• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Azure / AWS Cloud hosting vs OVH etc

Beo

Three Magic
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone hosted servers on Azure / AWS rather than OVH etc?

Was performance different on one or another?
Any bandwidth differences?
Cost? Was it cheaper on one or the other?
Has Azure/AWS provided other capabilities OVH etc couldn't?

I'm curious to see if it's worth using cloud services like Azure / AWS over OVH or other private cloud services or if it's more expensive / less performance etc.

Hi all,

Has anyone hosted servers on Azure / AWS rather than OVH etc?

Was performance different on one or another?
Any bandwidth differences?
Cost? Was it cheaper on one or the other?
Has Azure/AWS provided other capabilities OVH etc couldn't?

I'm curious to see if it's worth using cloud services like Azure / AWS over OVH or other private cloud services or if it's more expensive / less performance etc.
Azure is complicated i would go with ovh or another hosting company not even google cloud hosting

Azure is complicated i would go with ovh or another hosting company not even google cloud hosting
Sure, there's a small learning curve to deploy one server, but it's easy to deploy a single server and get started. I guess it'd work for 1k+ players on servers since there's lots of flexibility but maybe not for smaller servers.

Yes but not for production, AWS EC2, more expensive, handy dev environment though
Is the only reason for dev only is costs in your opinion?

I have found the ability to quickly and easily spin up multiple instances in a variety of operating systems useful in the past particularly when you only need the resource for a short period of time.
A good example for OT is you need 4 GB ram to compile and run your server for you and some friends to test etc. but really you only need it for a couple of hours, and are not ready to start paying for a VPS by the month yet.
Lets say the appropriate OVH VPS is US$20 p/m - the instance time and computing power might end up costing you a grand total of $1 on AWS.
Much nicer than $20, but if you were to run that instance all day every day for the whole month the total cost would almost certainly exceed that of the OVH VPS.
I think that AWS etc. hosting can have longer term benefits if you need a "disproportionate" amount of one resource against another. E.g. you need shitload of storage, but little computing power. Unless you get a designer package from OVH you'll be paying for resources you don't need under their set plans.

Recently I've been using AWS mostly to spin up an instance to act as my proxy/tunnel when I want it rather than paying a monthly fee to a proxy/vpn provider.

I assume Azure, GCP, IBM/Softlayer, Digital Ocean pricing etc. works out similar.

Last edited:
Go with the cheapest and easiest, once you grow, go with OVH.
No major server (w/ the exception of some BR servers) was using any other service than OVH when I scraped the internet.
There were a few dozen GCP servers, but none with players over 80.
You can check it out for yourself: Tibia LIVE - Open Tibia Server List (https://tibia.live/)
(note that the list is outdated, it was scraped a year or so ago)

There were only 5 Azure servers at the time, but that's probably because it's less known. I actually prefer Azure over GCP/AWS.

Did anyone sign up for the free azure services? They force you to enter credit card info even tho they say they wont charge you. But I really dont like to give it out. Especially since its pretty easy to do a mistake and purchase something and then you are pretty fked.

Did anyone sign up for the free azure services? They force you to enter credit card info even tho they say they wont charge you. But I really dont like to give it out. Especially since its pretty easy to do a mistake and purchase something and then you are pretty fked.

I use Azure to host all my shit. You can set up a spending limit so that anything you set up that starts accruing cost will be disabled if it would make you go over the limit, so that you don't get charged by error. The things that do charge you solely on creation (such as buying a domain name), have a confirmation dialog and it clearly states that it'll be an X time charge, separate from your monthly bill or something along those lines.

AFAIK we do the credit card thing is mostly to reduce the number of zombie resource instances (i.e. prevent a DDoS with free accounts), and make fraud/piracy a bit harder/infeasible to set up.

Back