But i also need to reminds the massive amount of work that Remeres has put in RME. Its a pretty featured map editor, kinda hard to beat :p

Nice. Its great its being developed with a easier language(than C++) as C#. But i also need to reminds the massive amount of work that Remeres has put in RME. Its a pretty featured map editor, kinda hard to beat :p
It does have a shit load of features. But a lot of the features could have better implementations. At the start it will be very bare bones, but it will have a couple features done right. Developing from the ground up with a feature set in mind allows for better architecture for expansion.

Added some options for when you have more than 1 tile selected. Right now there are two things you can do, delete all the borders within the selection, and delete all items in the selection.
Mutli_Select_Options.png

Small update:

Added the ability to rotate, destroy, and decay items on right click.
Teleporters are now working, I still need a way to save and paste positions. Also added the capability to select a raw brush from something in the Item stack. I still need the ability to re order the item stack.
screen1.png

When I was testing the map loading, I noticed that there were a lot of posts in the map I was loading ontop of wall brushes. It was my previous understanding that this wasn't supposed to be allowed. Playing with RME it seems that if you place a post on top of a wall, it will remove the wall and replace it with a post. I found that if you place the post elsewhere and drag it onto the wall that it then doesn't delete the wall. I wasn't sure if this was a bug or a feature, but since its something people were taking advantage of in RME I implemented it as a feature in mine. When placing wall items you can toggle the Enforce Top Order off and it will not delete existing wall pieces. This allows you to place posts from Raw straight onto other wall pieces without them getting removed (you can see the button in the top screen).
screen2.png

Small update:

Added the ability to rotate, destroy, and decay items on right click.
Teleporters are now working, I still need a way to save and paste positions. Also added the capability to select a raw brush from something in the Item stack. I still need the ability to re order the item stack.
screen1.png

When I was testing the map loading, I noticed that there were a lot of posts in the map I was loading ontop of wall brushes. It was my previous understanding that this wasn't supposed to be allowed. Playing with RME it seems that if you place a post on top of a wall, it will remove the wall and replace it with a post. I found that if you place the post elsewhere and drag it onto the wall that it then doesn't delete the wall. I wasn't sure if this was a bug or a feature, but since its something people were taking advantage of in RME I implemented it as a feature in mine. When placing wall items you can toggle the Enforce Top Order off and it will not delete existing wall pieces. This allows you to place posts from Raw straight onto other wall pieces without them getting removed (you can see the button in the top screen).
screen2.png
i remember when I tried to map on my kummerack 8.60 and I had no idea how to make houses. So most of my houses looked like that. :S

This little changes you are making, like enforce top order, smaller autoborder and so on are simply awesome, RME works fine for its purpose but lacks on this kind of features that makes your mapping easier and less time consuming.

I have to deal with a 80~ MB map and if I quit mapping for 6-12 months, when I come back, I have no clue wtf is going on as I've forgotten spawns, quests, level doors, important cordinations...

Easier way to track AID/UID/written text would be awesome, or a heat map for a selected monster for example, so I can see where this monter spawns... its the little things that makes the difference.

Anyway, good work there.

This little changes you are making, like enforce top order, smaller autoborder and so on are simply awesome, RME works fine for its purpose but lacks on this kind of features that makes your mapping easier and less time consuming.

I have to deal with a 80~ MB map and if I quit mapping for 6-12 months, when I come back, I have no clue wtf is going on as I've forgotten spawns, quests, level doors, important cordinations...

Easier way to track AID/UID/written text would be awesome, or a heat map for a selected monster for example, so I can see where this monter spawns... its the little things that makes the difference.

Anyway, good work there.
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are things I haven't even thought of, but sound pretty awesome! They seem pretty simple, Il make sure they get put in :)

I'm wondering how hard will it be to move from RME to yours map editor, palette wise, since we're using an older client version, but with some newer version sprites added, and also quite a few custom sprites. Thus requiring custom palettes, brushes. I'd love if I could just copy paste my custom extensions, or are you planning some merging tool?

Will the only possibility to add custom brushes be via the map editor itself, using your unique feature, or are you using similar/same file system, allowing them to be hand pasted/edited without using YATME?
Yes, the brush editor is a great thing, but merging wise it will consume a ton of time. But I'm willing to lend a hand on adding all brushes/items if you'd only use your feature.

I'm wondering how hard will it be to move from RME to yours map editor, palette wise, since we're using an older client version, but with some newer version sprites added, and also quite a few custom sprites. Thus requiring custom palettes, brushes. I'd love if I could just copy paste my custom extensions, or are you planning some merging tool?

Will the only possibility to add custom brushes be via the map editor itself, using your unique feature, or are you using similar/same file system, allowing them to be hand pasted/edited without using YATME?
Yes, the brush editor is a great thing, but merging wise it will consume a ton of time. But I'm willing to lend a hand on adding all brushes/items if you'd only use your feature.
I will need to make an import tool for RME extensions. The format I'm saving is different, but I need to get the brush lists initialized anyway. My raw pallette atm consists of All,Containers,and magic fields lol.

Got some more cool sugestions if you are open to them..

Ability to draw zones (just like PZ/PVP etc..) but not saved in otbm, just for map editor use. The idea is to be able to paint zones and give them a name, for example towns, dungeons, islands... if you could export minimap it would be nice that it could print the names on it aswell. Also, the ability to have a list in the map editor with those zones and clicking on them would take you there, just like waypoints in RME.

Another little thing, being able to click a teleport and moving you to destination but then being able to go back again.

Got some more cool sugestions if you are open to them..

Ability to draw zones (just like PZ/PVP etc..) but not saved in otbm, just for map editor use. The idea is to be able to paint zones and give them a name, for example towns, dungeons, islands... if you could export minimap it would be nice that it could print the names on it aswell. Also, the ability to have a list in the map editor with those zones and clicking on them would take you there, just like waypoints in RME.

Another little thing, being able to click a teleport and moving you to destination but then being able to go back again.
I made this thread mostly for suggestions so I'm open to everything. I'l definietly keep all of those in mind as I develop the editor. I'm thinking about making an editor only teleport destination item. Basically when you go to the teleport destination, or if your in an area of the map that a teleport is set to go to, there will be an editor only item there that you can click to take you to the teleport. Does that seem like a decent idea to you?

Just do a hotkey return-to-previous-position shortcut. The item idea might get messy when maps are highly decorated, ofc depends on which item, but having a key should be more than enough.

Not sure who would take their time painting an area, when you could simply withdraw a minimap, let it have options such as "hide grounds/doodads" "hide borders" "hide water"
You can use paint to name those areas. Waypoints system is an useful thing, so I'd recommend adding that, but the painting and naming areas is just time consuming and I doubt there will be many people using that.

Back